TV experts what is the difference on these 2 tv's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was tv shopping and looking at these two tv's. I would like a Plasma for the refresh rate. Why such a price difference on these two by same manufacturer?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/51-class-50-3-4-diag--plasma-1080p-600hz-smart-3d-hdtv/8490071.p?id=1218877693027&skuId=8490071&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=13#tab=specifications

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30551F5500/...mer-reviews-tab

T They look similar to me, but I am not to knowledgable on these new tv's . I dont need 3D but some other capabilities would be nice. I currently have a Roku, so will the tv below do essentialy the same thing when I hook up the Roku

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/51-class-50-3-4-diag--plasma-1080p-600hz-hdtv/8239047.p?id=1218866283709&skuId=8239047&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=7

"The flagship set has new and improved 3rd generation AR filter: the Real Black Pro, which helps preserve the black color fidelity, regardless of the ambient lightening conditions, in addition to working towards minimizing the on-screen reflections, thus the higher-end TV further increases its lead on the F5500 in terms of its suitability for bright rooms.

Being Smart Evolution ready, the F8500 is more future-proof when it comes to Smart TV capabilities, because it can be upgraded via a hardware kit (that is sold separately), which updates the TV with new software and adds new features and more content. On the other hand, the F5500 doesn't support the Smart Evolution kit.

The flagship has a retractable built-in camera, so the gestures for controlling the TV are supported out-of-the-box. The step-down model also offers Motion Control functionality, but it requires an external camera (which you can get as an optional accessory), since there is no built-in one.

The F8500 has quad core processor, while its opponent has dual core, so the former can load the Smart TV applications and web pages faster (but it also depends on the connection speed).

The top-tier has 4 HDMI and 3 USB ports, while the second-in-line has 3 HDMI and 2 USB inputs. They both have built-in Wi-Fi as well as an Ethernet port for a wired connection to the Internet.

The same 600Hz sub-filed drive of the panel is employed by both of them, so they are equally suitable for fast-motion content (e.g. sports and action films)."

http://plasma-tvsguide.blogspot.com/2013/11/pn64f8500-vs-pn64f5500-pn60f8500-vs.html

If you're shopping plasma I would strongly urge you to consider the Panasonic ST series. I have the 50" model and it is utterly phenomenal.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

"The midlevel price and outstanding quality of the Panasonic TC-PST60 series make it our strongest TV recommendation ever."

"The ST60's picture fidelity is outstanding. It compares favorably to the best TVs I've ever reviewed, with superb, inky, deep black levels; ample shadow detail; accurate color; and very good video processing."

(note you can find it for significantly less than the prices shown next to the review)

You sound like me - don't care about 3D, smartTV functions, a dozen HDMI inputs....

I am totally pleased with my 60" LG Plasma, no frills model for $600. Bigger is better when it comes to TVs. You quickly become used to the size.

Is it as awesome as a top of the line Panasonic Plasma? I guess not, but I don't have one to compare to side by side. I do know I am just as pleased with it as I was the 58" Panasonic Plasma I had before it (no frills base model also).

I am not an audio visual tech geek, but I like it and all of my friends who come over are impressed with it.

Of course you can't go wrong with the Panasonic, but the price and the swivel base sold me on the LG.

I can tell you that glare is not a major issue UNLESS you have a daylight window directly behind where you sit - the TV will act like a mirror and wash out the picture. I have a sliding glass patio door behind my couch and I had to install some dark curtains to block the light.

YMMV

Plasma TV's generate a lot of trash in the form of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI).

If you don't listen to AM radio or have a Ham Radio operator in the area you will be OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182
If you're shopping plasma I would strongly urge you to consider the Panasonic ST series. I have the 50" model and it is utterly phenomenal.

This.

I can tell you that glare is not a major issue UNLESS you have a daylight window directly behind where you sit - the TV will act like a mirror and wash out the picture. I have a sliding glass patio door behind my couch and I had to install some dark curtains to block the light.

YMMV
[/quote]

I have a sliding glass door which will be on the same wall as TV not behind it, will this be an issue. I can close the blind but just curious.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

"The midlevel price and outstanding quality of the Panasonic TC-PST60 series make it our strongest TV recommendation ever."

"The ST60's picture fidelity is outstanding. It compares favorably to the best TVs I've ever reviewed, with superb, inky, deep black levels; ample shadow detail; accurate color; and very good video processing."

(note you can find it for significantly less than the prices shown next to the review)

Is this your TV the model number is a little different. I am in NJ like you could you pm me with price and where to buy it cheaper. I may be interested in this TV

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605...=33-259742999-2

+1 to a Panasonic plasma.

We have a 1080p model that's a couple of years old and it's been flawless and the picture blows away most LCD/LED that I've seen, especially with action movies and hi-def sports.

Regarding the typical complaints people have about plasma:
1 - Heat has not been an issue for us. Modern plasmas are more efficient than sets from 10 or 15 years ago.
2 - Glare is an issue if we open the curtains as the TV is mounted opposite two windows. Blackout curtains solved this problem.
3 - It does consume more power than a comparable LED set. However, the difference is immaterial when discussing a set that's on 20-30 hours per week. If you operated a sports bar with 30 TVs operating 12 hours per day, then power might be an issue.
4 - Plasma sets generally weigh more than LED and LCD sets. I have not removed the TV from the wall since I installed it. Even if you carry your TV set with you everywhere you go, two adults can easily carry a typical plasma set.

The picture rocks.

That is the model number and I got mine from Amazon in November. Unfortunately, they don't carry it anymore. I want to say mine was ~$50 less but since they're becoming harder to find I'd jump on that one from Sears.

I just purchased a new plasma
smile.gif

I had my heart set on the Panasonic VT60 so off I went to the Panasonic dealer to compare the VT60 against the ZT60. Both were really nice...I mean really nice..

I'm friends with the manager so we cut to the chase without the [censored], he told me that in a darker environment the Panasonic's were at the top in blacks, skin tone. They also have nice sound. He told me I would be disappointed with the Panasonic in my bright room...what a bummer...he took me over to the room full of high end LCD/LED/OLED's and pointed to the Samsung PN60F8500, he said that's all I need to know about plasma in my lighting conditions. He said that overall in the real world of less than ideal lighting conditions the Samsung F8500 series is the best plasma. I bought the Samsung and I'm more than pleased, this set is stunning.

Now

If I were to look at the non-8500 series Samsung plasma I would pass because the Panasonic ST series would be the better choice.

I also have a Panasonic plasma (TC-P60U50). It's a 2012 model and the entry level series for Panasonic plasmas. A lot of reviewers of this TV used the term "dumb" as in no 3D and no internet connection. That's exactly what I wanted as I already have a Google TV box and don't need 3D. It was $800 when I bought it about a year ago. It has a fantastic picture and was a huge improvement over my 42" Sony LCD projection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back