Ist new car oil change/switch to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwm

On a new car, should you make the 1st oil change any sooner than the manufacturer suggests? And if I'm going to switch to synthetic, does it matter at which mileage I should do this?

Thanks for your feedback, G.W.

What make and model of the car? I like to change out my factory fill oil at 1000 miles. Honda's come with a special break-in oil and they make it clear to not change it out early. Any other make I'd get it out at 1000 miles.

I wrestled with this as well. Things do go on in the first while in a brand new engine. We bought a new Honda this year and I was shocked when we had 1.5L of oil use (blowby) in the first 4500 km's.

The next 6,000 km's have not shown appreciable oil use, (big relief), but it goes to show that a modern engine (at least a honda V6) is still doing some "bedding in" for the first at least 3000 miles/5000km's.

One guy's experience does not equal data, but for my cars, I'd probably stick with MFG recommendation for at least that first 3k miles/5k km's.

The next question is do you drop the "special" honda break in oil and replace with a MFG recommended oil in the first 1000 miles? I always used to do that, but I read in credible sources that there could indeed be something special about this factory fill. I got to 6500km's on the factory fill or 40% oil life remaining before I had to change it. Darn-near killed me too.

If the manufacturer didn't say anything was special about the factory fill, I'd typically change a few times before it reached its first 5k miles.

Just some ramblings offered to help canvas some of the issues involved.

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT w/2.4L. Toyota engine. Purchased new, currently 800 mi. on odometer, plan to keep for more than 5 yrs. or whenever the rpl. parts run out!

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
The next question is do you drop the "special" honda break in oil and replace with a MFG recommended oil in the first 1000 miles? I always used to do that, but I read in credible sources that there could indeed be something special about this factory fill. I got to 6500km's on the factory fill or 40% oil life remaining before I had to change it. Darn-near killed me too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...440#Post1513440

Keep the Honda oil for 5000-6000 miles, at least. I had this talk with the Honda guy (see 7th post in thread).

Last edited:
I do my first oil change at ~ 2,500-3,000 miles and switch to a full Syn at that time. I do not believe in changing out extra early and in some engines that can be dentramental. I keep my cars to 125,000 miles pluse and several were sold at 176,000 miles without any oil related issues. Works for me on Jeep 4.0, Slant 6 Dodge, Volvo, Subaru, and on and on. My normal OCI is ~ 6,000 with a OEM or PureOne filter. Excellent UOAs after breakin or about 12,000 miles. I also feel you will never go wrong just following the factory recomendations. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back