Is there value in a good vacuum

We have a dirt devil bought from Walmart it was about $90 it's awful 6 months of ownership it randomly shuts off after a couple minutes of use it doesn't suck very well and the the handle is also the nozzle that unhooks and slides out and it broke. It's very cheapy made. Before this vacuum we had another vacuum all under $100 all last about a year usually give or take and they go to crap. Would I get better results from a shark or a dyson? Is there a good brand that I am may e unaware of? Or is it just money down the drain?
This makes me laugh. What do you expect from a $90 vacuum? You get what you pay for. I am using a Kirby which was purchased by my Grandmother in the late 50's. It still works very well. She paid an awful amount of money for it but it has lasted a lifetime and Kirby will rebuild it to like new condition for around $30 if you have the sales receipt, which I do.. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I am so far very happy with the Hoover Windtunnel Air Steer I got a few years ago. It was cyclone based (no bag), it has a very easy to use steering head, and I have only replaced the filters once (it made a huge difference, despite they say it is not something you regularly replace). It costed me $190 back then when on sale. It is worth the money.

I have a Dyson Ball, and think they're overrated.

The suction is good, but it fails at the fundamentals -- the basic structure is weak, allowing the spine to bend, which results in the canister unlatching itself if enough force is transmitted in the normal course of vacuuming. Pick it up by the canister's handle and it's fine. Pick it up by the top handle, and flexes, and pops loose. Without the wand/hose locked into place, it's like a wet noodle. In some ways, it's also.less convenient to use, compared to my old trusty Sharp.

According to my local vacuum shop repairman, those issues are common as they age, and the plastics weaken.

I do give credit to their service center. After the clutch on the agitator failed, causing half of it to stop spinning, they replaced the entire head, no questions asked. Phone support only wanted to charge for a new one.

They suck, but undesirably in some respects.

Mom bought is a Riccar for a house warming/ wedding gift. US made and it’s serviceable with a local dealer.

She’s had hers for about 20 years. No issues at all. Just wear items.

I know this is out of the picture for most people but nothing beats a rainbow vacuum. They are extremely overpriced but they do a fantastic job.

We have a Shark Wand. I love that thing. It's powerful, easy to place and maneuver, and a breeze to empty. Get a quality vacuum, it pays off. BTW, we also have Dirt Devil-like Bissell for quick kitchen tile cleanups. It works well for that function.

We have a shark... at about a year old I had to deep clean the whole thing. Some diet had caked up in one of the hoses and the filters I forget about were plugged up. Works like new again now.

I too have a Bissel that was bought at Walmart for around $60. It picks up better than my Shark vacuum and has held up well .
When I had 3 places … had three of these … get a few years from them … get another
Still prefer an actual bag … some don’t …

Just looking for a new shop vac at Walmart … all that section changed … got a Hart … works great …

When I had 3 places … had three of these … get a few years from them … get another
Still prefer an actual bag … some don’t …

Just looking for a new shop vac at Walmart … all that section changed … got a Hart … works great …
I was in a bind when my old Shop Vac gave up the ghost in the middle of project. Not many places to get a vacuum up where we live without driving for hours. Walmart was the only option. I too looked at the Hart and bought the 8 gallon stainless model. What a difference in the power level. To date it's the only Hart product I've purchased but I've been extremely impressed by its performance so far.

Reactions: 4WD
I don't have carpet. Never will.

But all the videos I see online is that the Sharks are the best and they clean up huge amounts of hair and dirt a Dyson leaves behind.

Tried 2 Dyson's and settled on Shark. Shark felt and worked as if the quality was a higher level. results were at a higher level as well. We have mostly hardwood floors (wood and time) but have area rugs and the basement is a commercial low shag carpet. Two carpeted stairwells as well. Picked up a second one to split between 3 floors this holiday season. Shark had a $100 off promotion.

With 2 dogs I find them to work great and no bag and washable filters lower the initial cost year after year.

I would read Consumer Reports. Different needs from thick pile carpet or rugs to commercial style carpet to bare floors. Also attachments via an easy to use hose.

A guy at a vacuum repair shop said Hoover vacuums come in the least of Hoover/Bissell/Eureka.

I am not a fan of bagless. They seem to all have a few filters to clean. And one is typically one you need to rinse out the dirt from in the sink and then let it dry before using the vacuum again.

I used to have a Kenmore which was redabdged Panasonic and excellent for 15 years. Next I got a Meile (Made in Germany ) and for 10 years faultless.

A bargain vacuum used if you vacumm (not wife unless rugged) is a Kirby. They are way overbuilt and incredibly heavy.

We have a Dyson that we bought back in 2006. I have replaced a few parts. I just replaced the hose a few months ago. I love being to go online and order a part. It shows up in the mail a few days later. Still works like new and we use it daily with a few animals in the house

My bag less Dirt Devil with on board tools is an awesome machine. No bag but a cartridge filter.
Screaming loud but tolerable.
Paid $5 for it mint shape from Goodwill.
My Orek upright is a better handling machine. Lighter, quieter and a usefully long length cord.
Paid $5 for it with a 10 year supply of bags from Habitat store.

We have a Miele for maybe 14-15 years, for the rooms with hard surfaces, and Ive had a Panasonic for over 20 years for carpeted surfaces.

Both are great, and while Miele is German made and fairly expensive, I dont recall the Panasonic to me.

For light vacuuming tasks, I love my Makita unit that gets daily use for years. I have the older version, and this brushless version should be even better:

Yes A good one is worth the money.

They all have pretty good suction but what separates the men from the boys is filtering.

Go online and look at what they leak when testing with a laser particle counter.

Miele typically wins. Im on my second Miele in 25 years, but to be fair I used the first one as a shop vac as well as house vac.

Dysons leak like sieves as do most.

Find a real, honest independently owned vacuum store and see what they sell. Also, ask them if they are able to get parts for it, and service it.

If they sell it AND service it... there's your answer. It's probably worth it.

The local shop here sells Oreck, Miele, Riccar, Sanitaire, and Royal. In addition to all those, they are able to work on Hoover, Kirby, Electrolux, Eureka.

My chore as a boy was vacuuming...and I always thought the machines my parents bought were rubbish. Personally I have been through a few now, including some "big names". I live in a large muti-story home, and it is my pleasure to continue the vacuuming responsibilities for my bride. That being said, I have NEVER...and I mean NEVER used a better vacuum than this one. It is built like a brick 5h1t house, and actually makes the carpet look new again. Yup, it has a bag - but man does it do a good job.

I just purchased two Sanitaire Vacuums, one for upstairs and one for the down stairs. They are commercial duty janitorial models and I can tell you based on the amount of stuff collected it does a much better job of pulling stuff out of the carpet than a 100.00 unit. The first two weeks I had to replace the bags because of what the previous WM Hoover left behind. Long, heavy duty cords, easily serviceable belts, bags, beater bars, impellars etc... 212.99 each. IMO, its worth it because they will be the last vacuum I will ever have to buy.

BTW, this is a regular carpet vacuum

Back