Is your internet speed slower then advertised?

I can understand if you are highly supportive of data/internet providers pricing and their services to your home.

For the others dissatisfied and not getting the speed to your home that you though you signed up for, its really simple getting an answer as too why ... https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Thats all my post is about.

(just having fun here and trying to help some people out with a source that gets the attention of your internet provider)

I pay $106 a month with modem rental included. More often that not the speed IS FASTER than I pay for. I pay for 150mbps and see 175mbps most times. The issue is bandwidth on Saturday and Sunday nights when everybody in the neighborhood is home. The provided is Comcast/Xfinity-with no other viable high speed options.

Yup! We went over that in a previous thread I recall ;)

Here:

Last edited:
This for $59 a month
Internet.jpg

The speed depends on the modem or whatever device is used to connect the incoming to the house.
If you have cable company, then it is called a Modem.
An old outdated modem will cause slow down.

Then, after that, the router capability.
Again, old outdated router will cause slow down to the WiFi.

In most cases, if you pay the provider for a modem/router/combo and it has NOT been replaced every 2-3 years (5 years max), then you need to ask for replacement or buy your own and return for pay credit.

Next, in my case, I attached a cooling fan on the router and modem using double sided tape powered to a USB charger.
The new generation router runs relatively hot and it will slow down when it heats up.

Next, in my case, I attached a cooling fan on the router and modem using double sided tape powered to a USB charger.
The new generation router runs relatively hot and it will slow down when it heats up.
Mine sits on top of a 140mm Infinity fan. Drops CPU temps by about 10 degrees C, although I've never seen this router push its dual-core CPU very hard, regardless of my usage. But hopefully running lower temps it'll last longer.

25515280947_d8401df363_o.jpg

26516838558_ab6465f6b1_o.jpg

This is the temperature in the cpu core of one of my Raspberry Pi's. It's in the attic inside of the weatherproof case with a ADS-B USB receiver plugged into it.

The temperature in the attic is about 10°F and the cpu temp is 104°F

raspberrypi:~ $ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
40780 (40°C)

If the CPU is operating, there doesn't appear to be much you can do to lower the core temperature much below 100°F

The CPU in this Raspberry Pi is likely similar to the CPU in most home routers.

I can understand if you are highly supportive of data/internet providers pricing and their services to your home.

For the others dissatisfied and not getting the speed to your home that you though you signed up for, its really simple getting an answer as too why ... https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Thats all my post is about.

(just having fun here and trying to help some people out with a source that gets the attention of your internet provider)
I usually get about 20% faster than advertised speeds, so no complaints in my home.

I pay for 300mb/s and typically see results of 350+ on the machine wired to the residential gateway.

Mine sits on top of a 140mm Infinity fan. Drops CPU temps by about 10 degrees C, although I've never seen this router push its dual-core CPU very hard, regardless of my usage. But hopefully running lower temps it'll last longer.

25515280947_d8401df363_o.jpg

26516838558_ab6465f6b1_o.jpg

My switch has a large internal fan (Cisco Catalyst 2960S PoE) but my firewall (Cisco Meraki MX64) is a sealed unit with no vents and no fan. I believe the aluminum body is a massive heatsink and it is wholly passively cooled.

My cable modem doesn't seem to get very hot, so I'm not worried about it, nor did I pay anything for it (ISP provided).

I upgraded from 25 mbps to 200 mbps for the same price and get 240 mbps with no real big difference

The temperature in the attic is about 10°F and the cpu temp is 104°F

raspberrypi:~ $ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
40780 (40°C)

If the CPU is operating, there doesn't appear to be much you can do to lower the core temperature much below 100°F

The CPU in this Raspberry Pi is likely similar to the CPU in most home routers.
The CPU in my Netgear router is ARM Cortex A9, part of Broadcom BCM4709A0 SOC. This is in ambient temp of around 21°C (70°F):

Without fan:
0c3aGx1.png

With fan:
RIwjzmQ.png

I think the CPU's maximum allowable operating temp is close to 100°C, but the capacitors sitting close by may not like it so hot.

Last edited:
I usually get about 20% faster than advertised speeds, so no complaints in my home.

I pay for 300mb/s and typically see results of 350+ on the machine wired to the residential gateway.
Yes!
I did too and why I started this thread for those not aware. If you have issues and your provider isn’t helping you, file a complaint and they will pay attention.
6 weeks ago I dumped Spectrum (another thread in electronics)
Anyway I returned to Spectrum for a limited time ( I think), I used to get a solid 117 Mbps on my 100 service, but now since reactivating I’m only getting 80 to 90, same measurements, same equipment. In my case though, Spectrum is investigating and will be by our home in two days which impressed me.
I suspect they will not even have to come to the house since nothing has changed here but as of Sunday morning still the same 80 to 90.
Im almost sure its a new algorithm, person at a console turns on your service, the console delivers the almost but not quite amount of bandwidth/speed.
Shave 5 to 10% off everyone and that is a lot of bandwidth saved.
Just half kidding but not really.
I used to get an extra 20% and now I get 10% less, a swing of 30%... Anyway, if they dont fix it in the office, they will be by the house Monday.
Im sure he will connect his laptop and "dial up" the speed a touch. If nothing is done, the cool part is Im done complaining. Just take 5 minutes out of my time, let my tax dollars go to work and my employees at the FCC take care of it. File a complaint with the FCC. Then Spectrum will have to contact me.
Let me stress this isnt a big deal, its just principle and Ill jerk them around like they jerk around the public with no effort on my part..

Last edited:
One thing to also understand if you read the fine print, most internet services say "up to", which means if you sign up for the 100 Mbps service, it does not guarantee you 100 Mbps. It is up to 100 Mbps. This gives them an easy way out in case the customer complains that they're not actually getting 100 Mbps.

Still, if you're not happy, you should certainly voice your complaint - they might do something about it.

Excerpt from Spectrum Residential Internet Services Agreement:

e. Bandwidth.

i. Subscriber understands and agrees that Spectrum does not guarantee that any particular amount of bandwidth on the Spectrum network or that any speed or throughput of Subscriber's connection to the Spectrum network will be available to Subscriber. Subscriber understands and agrees that the speed of the Internet Service provided at Subscriber's site will vary depending upon a number of factors, including Subscriber's computer system(s) and associated equipment (e.g., Subscriber-sourced WiFi routers/access points, etc.), Internet traffic, and other factors such as system capacity limitations, governmental actions, events beyond Spectrum's control, and system failures, modifications, upgrades and repairs. Subscriber understands that Subscriber's wireless connections and use of wireless routers may be subject to greater fluctuations in speed and latency and may be adversely affected by interference, congestion, distance, and other outside factors.

ii. Subscriber understands that Spectrum may use various tools and techniques in order to efficiently manage its networks and to ensure compliance with Spectrum's AUP. Subscriber should reference Spectrum's AUP for additional details.

iii. Subscriber further understands and agrees that, to allocate bandwidth across all of its users, Spectrum may employ reasonable network management techniques as identified in Spectrum's AUP and Spectrum's Network Management Disclosure Statement.

iv. Subscriber's sole and exclusive remedies under the Terms of Service are as set forth in these Terms of Service. Because some States do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties, some of the above exclusions may not apply to Subscriber.

One thing to also understand if you read the fine print, most internet services say "up to", which means if you sign up for the 100 Mbps service, it does not guarantee you 100 Mbps. It is up to 100 Mbps. This gives them an easy way out in case the customer complains that they're not actually getting 100 Mbps.

Still, if you're not happy, you should certainly voice your complaint - they might do something about it.

That is why my post is clear and simple. We all know the words "UP TO"
What I am trying to convey to BITOG members is you do not have to roll over for the internet providers and put up with it.
It doesnt matter what the fine print says! :eek:)

You can roll over like a submissive dog, let them tease you and mislead you or you can take a simple 5 minutes out of your busy day and break their ba__s by filing a complaint with the FCC and your done! No more effort on your part what so ever.
You got even for their "fine print" and your telling the truth in your 5 minute complaint to the FCC when you select in the drop down "not getting advertised speed"
Who cares about anything else?

You then at that time force the internet provider to look into your complaint AND contact you! Just that alone makes it an escalated complaint, well above the 1 and 2 levels if you call them.
Again, NO effort on your part and you pay for this service through your taxes, its all free! Stop over thinking it :eek:) and put an end to it. Fine print means nothing when misleading the public. We all know what it is and so do they and one last time, 5 minutes on your part and your done, you got even.

Last edited:
Nowhere did I say to do that. I specifically stated:

With that said, I am just being realistic about the outcomes.
Its all good and I could care less about the outcome, I am talking about making internet providers respond to consumer complaints AND an official record of what they are doing. The FCC wants this record and input from the public. In addition they MUST respond to you and they MUST report back to the FCC within 30 days.

BTW -However your realism was not my realism when I actually did file a complaint with the FCC.

The outcome for me was very good from TMobile Home Internet, someone from the highest level contacted me, great intelligent conversation and satisfactorily took care of my complaint for me and again, no effort on my part except for 5 minutes to fill out an online form. So impressed that I will try TMobile again once they get their issues worked out.
It was quite clear that I was not talking to some ordinary service representative.

Last edited:

Yep, and the reason for this is simple: over-subscription. You aren't getting guaranteed bandwidth at the rates set for consumer plans or even small business ones.

Bandwidth, as I believe you already noted, is expensive. Reserving it for a residential customer for $60/month? Not happening.

A given node will have X amount of uplink bandwidth and depending on the subscription level within that node, there may be periods where that uplink saturates and performance drops. I provided an example earlier in the thread with Bell. They even bumped him up to the gigabit plan and his performance didn't change, because the limit wasn't a setting, it's congestion on that node.

So yes, that's exactly why that "up to" language is included. And certainly, if the customer complains they may take action to attempt to rectify, but if the issue is congestion, they aren't going to be able to do anything about it and the language stipulates they don't have to.

Hey, I'm paying for gigabit internet and the best I've ever seen is just over 900. I just tested it and 257 was the result, UGH. But it's been really glitchy as of a few weeks ago. They installed a new cable from the pole to my house and it helped a good bit while it was just lying on the ground, but as soon as they buried it, speeds dropped again. I think I'll have them come out and re-check.

The gigabit results in stunningly clear 4K movies on multiple TV's. However, when it glitches, the software reverts the picture to a lower resolution, often very poor, and that's annoying when paying for the best.

Hey, I'm paying for gigabit internet and the best I've ever seen is just over 900. I just tested it and 257 was the result, UGH. But it's been really glitchy as of a few weeks ago. They installed a new cable from the pole to my house and it helped a good bit while it was just lying on the ground, but as soon as they buried it, speeds dropped again. I think I'll have them come out and re-check.

The gigabit results in stunningly clear 4K movies on multiple TV's. However, when it glitches, the software reverts the picture to a lower resolution, often very poor, and that's annoying when paying for the best.
What kind of network equipment do you use with that 1 Gbps connection? Sounds like maybe it is not well suited to handle it, or not configured optimally.

Back