Issues with Chevy 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend's 2001 Impala is burning oil at a rate that I am not satisfied with and I can't figure out why. It is burning a little over a quart every 1,000 miles and it only has 70K on it. I posted a thread about this a couple months ago and several people said to check the PCV valve. Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located on this engine? I couldn't find it so I took it to O'Reilly and Auto Zone and nobody there could find it either.

I'm not sure if I really trust the guy at Auto Zone anyway though, because he asked what oil I used in it. I told him she used what ever cheap dino she could find. He told me the differing add packs can cause it to burn oil and then told me he would recommend any oil other than yellow bottle because he has seen how it sludges up engines. Oooooookay. I just played dumb like I was any old car owner and not a BITOGer.

He also told me if the PCV was stuck, the car probably wouldn't run or would at least run really rough. That could be true, I don't know, but the car seems to run okay. Can anyone help me out? Maybe I am just asking too much and not wanting it to burn oil at all like my Ranger with the similar mileage.

On the left side of the engine, you'll see a sensor on top of the intake manifold. That's the map sensor. Pull that out (don't break the clips), and under that is a spring loaded cap where the PCV valve resides.

Our 3800 had a leak at the oil pressure sender. Is there an oil leaking near the oil filter on your girlfriends car? The pressure sender is right above the filter.

I didn't notice an leaks around the filter when I changed her oil back in September but I'll look tomorrow when it is light out. I think I know what you are talking about with the map sensor. I'll check that too.

The 3800 shouldn't burn oil. It's not known as a burner. My Buick LeSabre has 70k miles on its 3800 and burns no oil.

Check the PCV valve, and check the valve cover gaskets. The valve cover gaskets are known to leak some oil. Auto-RX cleared up my leaky valve cover gaskets somehow.

A bad PCV valve can cause high oil consumption. As Drew mentioned it is under the MAP on the passenger side center of the intake manifold. Turn the MAP to release it from it's tabs. Also check for oil leaks/vaccuum leaks. Sometimes the plenum can warp some and leak.

Last edited:
When you replace the PCV (it's a $4 part available at any auto parts store), make sure you get the O-rings back on. There are two, a large one that goes into the recess, and a small black one that goes onto the PCV valve itself.

The 3800 is not an oil burner baring abuse and neglect. I agree with the first guy that chimed in probably needs a new PCV. Just do not break the MAP sensor trying to get the top cap off. I broke mine on the wifes car but stuff happens.

Also check the pan,sender,front and rear main seals etc.. for leaks it is unfortunate but GM still can not make seals that last more then 50K before they start leaking....My wifes Buick leaks at every seal a bit.

Thread revival...

Although, if the OP is there, it would be nice to know how it turned out!

BTW, no leaks on my Buick, now at 80k miles. Just changed the PCV the other day, it was pretty easy.

All engines consume oil, many people say that theirs uses no oil if the oil remains within the hashmarks. So if it drops a quart and is still within the marks many will say it uses no oil. That is incorrect, they all use oil. My 3800 SC uses about a quart in 7500 miles. Yes, a quart in 1000 is abnormal but of course most owner's manuals say unless it uses more than 1 quart every 1000 all is well.

Agree on the PCV though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back