Is Wolfs Head oil considered an off brand

The trademark was originally registered to Pennzoil (now owned by Shell) until at least 2009.[1] The trademark is currently registered to Amalie Oil Company.

Pennzoil and Wolf's Head production facilities were neighbors near Oil City PA, with WH in Reno and PZL in Rouseville.
Around 1960, PZL bought out WH. For the most part, they were operated as separate companies, sharing some resources. Pennzoil's 15W-40 was blended at Wolf's Head. When I started at PZL in 1985, there were still a couple of WH delivery truck bodies in use that had been repainted, and were probably on their tenth chassis by then.
Sales and distribution were kept separate until the '90s, when we were given Wolf's Head quarts to sell along side Pennzoil as a lower cost alternative. From my view, that was very successful. I was told by one of our engineers at the time that WH was chemically identical to Valvoline. A tier 1 base stock with a common, well known additive package from Lubrizol.
We did well with the WH quarts right through the QS merger.
Not long after the Shell buyout in 2004, they spun off Wolf's Head, saying as a regional product, it didn't fit their strategic plan. After promising there would be no changes, that was a big one.

The trademark was originally registered to Pennzoil (now owned by Shell) until at least 2009.[1] The trademark is currently registered to Amalie Oil Company.

There is nothing in those threads that mention Pennzoil.

It's semi-common around here in independant parts stores as well as some regional stores with multiple locations. I've seen it on the shelf at the local Smyth Auto Parts as well as a now-closed, single-store parts store in the small city we live in.

My local API store used to carry it, and I used it almost all the time as top off oil in my Celica Supra that leaked a lot or sometimes even for OCIs, because it was cheaper than Supertech even at that time, and it looked cool and I liked going into API over Walmart, and my local API was super close.

I run Wolf's Head SAE 30 in my Bishamon table lift. I bought a few quarts years ago from a now defunct hardware chain in the Bay Area. I haven't seen WH anywhere since.

I remember Wolf's Head being a popular competitor in the days when many PA. people would only use PA. crude based oil products. QS, WH, Pennzoil and Brad Penn. I can't say I've seen it in decades but I have seen an ad now and then. I did use it in SAE 30 for lawnmowers.

My dad used WH for some years before going QS at some point. He had a couple of ancient one gallon WH metal cans that we used to get lawnmower gas. Not sure how far back those cans were from. I started driving when the steel or cardboard sided qt. cans were around.

I remember the Wolf’s Head TV commercials in the 70’s. It featured a beautiful blonde dressed as little red riding hood with a wolf on a leash running through a field with 70’s cars parked in the field. The theme IIRC was “Run With The Wolf”. To me it seemed to be a ‘ less than premium ‘ brand though it was probably fine.

Wolfs Head has been around for decades. I have used it in some older farm equipment but not in anything new. It is not mentioned in the Forum and I don't recall ever seeing an UOA from it. Would you use it in your vehicle or would you consider it an off brand and don't have confidence in it?
Name brand, off brand. It doesn't matter. As longer as it meets the specs, it is good to use.

Sorry, that sounds snarky. That wasn't my intention.

You should, I actually can because it really isn't that easy to leave a lasting update on Wiki as it has an 'army of bots' that review all edits. But if you have any industry publication of literature on it that would be great as there doesn't seem to be much in the reference section.

I don't go to PA, areas like Bradford, as much as I used to for work but it is kind of sad there isn't much left of the once oil giants legacy the majors like Quaker State and Pennzoil left and Kendell was spun off as a brand name. What's left:

I remember I swiped 5 qts of it from work to use on my winter beater, It was a darker color than the Valvoline I normally used.

You should, I actually can because it really isn't that easy to leave a lasting update on Wiki as it has an 'army of bots' that review all edits. But if you have any industry publication of literature on it that would be great as there doesn't seem to be much in the reference section.

I don't go to PA, areas like Bradford, as much as I used to for work but it is kind of sad there isn't much left of the once oil giants legacy the majors like Quaker State and Pennzoil left and Kendell was spun off as a brand name. What's left:

I was posting from memory of first hand knowledge and what I was told by folks who would have known. I have a couple of Wolf's Head point of sale items, but I didn't save any literature. There might be an old Pennzoil Company annual report in a box somewhere that would divulge some information on Wolf's Head. Those were pretty comprehensive, but I haven't seen one in years.

The old Quaker State Congo refinery in Newell WV, about five miles west of the Pennsy line was still producing lube stock under new ownership. They had a couple of fires last year. One was pretty bad. I'm not sure if they have made repairs and returned to production. The whole area was dotted with little independents that have mostly disappeared.

I remember the Wolf’s Head TV commercials in the 70’s. It featured a beautiful blonde dressed as little red riding hood with a wolf on a leash running through a field with 70’s cars parked in the field. The theme IIRC was “Run With The Wolf”. To me it seemed to be a ‘ less than premium ‘ brand though it was probably fine.

Owned by or used to be Amalie. Always was good oil as far as i know. I would get it from a local auto parts supplier ran 5w20 in my 08 sonata and 5w30 in the 2010 Subaru no problems

My customer's truck long before I knew them. Still in business, but the family sold out ten years ago after just under 70 years of ownership.

36868137_192801241376871_4273507582099849216_n.jpg

Would you use it in your vehicle or would you consider it an off brand and don't have confidence in it?

What is a brand anyway - or what exactly makes a brand a brand?
A name and a logo, an R in circle, the word "Trademark" somewhere on the bottle?
Wolf's Head has those, so why would that be an "off brand?
Maybe it is the amount of money they spend on advertising and marketing?
Why would that affect the quality of the product?

The term "brand" is just a silly psy-op to mess with your head - don't fall for it.

Back