Is This My Imagination or What?

I had this shudder on take off at 15 mph in my 2005 LS430. Not every time. Very Slight.
Gone at 20 mph. I posed the question here and obviously, it couldn't really be answered in a forum.

Last night I decided, what the heck, let's drain and try a different gear oil. No biggy.
See if a different brand of gear oil would alleviate this shudder.

I changed it out and drove to the dumpsters. About a 10 mile round trip. The shudder
is gone. I stopped and started probably 30 times. No shudder.

Full disclosure, the gear oil that was shuddering was a 75W-110 and I replaced it with
75W-90. Two well known and highly respected name brands.

I ain't gonna tell you what I was using or what I substituted. Not here to bash and get
panties all in wads.

My question is, could that slight shudder have been caused by my differential not liking
a particular brand?

Please note.

No shudder until right at 15 mph and gone almost immediately.
Not repeatable but it would do it at least 1 out of 5 times.
Very slight. My wife would not notice.

This car did have the drive shaft replaced a year ago. My mechanic was replacing
the hanger bearing and separated the drive shaft and we could never get it balanced.

If you're sure it's fixed, that's a good thing, but just note, I've never heard of a LSD shuddering while traveling in a straight line. They normally produce clutch chatter while turning, if the required friction modifier isn't present in the oil.

Torque converter was my suspicion. Let us know if it re-appears.

If you're sure it's fixed, that's a good thing, but just note, I've never heard of a LSD shuddering while traveling in a straight line. They normally produce clutch chatter while turning, if the required friction modifier isn't present in the oil.

Well, I ain't sure. I can tell you that. I'll need to drive it a lot more to be completely sure. I'm over 90% confident.

This shudder would not be noticed by most anyone else.

Please note.

No shudder until right at 15 mph and gone almost immediately.
Not repeatable but it would do it at least 1 out of 5 times.
Very slight. My wife would not notice.

This car did have the drive shaft replaced a year ago. My mechanic was replacing
the hanger bearing and separated the drive shaft and we could never get it balanced.
Straight line will not cause shudder or chattering with a limited slip. If you notice it returns again I would suspect the shaft or TC.
I cant see fluid making any difference.

Just for the record, it ain't limited slip. I jacked it up and turned a wheel. Goes in opposite direction.

I'll give it some more time. Starting and stopping. Sorta weird....

I was thinking that it might be “borderline”. I really have no idea. I’ll give it some more test drives

This !!!a diff issue is noticed when wheel speeds are different, as in a turn, or a whine at speed or during accel or decel. A shudder is usually an issue with the trans.

Back