Is this Dunlop tire really 20 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used car (96 camry) and while the front tires were new, the back was pretty old. one of them was from 2007 but the other one confused me. Is this tire really from 1994? It only has 3 numbers.

Z8XfpuL.jpg

zUo5ddg.jpg

ylXpUkz.jpg

It could be from 1984. Missing a triangle next to the date code. However, "1990s triangles" are optional, so you could see when they produced that specific model.

Used car dealers are good at digging through junkyards-- they figured a camry wouldn't go to a "car guy" and no one would be the wiser.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It could be from 1984. Missing a triangle next to the date code. However, "1990s triangles" are optional, so you could see when they produced that specific model.

Used car dealers are good at digging through junkyards-- they figured a camry wouldn't go to a "car guy" and no one would be the wiser.

That's crazy. I thought I was reading it wrong and looked all over for another 4 numbers. Tire looks ok, has about 4-5/32 tread but I know you can't tell whats going on in the inside.

There is a great sale right now but with shipping won't get here until next week. I called a guy that sells used tires and he didn't have any right now. I called two other places and they didn't have used tires in that size either which is strange because I see 2nd Gen Camrys everywhere in NYC.

eljefino has it exactly right.

Prior to 2000, the code was 3 digits, and the arrowhead (triangle) was optional, but widely used, but that really started in the early 1990's, so Dunlop might not have made the transition, if they made it at all!

The transition to 4 digits started late 1999, and completed mid 2000.

DOT codes weren't required on both sides until 2008 - and even then the date code was only required on one side - and it was the side intended out. The other side has to be compete except for the date code.

But prior to 2008, this was all optional. The only thing was that the complete DOT code (including date code) needed to be on one side.

And the first DOT codes were made somewhere in the late 1960's. Prior to that was a manufacturer code of which there were many, many different systems.

Plus, DOT codes are only required on street tires. Other types of tires MIGHT use the same coding structure without the letters "DOT", but many manufacturers do not (to prevent confusion between street and non-street tires.)

Just an FYI, the company I worked for produced street versions of their racing tires, and the racing versions had a really abbreviated coding (plant and date code only), but the coding was the same as the DOT coding.

That tire is 20 years old, period. I put those same tires on a Plymouth Sundance Turbo 20ish years ago. They were an all season performance tire.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
or the previous owner went to a local junkyard and picked up a used tire on the cheap.

This is the more likely scenario.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
or the previous owner went to a local junkyard and picked up a used tire on the cheap.

The guy told me that tire went flat a couple days before he sold it to me so he went to a place and they put one on. I figured he just told them to give him the cheapest one possible. It's fine though, I got it for 1,200 and the two front one were brand new.

We ran D60A2s . . . in the early '90s.

Yeah, it's that old a tire.

My recollection is that it was a good performing tire for that era.

But no way should that tire be in service today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back