Issue with Craftsman gas blower starting

Ok guys I have a 27cc Craftsman bower that went from running poorly to not running at all. In checking the fuel lines after cleaning I found one off (green) that went from the fuel tank to somewhere I can't find a nipple for. The primer bulb looks OK and has 2 black lines running to it. but no other connection Where the heck does the line that is loose go???
Blower 2.jpg

Blower 1.jpg

Blower 3.jpg

Blower 4.jpg

Do yourself a favor and put it out with the trash and buy a real one. You can get a new 2-stroke Stihl handheld blower at an Ace Hardware for $150.

Avoid the Stihl $150 blower.
An old lady with emphysema could do about as well, and would be easier to get started.
This is coming from someone who owns one of the Stihl $150 blowers (mine was on sale @ $129 at the time.)
Little solace.

Ethanol fuel leaves a crust behind when it dries up. Probably what’s in your carb. You get a Chinese knockoff carb on Amazon and new fuel bulb w/hoses for $22. I’ve done two of those carbs. Cranks and runs fine on my weed eater and generator. . EDIT… Just saw that Chevelle in the background. Purdy!

I had one that did the same.
Probably the line that goes down in the tank disintegrated.
I replaced it, and could never get it started. I gave up. Still in my shed.
I'd recommend looking at the Echo.

+1 echo blower,
the lower end stihl is terrible.
The $289 model is pretty good though

Also to be clear, I am not interested in getting a new blower at the moment. Just trying to understand the fuel line connections on my current blower.

Wow all these suggestions instead of just fixing the problem.

I could be remembering wrong, but the fuel line from the tank the one with the strainer on it goes to the top of the carb, and to the bottom of the carb is a line from the primer bulb, and the other side of the primer bulb has the 2nd line going into the tank. If the lines are brittle and it as broken off instead of pulled off a nipple, that's a good sign that it is time to get some fuel line and replace it all. if it does need replaced, y You do not need some kit specific to that model blower, just correct diameter bulk fuel line and cut it to length.

I had one of those that ran fine for about a dozen years on plain E10 fuel. Granted, it might have been a generation where the EPA had not convinced 2 cycle manufacturers to lean them out as much yet. I recall getting a ~$15 aftermarket carb for it on amazon and it was trash with an adjust needle that had stripped threads so had to return that and get another replacement.

Last edited:
Obviously I may have 2 of the black lines connected incorrectly to the fuel bulb. when I only need one, but which one? Green line that's hanging in the wind seems to go into the tank on one end as there is some gas in it. Which black line do I swap out and then where does it go? I do believe that once corrected all will work fine. Diagrams show only 2 lines but I am working with 3.

Do yourself a favor and put it out with the trash and buy a real one. You can get a new 2-stroke Stihl handheld blower at an Ace Hardware for $150.
That's probably going to be pretty much equivalent to what he already has, a homeowner grade blower but that one with the Stihl name markup.

Wow all these suggestions instead of just fixing the problem.

I could be remembering wrong, but the fuel line from the tank the one with the strainer on it goes to the top of the carb, and to the bottom of the carb is a line from the primer bulb, and the other side of the primer bulb has the 2nd line going into the tank. If the lines are brittle and it as broken off instead of pulled off a nipple, that's a good sign that it is time to get some fuel line and replace it all. if it does need replaced, y You do not need some kit specific to that model blower, just correct diameter bulk fuel line and cut it to length.

I had one of those that ran fine for about a dozen years on plain E10 fuel. Granted, it might have been a generation where the EPA had not convinced 2 cycle manufacturers to lean them out as much yet. I recall getting a ~$15 aftermarket carb for it on amazon and it was trash with an adjust needle that had stripped threads so had to return that and get another replacement.
I hear you but working on identifying where all of the lines go is my issue. Working with 2 black, 1 green but only have 2 nipples on the primer bulb.

You may actually have a tank vent line connected to your primer bulb.Line with filter on it connects to usually bigger nipple on bulb other line is a return to tank. If they are correct you can see fuel moving thru. 3rd line probably tank vent tucked up into plastic housing somewhere.Try to move both adjusting needles about 1/4 turn out using whatever tools will work.

You may actually have a tank vent line connected to your primer bulb.Line with filter on it connects to usually bigger nipple on bulb other line is a return to tank. If they are correct you can see fuel moving thru. 3rd line probably tank vent tucked up into plastic housing somewhere.Try to move both adjusting needles about 1/4 turn out using whatever tools will work.
I just have to find which black line needs to be disconnected to put the green one back on. Thanks

Back