Is undercoating worth it on newer GM vehicles?

Hi all,

My family has 2 Chevy Equinoxes, a 2018 and a 2014. We're considering getting them undercoated with Fluid Film and are wondering if this is a good idea, or if it's worth it. I know some vehicles have better rust protection from the factory than others, but can't really find much info on these vehicles. The 2014 does have some surface rust but nothing major. The 2018 has little to no visible rust. We live in New England and our roads are salted pretty heavily with that awful calcium stuff. My buddy can undercoat them for $200 each and then $50 per vehicle for annual touch ups. What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea or is the factory protection on these vehicles adaquit?

Thanks!

How long are you planning to keep these vehicles?
Rust proofing definitely works and can extend the life of a vehicle quite substantially, but the benefits are not usually realized until the vehicle is over 10 years old.
The 2018 is mine and we're planning on keeping that one for a while. The 2014 is my in-laws and I'm not positive but think they're planning on keeping that one for a while as well.

The 2018 is mine and we're planning on keeping that one for a while. The 2014 is my in-laws and I'm not positive but think they're planning on keeping that one for a while as well.
Then I would do it. $200 sounds a bit steep though, but would be acceptable if your buddy does a tremendous job. That would include spraying all door, trunk, hood cavities, pulling plastic covers and spraying behind them and then finally doing the underside. Ask your buddy what exactly he will spray.

Edit:
Don’t forget rocker panels, they usually have plugs underneath so access to the inside should be easy.

I guess it depends on where you're at, if you live in like upstate new york and have to drive on brined dirt roads, definitely under coat it, but if you live in a place like central Indiana, it's probably not worth it, it seems like anymore the factory rust proofing is good enough that the vehicle won't rust through before everything else on the car fails.

Then I would do it. $200 sounds a bit steep though, but would be acceptable if your buddy does a tremendous job. That would include spraying all door, trunk, hood cavities, pulling plastic covers and spraying behind them and then finally doing the underside. Ask your buddy what exactly he will spray.

Edit:
Don’t forget rocker panels, they usually have plugs underneath so access to the inside should be easy.
Have you undercoated a vehicle? I've done 8-10 at this point and $200 is CHEAP. The amount of work and the level of mess and nastiness makes it well worth paying someone else.

Have you undercoated a vehicle? I've done 8-10 at this point and $200 is CHEAP. The amount of work and the level of mess and nastiness makes it well worth paying someone else.
Yes I have and document my experiences on this board. I used to live in Ontario, Canada, I’m more than familiar with rust, rust proofing and how it should be done vs how it can be done just to impress the customer.

Yes I have and document my experiences on this board. I used to live in Ontario, Canada, I’m more than familiar with rust, rust proofing and how it should be done vs how it can be done just to impress the customer.
If that's the case then you must not value your time very much. To undercoat properly is time consuming. Time is money.

Edit:
Thanks, I'll definitely double check with him on all that.

I guess it depends on where you're at, if you live in like upstate new york and have to drive on brined dirt roads, definitely under coat it, but if you live in a place like central Indiana, it's probably not worth it, it seems like anymore the factory rust proofing is good enough that the vehicle won't rust through before everything else on the car fails.
OP is in New England, so he probably sees more salt than not.

An item of note: When I lived in Peoria IL, they used cinders on the road instead of salt (I am not sure if that is still the case) and cars generally did not rust excessively there. But here in the Chicago area, they pour on the salt to the max!.... Cars here need all the help they can get.

I do a poor man's rust proofing on my Honda civic. I spray fluid film under the rear quarter panels where they are prone to rust. Almost all Honda's rust out in the are where the quarter panel meets up with the rear bumper cover. I also wipe underneath the quarter panel lip and make sure there is not any mud stuck underneath. So far mine looks good and it's over 10 years old. I cannot justify paying $200.00 or more for rust proofing when it more than likely need another application the next year. Vehicles only last so long if they are driven over salty roads frequently and I do not believe it's worth the extra hard earned money. If it's that big a deal just trade up every 10 years. I would definitely spray under the quarter panels of pickup trucks because they rust out like crazy around here. Again, a quick do it yourself job is worthwhile but paying big money is something that is not cost effective IMO. Sometimes you need to let those vehicles age gracefully and after 10 years they are not worth much anyway.

We drive in CT and Western MA.
I do a poor man's rust proofing on my Honda civic. I spray fluid film under the rear quarter panels where they are prone to rust. Almost all Honda's rust out in the are where the quarter panel meets up with the rear bumper cover. I also wipe underneath the quarter panel lip and make sure there is not any mud stuck underneath. So far mine looks good and it's over 10 years old. I cannot justify paying $200.00 or more for rust proofing when it more than likely need another application the next year. I know others will disagree however if you pay that much after 3 years you are out $600.00. Vehicles only last so long if they are driven over salty roads frequently and I do not believe it's worth the extra hard earned money. If it's that big a deal just trade up every 10 years. I would definitely spray under the quarter panels of pickup trucks because they rust out like crazy around here. Again, a quick do it yourself job is worthwhile but paying big money $400.00 per year for 2 vehicles is something that is not cost effective IMO.
It's $200 per vehicle for the first year but then only $50 per vehicle per year for touch ups.

It's $200 per vehicle for the first year but then only $50 per vehicle per year for touch ups.

With fluid film or other light oil based rust proofing product, like Krown or Rust Check, there is no such thing as a touch up. They need to be sprayed all the same every year if you want the full benefit. It’s because they get washed off during winter in most areas exposed to water. Inside cavities don’t need to be sprayed as often though.

Then perhaps you should re-read what I posted about that price instead of assuming things about me.
Let me put it this way. Would you undercoat someone's car for $200, and do the outstanding job you are talking about?

I wouldn't touch someone's car for that money. I'm no snob, it's just not enough for the labor. Not to mention its at least $50 worth of material also.

Hi all,

My family has 2 Chevy Equinoxes, a 2018 and a 2014. We're considering getting them undercoated with Fluid Film and are wondering if this is a good idea, or if it's worth it. I know some vehicles have better rust protection from the factory than others, but can't really find much info on these vehicles. The 2014 does have some surface rust but nothing major. The 2018 has little to no visible rust. We live in New England and our roads are salted pretty heavily with that awful calcium stuff. My buddy can undercoat them for $200 each and then $50 per vehicle for annual touch ups. What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea or is the factory protection on these vehicles adaquit?

Thanks!
GM trucks are known to leave the factory brand new with chassis and frame rust

Back