Fresh E10 gas or unknown quality E0 gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For small engines and other OPE, would it be better to get gas from a known station that refills their tank every week and add a fuel stabilizer.......or get E0 gas from a station where I'm not sure how long that gas has been sitting there? For my small engines, I always keep the gas tank full and if I could, run the carburetor dry (not all my OPE have a fuel shutoff valve).

Reason I ask is when I went to fill up my 5 gallon gas can with E0 gas today, I noticed I didn't smell any gasoline vapors. In fact, I had to put my nose almost right above the gas to smell it. The smell was ok....didn't smell like it was bad....just odd since I normally would smell the vapors when filling up. It makes me wonder if the gas is starting to go bad.

I used an ethanol test kit to verify it was ethanol free, but other than that, there's no way for me to tell if the gas is going bad. I was planning on storing this gas for roughly 6 months and this was meant for my generator for any upcoming power outages this winter.

I try and cycle out my generator gas into cars etc on a monthly basis to try and keep it fresh. What is in the units gets treated E0.

May be a coincidence, but I haven't had issues with stale gas in my small engines since I started buying premium for them.
I read somewhere that stale gas has low octane, so I decided to start off with the highest octane and have more to lose before it became useless.
Since my FXT requires premium now, it's no problem at all to just fill up my can with the same stuff.

Fresh, clean, water-free fuel is preferred under all circumstances. There is no reasonable argument that shows alcohol in gasoline is worse than aged fuel ... after all there are many, and that includes those who do know their stuff, who don't regard alcohol as a problem at all. I don't know anyone who thinks the same with regard to water, bacterial growth, or hard contaminants ("dirt").

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
I had to put my nose almost right above the gas to smell it. The smell was ok....didn't smell like it was bad....

Please stop sniffing the gasoline...

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Fresh, clean, water-free fuel is preferred under all circumstances. There is no reasonable argument that shows alcohol in gasoline is worse than aged fuel ... after all there are many, and that includes those who do know their stuff, who don't regard alcohol as a problem at all. I don't know anyone who thinks the same with regard to water, bacterial growth, or hard contaminants ("dirt").

This is really refreshing to find like ONE other person on this website that doesn't think the alcohol is the root of all their troubles in most everything in life ...( In the FUEL, that is !! )

It gets demonized for so many other issues that don't really have a root cause of ( alcohol ) in the fuel. So much misinformation out there .... it's worse than our big media !!

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: "BurrWinder"
This is really refreshing to find like ONE other person on this website that doesn't think the alcohol is the root of all their troubles in most everything in life ...( In the FUEL, that is !! )

It gets demonized for so many other issues that don't really have a root cause of ( alcohol ) in the fuel. So much misinformation out there .... it's worse than our big media !!

BurrWinder

Much as everybody else beats this stuff. When it (eventually) shows up in our premium-grade fuels here in Australia, I would like to try it and see what effect it has, particularly on performance and seemingly every-other-car's loud pinging.

I wonder if E10 (among other grades) gets a bad rap in a way similar to synthetic oils... Obviously the chemical formulation is different, so it may exaggerate a problem already present.

Well, when it comes to OPE use, I always use a Mr. Funnel when I fill with fuel that has been stored for any length of time. It will filter out any contaminates and water, especially any ethanol that has gotten water contamination while letting uncontaminated ethanol thru. I typically get my gasoline for OPE use by filling a 30 gallon drum and keeping stored. I go thru a lot for my OPE use. But I also use a little common sense and filter the stuff. I usually get E0 regular for my OPE use, but will sometimes get E10. Either way, fuel gets filtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back