Is this Television a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad deal. Ask yourself if you need a "smart" tv or not. Specifically if you would use the apps from that tv. Stand alone devices like Roku do a much better job of making a tv a "smart" one than having it built-in. And you pay a couple hundred extra for this feature, and a Roku is less than $100.

Also with 4k now becoming the standard, that tv is already outdated. However 4k tvs only have 60 Hz refresh rates currently, where this one is 240, so that it something to consider.

Why don't you want a few weeks for black Friday sales? A lot of the special sale tvs are specially made for Black Friday, but even "regular" model tvs are often cheaper then. You could also look at open box. As long as the tv wasn't a display, open box is a good way to go to save some cash.

But, in the end, this tv isn't a bad deal as is if you decide to buy it.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Ask yourself if you need a "smart" tv or not.

Most of these larger TVs are somewhat "smart" these days, whether you want it or not. I believe the OP already has Roku, so he's probably not buying it for the "smart" aspects of it. It's just a good price for a quality 55" TV, IMO.

Yeah I don't care about smart stuff (Have a Roku 3 and a Amazon Fire stick on the way).
BUT these days as the smart TVs are the norm, they tend to get better software and more features, and in some brands, better panels. (Panny has not been known to do panel lottery like Samsung, and hopefully that hasn't changed).

Black Friday sometimes INCREASES prices - (and I am NOT going to stores and get shot), it's a trick retailers often do.

4K ? no interest. Prices are way too high and no promise of enough material. I didn't know it's the standard already ???

We watch movies mainly, but a very narrow selection. I mainly want decent pic quality AND the increase in size, as the 40" is bit too small in our new living room.

Coming from someone who still has a CRT in their living room due to never being satisfied with pixelation and other artifacts on led tvs to date... Id wait for 4K to come out in earnest and with better specs. I mean why not?

The newer Tv's have terrible sound. I just got rid of my large projection screen toshiba 50 inch tv. It had several 5 inch speakers in the bottom. Newer slim tv's do take up less space and its a trade off space for decent sound. None of them have decent sound unless you add a sound system.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
None of them have decent sound unless you add a sound system.

Yup. Separate sound system is a must, regardless how good/bad the built-in speakers are, at least for me.

yep - I also don't rely on TV speakers; I have my BR player and Netbook (My "HTPC") connected to the main audio system. With Roku (no analog out, only HDMI, which means only TV speakers), I have been using the Headphone out of the TV to connect it to a 2.1 Yamaha PC speaker system which is loads better. However this Panny has NO HP jack
frown.gif
only optical out, which means i will have to convert optical out to PCM, then use my existing DAC to connect it to the amp.

if i really need a HP out, i need to buy a dongle / DAC that has a HP out jack.

pulled the trigger btw
smile.gif
going to be my b'day present.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
However this Panny has NO HP jack
frown.gif
only optical out, which means i will have to convert optical out to PCM, then use my existing DAC to connect it to the amp.

Just buy an HDMI A/V receiver already.
smile.gif

I plug my Chromecast directly into the receiver to avoid all these audio problems.

I pulled the trigger on a Samsung 46" HDTV that has the smart features about 2 years ago. I love it. The Netflix, and Amazon built into the TV are nice. I was going to get the 40" with the slower CPU, but went with the bigger one with a faster CPU. Got it at Costco, and it came with their free 2nd year warranty.
I have watched some youtube videos, and you can surf the net, but not into that feature. I bought a little keyboard to use the smart features. When my daughter flies in she always watches Netflix, and Amazon prime on it.

I know most of the guys on here poo poo the smart TVs, but I really like mine. I bought the Samsung F6350. I want to hook up a skype camera at some point. I have read you need to use a Samsung camera.

Found this official video of one of the smart features (Life+Screen) on the 2014 Panny line up...
I MIGHT use some of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back