Is this a good use case for TruFuel?

Hello guys. First time poster, but I’ve been lurking here for years.

I’m awaiting delivery of my new Honda EM6500X2AG generator. This is a home backup generator - so it will see limited use save when I’m out of power. In the interest of keeping my carb clean and everything working well, I was considering either Stabil 360 in my gas or going w/ TruFuel. I’m leaning towards the TruFuel for the following reasons:

A. As I understand it, I don’t have to keep the tank full since TruFuel has no ethanol in it. No ethanol, no phase separation/water problems. W/ stabalized regular gas I’d need to keep the tank full, and I’d also need to turn over that 6.5 gallons of gas so that I didn’t maintain a residual of old gas mixed w/ the newer treated gas. This would mean running the generator under load for hours on end in order to turn that old gas over.
B. The TruFuel can sit in the tank for 2 years before I run into problems
C. The TruFuel doesn’t need to be treated.

So I’m thinking I can keep two or three gallons of TruFuel in the tank and simply run the generator once a month for an hour or two. Once I need to actually put the generator into service, I can fill the tank with normal gas at that time. Once I’m done ‘using’ the generator, I can run the generator dry and put another two to three gallons of TruFuel back in.

Is this a good strategy? I just retired my Subaru generator after many years of service due to a gummed up carb and lack of parts availability. *Plus, I wanted a genset that put out cleaner power then the Subaru did anyway*

Thanks !

I run TruFuel in my mower and trimmer all summer, and park them with it in the winter. Never an issue. Doesn't seem to leave deposits on carb parts, as they both start immediately and run well when spring comes. But I'm not looking at a 6.5 gallon tank on either of them. If you run into a situation where you actually need to use the generator, throw some top tier in it until your power is restored. Then siphon it back into a can and pour it in your car, and refill the generator with TrueFuel.

Right, that’s what I’m thinking. When its time to actually use the genny, put regular gas in (I’d even treat that just in case) and let it rip until the power comes back on. Then replace what’s left w/ TruFuel. Sounds like I’m on the right path?

Do you have any stations selling ethanol-free gas nearby? It's a state-by-state thing for the most part: I've seen loads of them in MN (premium), NE/IA (usually regular for 30ish cents more), and other states (WI has them in many more rural areas). In MN, they are usually particularly common near lake areas/vacation spots due to boats and the like, but about half of our southern MN town's stations have ethanol-free premium. My experience in NE and IA is that still more offer ethanol-free, usually in the form of a second 87. MO and IL are harder to find it, though, for example.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

If not, I might run a bit of TruFuel in the tank, but there's no way I'd buy very much of it. Another option is that you could also look into separating the ethanol from gas using water (important to use the highest octane you can find).

Save going to an airport for aviation fuel, I don’t live next to anything that sells it at the pump. I’m in NJ.

That’s why I said maybe I’d put a couple of gallons of TruFuel in the tank - it could be there a year or more if my power doesn’t go out. And with TruFuel, I wouldn’t have to worry about air in the tank causing moisture problems. If I understand correctly.

I've become a convert despite the cost; I use a mix of that and 100LL avgas from my sumping and haven't had a storage problem in a few years.

I just got tired of the difficult starts, jet and bowl cleaning, etc. with pump gas despite Sta Bil, etc. I'm not disputing Sta Bil's effectiveness at the 6 mos to 1 year interval, but sometimes my OPE would be dormant longer than that, also two of my Briggs engines seemed very susceptible to bowl corrosion despite additives.

An alternative is Mogas from a local airport. 100LL is also a good alternative for long term stability, but is leaded so not appropriate if u have a catalyst or use syn oil (maybe). Both are less expensive than tru fuel.

Last edited:
I would as well, but as stated my options are pretty much limited to the stuff in the can I‘d have to buy at HD or Lowes. Sadly.

TruFuel will work well. I recommend it to my small engine customers with small 2-cycle equipment that gets rarely used, since it doesn't cost them much more per year, and it won't damage the fuel system like E10 gas. Unfortunately where I live there are no ethanol free fuel stations that are easily accessible.

You might want to add stabilizer like Sta-bil 360 Marine if the machine is stored in a damp environment like a lean-to, basement, or outdoors. Even though using ethanol-free fuel won't attract moisture like the E10 fuel, it doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of water contamination.

Ok, I’ve got 2 new bottles of Stabil 360 (not the marine kind). I’ll add a couple ounces to the mix. Whatever keeps the fuel system clean and ready to go.

Save going to an airport for aviation fuel, I don’t live next to anything that sells it at the pump. I’m in NJ.

That’s why I said maybe I’d put a couple of gallons of TruFuel in the tank - it could be there a year or more if my power doesn’t go out. And with TruFuel, I wouldn’t have to worry about air in the tank causing moisture problems. If I understand correctly.

If you're near the PA border, some Wawas in PA have E0, and a station in South Jersey for $5/gal. ill up your car and carry a gas can in the trunk to fill for your generator :)

I think Honda is way ahead of you on this issue. They provide a fuel drain valve and hose right on the carb on my EU3000. Just run a little sta-bil fuel or true fuel if you prefer for the last run. I run mine till empty. Drain the rest using the tube and you're done.
I saw some tests on sta-bil a while ago, and it really didn't fair to well, none of the several types actually prevented varnish and deposits.
Honda has an excellent reference resource on their website that will tell you everything you need to know about fuel type and long term storage of their generators.

I have an EU2000i for power outages. I just drain the carb's floatbowl, and empty the fuel tank when I'm not going to be using it for awhile. Keep your stablilized regular gas, Trufuel, or non-ethanol gas in a 5-gallon jug, rotate it into other OPE, your cars, etc. to keep it reasonably fresh, and only fill the generator when you need to use it. It may take a few tugs on the starter rope (or spins of the starter motor) for the generator's fuel system to prime (it reliably takes 10 or 11 tugs on my EU's starter rope), but it's a Honda, and it will start, so keep the faith. This prevents any stale gas problems when you need the equipment to work.

So I just got back from my local OPE dealer for a unrelated reason. He advised, for the generator, to put TrueFuel in the tank. Maybe a gallon or two for the 6.1 gallon tank. Run it for an hour or two every month b/c its healthy for the electrical end of things. But keep TrueFuel in it until its time to put the genny into service for a power event. He than advised use it w/ treated fuel for the duration, but then once the event is over transfer the normal gas out to a can, drain the carb and float, and replace w/ more TrueFuel. Run the genny for 15-20 minutes to make sure the TrueFuel is worked through everything, and than proceed w/ maintaining the genny as before.

I ran tru fuel but after needing 4 gallons a year I wasn’t going to pay 100.00 for gas in my yard equipment. I then started making my own E0 with 93 E10 by mixing 32oz of water to the gas then drain the water. I did this for a few years. Now just 93 E10 and what ever doesn’t get used in three months I’ll dump it in the vehicles.

I never knew about TruFuel or the other like alternatives until recently. I’m happy I discovered it. For seldom used OPE, like my generator, its a great solution. Yes, the price/gallon is crazy - but if I’m only using a few gallons a year for maintenance runs of my equipment I’m ok with it. So long as my equipment is ready when I need it and not gummed up, I consider it insurance. Like my local OPE dealer advised, I’ll only gas up w/ pump fuel when I know I’m going to be running the equipment - otherwise I’ll keep the tank filled w/ a couple gallons of Tru Fuel and not sweat my gas degrading.

I recommend ethanol free gasoline. Even walmart here sells it. Search for an ethanol free gas station near you.

I recommend any fuel stabilizer added to the fuel. I honestly keep several different kinds. Each of my 5 gallon jugs has a double dose(arthriticcarpeltunnel blurry visionmeasurement), and the 50 gallons of shed stored fuel is usually dumped in the car after 2 years if I don't use it for the lawnmower, tractor, generator, weedwacker....

Never had an issue with carb's engines or fuel related. And, don't need to overpay for premade canned fuel.

I prefer Stabil Marine, but have a few of my 10 jugs of gas filled with starbrite, seafoam, mercury, neutra, amsoil, lucas, VP etc, briggs/poulan/honda... whatever is available at walmart, small engine/marine dealer, oreilly/advance/pepboys/autozone/carquest/napa or during an online order.

To make sure it mixes well, I usually bring the bottle of fuel stabilizer to the gas station, add it to the container and then fill 'er up. If you have more than 1 container, grab a sharpie and some masking tape and mark the refill date.

All my cars that don't use about a tank of fuel every couple weeks, will usually get a normal light dose too. This means, the car that I put on the lawn 18 months ago because of a failed wheel bearing, recently started perfectly and I drove it around a little(just ordered the bearing). And, the barely driven pickup/SUV/convertible, maybe a tank every 2-4 months, gets a dose at every fill up.

Back