It finally died JD F510

My trusty bought new in 1999 JD F510 finally bit the dust. Seems it lost compression and there is some sort of Automatic Decompression Valve located in the crankcase area. Worked it too hard last year moving all the rip rap and shredded tree wood I had.

Still ran good up to that point but it had issues.

So I ordered a JD Z320M ZTrak 42-in 21.5-HP V-twin Zero-turn Lawn Mower from Lowes. Won't be here for another week though. They brag about it's tall grass cutting abilities. We will see.

Order the foot pegs:

r4g051073_z700_19_foot_pegs_angled_350x200.jpg

Both Kawasaki. F510 is single cylinder the new one is V twin. I tried to get a used F510 I found on the net but they couldn't complete the deal for some reason. It's what I would have rather done.

I don't think the new one will be up to the towing around stuff I do with a cart. It's a 1000 lbs loaded with dirt

My trusty bought new in 1999 JD F510 finally bit the dust. Seems it lost compression and there is some sort of Automatic Decompression Valve located in the crankcase area. Worked it too hard last year moving all the rip rap and shredded tree wood I had.

So I ordered a JD Z320M ZTrak 42-in 21.5-HP V-twin Zero-turn Lawn Mower from Lowes. Won't be here for another week though. They brag about it's tall grass cutting abilities. We will see.
Was it smoking leading up to it dying. Maybe it's just the automatic decompression valve that can be fixed?

I thought they only had decompression on pull start engines?

No it was running great. Never has smoked much. It pretty involved to change it. It's part of the camshaft.

It's no compression alright. I took out the plug and cranked and hardly any pushback. You can feel air blowing out from under the cover. I thought a blown head gasket, I suppose it could still be. Either though at this time would require a big teardown.

It was sudden an happened after shutting off from the last mow. As soon as I tried to start it a couple days later I knew it was spinning too fast. Got a couple pops out of it but that was it.

F510 ACR and cam.jpg

What really made me aggravated is I was using a site listed on John Deere's main site to find a used F510. Found one in Kansas with relatively low hours (~450) and a 1998 instead of '99 model. It was listed at $2100. I got them to give me a shipping quote of $450 but when I asked for a liftgate so it could be dropped off at the house they seemed to be out of their league asking If I wanted it delivered to my house. None the less after two more calls and a email to the main listing site no more responses.

I probably got $300 worth of parts for the F510. And it put the delivery date of the new mower once bought back two weeks.

Take the valve cover off to check that the intake valve is not stuck open. This is a common problem on Honda / CHonda but it can happen to anything. Also check that neither valve is too tight-- the rockers should go slack at TDC in the cycle. If you loosen the exhaust that defeats the compression release entirely.

Compression release system will not prevent starting, the whole point is that it is active during starting. Old push mower engines have a fixed compression release bump directly on the cam that is always active-- it didn't prevent running but there is a slight loss of running performance.

Last edited:
OK, I know it's pretty easy to pull the valve cover. Just put a new gasket on it last spring. I really would like to keep it if nothing but for towing my yard wagon and occasional logs telephone poles. The wagon when loaded with dirt or gravel is over 1000 lbs I figure. Used the mower to tow around the wagon and a two wheel cart to move about 60 tons of riprap and gravel with it last year.

I don't think the new one is up to anything like that frame wise.

I guess The hope is a simple repair. They really are not too complex or difficult to fix. I'd be very tempted to use a hammer and some solvent.

Berryman's B12 is about the strongest spray solvent around. It can strip paint over time. It can free a carbon stuck valve.

Did you use a full synthetic oil? That looks pretty clean and varnish free.

Note: You have some dirt in there, don't leave it there. That's a sure-fire way to wear out everything.

Last edited:
Prying with a BF screwdriver I can push it in a 1/4 inch or so. Limited by screwdriver leverage range. Been spraying some PB Blaster and Brake cleaner in the cylinder and working it. Not much further improvement after a while so I sprayed it and will let it soak. At least it's positioned down so some might be getting in to it. Might have to jack the front end up.

Does this engine require a valve clearance adjustment at given intervals?
Mt 1st 17 HP Briggs/Stratton rec'd a valve adjustment at 500 hrs. (Home Depot Deere)
It pushed at rod through the head at 503 hrs.
New one recs 250 hours.

It shows how to adjust but I'll have to find the owners manual maintenance schedule to see if they should be done with any regularity. Probably so....

Did you try the local Deere dealership. I've been told repeatedly to stay away from Lowes and Home Depot as their "John Deere" products are cost cut in quality extensively to make them more competitive.

Did you try the local Deere dealership. I've been told repeatedly to stay away from Lowes and Home Depot as their "John Deere" products are cost cut in quality extensively to make them more competitive.
I did contact both local dealers and they were the same price except for free delivery and free assembly offered by Lowes. Plus the rebates Lowes gives, 5% on the charge and another $200 on John Deere. They all come from the same factory with the same warranty.

Back