Is this tie rod tool useful?

Well it's a little more thread to spread the blows out. Useful if you don't want to use a pickle fork, potentially ruining the rubber on a part you want to put back together.

You can save your old tie rod nuts in a junk drawer with the same effect-- double stack them if you have to.

Ok forget that one. I WILL be ordering one of these after struggling for 2 hours getting the end off.

31ebWnYbbNL._AC_.jpg

If you use the original nut, there's a 50/50 chance your going to mess it up with that hammer, especially if it's as rusted as badly as the one in the picture.
As long as you can get the proper thread, this tool would work much better. IMO

I like the idea. On my Mercedes cars some of those tapered joints set in pretty hard. Getting the off can break even the most substantial pullers.

I suspect a nut or two on the thread might work, but this really protects the thread for situations where you do not want damage.

I’m sure someone could make these out of some steel stock and a few drills/taps.

Go to the 4 minute, 20 second mark of the video to see the tool in action.

Thanks. I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue doing that. Even on older cars that have seen weather for decades. I always figured that “seized tie rods” was mostly a shop moneymaking trick. Our cars see salt, maybe not at Buffalo, NY levels. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the one in our odyssey came off after almost 100k of use.

But good to know such a tool exists if needed.

Thanks. I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue doing that. Even on older cars that have seen weather for decades. I always figured that “seized tie rods” was mostly a shop moneymaking trick.
The left one on my 6 year old Subaru was awful to remove without it. Even with heat it was a quarter turn at a time, then reheat again.

I like the tool. I do exactly the same thing with the nut. I set it so it's flush with the end of the stud and give it a whack. Tool is probably better.

Back