Is this the reasoning behind K&N oiled filters?

Technically yes, but K&N's newer recommendation to clean every 50,000 miles is too soon.

A fresh K&N does a poor job of filtering contaminants out. A dirty K&N is better for filtering, since the oiled dirt will trap more dirt.

I had 2 K&N Filters on my vehicles. The first was one of those cone shaped "K&N Filter Systems" I put on a 1991 Fox body Mustang LX 5.0. that was my wifes car.

I did it because the factory plastic airbox developed a large crack behind the filter, and the dealer wanted a fortune to replace it. So the K&N was the best option cost wise.

The second was just a matching size factory filter I put on my 1991 Ford F-150. That I long ago removed, because it was a royal pain to service. I mean really. You pay more, then you have to wash the thing with their special cleaner, (which makes a big mess).

Then you have to let it air dry for hours. Then you have to oil the thing with their special oil, (which makes another big mess). And after all that, it doesn't filter well until it gets somewhat dirty again.... At which time you then have to start the entire process all over again.

Until you own one of these things, you don't realize just how futile and time consuming the whole silly, expensive process is. It's a bit like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop.

It didn't take long before I cleaned it, put it back in the box, and went back to pleated, paper air filters you simply toss when dirty.

MrStamper: Yes it is. As per your link, the K&N's original name was the "Mucus Panel".
However, the owners soon learned nobody wanted to wash it so they substituted their initials.

I had 2 K&N Filters on my vehicles. The first was one of those cone shaped "K&N Filter Systems" I put on a 1991 Fox body Mustang LX 5.0. that was my wifes car.

I did it because the factory plastic airbox developed a large crack behind the filter, and the dealer wanted a fortune to replace it. So the K&N was the best option cost wise.

The second was just a matching size factory filter I put on my 1991 Ford F-150. That I long ago removed, because it was a royal pain to service. I mean really. You pay more, then you have to wash the thing with their special cleaner, (which makes a big mess).

Then you have to let it air dry for hours. Then you have to oil the thing with their special oil, (which makes another big mess). And after all that, it doesn't filter well until it gets somewhat dirty again.... At which time you then have to start the entire process all over again.

Until you own one of these things, you don't realize just how futile and time consuming the whole silly, expensive process is. It's a bit like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop.

It didn't take long before I cleaned it, put it back in the box, and went back to pleated, paper air filters you simply toss when dirty.
Same - many experience their filter and a flowmaster just once

I don't have evidence, but I suspect K&N built their business back when OEM's were leaving hp on the table, with restrictive intake and exhaust, due to lack of consumer demand (everyone wanted mpg) and not being able to easily (cheaply?) hit emissions and mpg targets. Today people want the most out of their car, so intake and exhaust systems are not the bottleneck they used to be, at least not until big power is added.

Most people drive at part throttle, and if the intake clogs a bit, they just open the throttle a bit more--and never notice. Only at WOT might it matter.

I never found cleaning an re-oiling a K&N filter particularly difficult or messy. And the oil in the spray bottle made for easier application of the oil without over-oiling.

I never found cleaning an re-oiling a K&N filter particularly difficult or messy. And the oil in the spray bottle made for easier application of the oil without over-oiling.
Even if you've found that to be the case, why go through all of that trouble, not to mention expense, and end up with an inferior air filter, that doesn't provide the small particulate filtering ability the factory disposable filter does?

No K&N for me. Been there, done that. 5hp gain at max RPM while letting more dirt thru, fouling MAF sensors if over oiled, cleaning hassles and just 50's technology on today's cars is dumb in my opinion.
I have to agree. 25 years ago I got sucked into their marketing and hype. But today there is more to lose, than there is to gain by employing these outdated things on your vehicle.

And if you operate it in extremely dusty conditions, you very well could be doing long term harm to it.

Same - spray can oil is much easier. It's so infrequent at ~50K intervals anyway.

^^Friend's son dumped a Jeep on which he installed a K&N CAI.
During a clean up, he found 2 or 3 spray bottles of the oil and gave them to me.
I have misplaced them since but am doing a large clean up of my own.
There are only a few places they could be.
If I find them, do you (TiGeo or someone else) want them for just the postage? Payable in USPS stamps.

I tried one once and didn't particularly like it. But that was a rectangular box filter.

I do recall seeing a Toyota 86 TRD. Looked under the hood and it had a sticker on the air box saying that it had a special TRD air filter that was designed to be cleaned and reused. That was completely factory too.

I tried one once and didn't particularly like it. But that was a rectangular box filter.

I do recall seeing a Toyota 86 TRD. Looked under the hood and it had a sticker on the air box saying that it had a special TRD air filter that was designed to be cleaned and reused. That was completely factory too.
LOL. TRD air filters are made by AFE with fancy TRD embroidery on the filter.

K&N air filters are good for racing applications run at WOT and frequently rebuilt.
K&N air filters are not good for stock street applications where WOT is infrequent and longevity is desired.

We have used K&N for years on our sprint cars but we always use with foam outer wraps and use super sticky Spectro oil that requires special cleaner and they flow and clean the air but not using them on a street engine that is for sure

I do not like them much either, but on my Magnussen supercharged suburban, it came with the kit. Just to test, I put the paper back in, and it did pull a vaccum in the box. Biggest reason is MAF sensor getting oiled and reading wrong.

Many k&n cold air intakes also relocate the filler to the front bumper/fender and then the filter gets covered in road grime. And some people never oil their filter either.

Back