Is there value in a good vacuum

We have a dirt devil bought from Walmart it was about $90 it's awful 6 months of ownership it randomly shuts off after a couple minutes of use it doesn't suck very well and the the handle is also the nozzle that unhooks and slides out and it broke. It's very cheapy made. Before this vacuum we had another vacuum all under $100 all last about a year usually give or take and they go to crap. Would I get better results from a shark or a dyson? Is there a good brand that I am may e unaware of? Or is it just money down the drain?

We have a dirt devil bought from Walmart it was about $90 it's awful 6 months of ownership it randomly shuts off after a couple minutes of use it doesn't suck very well and the the handle is also the nozzle that unhooks and slides out and it broke. It's very cheapy made. Before this vacuum we had another vacuum all under $100 all last about a year usually give or take and they go to crap. Would I get better results from a shark or a dyson? Is there a good brand that I am may e unaware of? Or is it just money down the drain?
I just finished getting 8 years out of the $50ish Bissell from Walmart.. Replaced it with a $100ish Bissell from Amazon. They do everything I want a vacuum to do. This is one of those subjects though were everyone is going to have different experiences. Some folks vacuum every day and others every couple months. haha

Reactions: JC1
I too have a Bissel that was bought at Walmart for around $60. It picks up better than my Shark vacuum and has held up well .

I have an old basic Hover upright that takes a bag and only has height adjustment for carpet or bare floors. Its been going strong for 11 years and cost $90 then, I have no idea how much it would cost today.

I got a new Bissell Pet-something when I got new carpet. It's light years ahead of the cheapo Dirt Devil that came before it. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Also use a Shark Rocket for hard floors, with a powered vacuum head for smaller vacuuming jobs. I love that thing.

I paid top-dollar ($260) for our Panasonic bagless in 2015 and a moderate amount for our Dyson V6 handheld in 2018 (can't recall price). Both are worth every penny paid. Washable filters keep the costs down a bit.

My grandmother used the same Kirby for maybe 50 years? I bought one used when I moved into my first apartment after high school and I still use it. Your arm gets a bit of a workout but it picks up the dirt really well. I put a new belt in it every couple of years and a new roller brush at one point, but my kids could probably use it long after I'm gone.

Reactions: wtd
It’s going to depend on what it has to suck ..... :-O

A lot has to do with the floor, whether it is carpet or hardwood. Or how thick the pile of the carpet is. Some vacs do some floors better than others.....

I have a mix in my home of both carpet (light pile) and hardwood. I have a Walmart Bissell, and it does okay. When it finally dies (it seems to refuse to do so) it’s replacement will be a Shark upright. Bang for buck- I feel they do the best job.

And yes, most of the time the pricier vacs are worth the dough......

Yes, I have a MieleTitan canister vacuum. Worth the money. has motor prefilter, and HEPA filter exhaust. Got some free accessories upfront, and watch out if you loose a accessory piece. they can be pricey, like 90 bucks for a replacement floor attachment.(all from Germany)

Thick carpet - upright
thin pile carpet and bare floor= cannister.

However the vacuum is a whole house system built in.

A "good" vacuum is like a good anything else we talk about here (tools, oil, etc). Sometimes there's something inexpensive that'll work fine, but perhaps not last as long or be as nice to use, maybe you can't repair it. I've had an Electrolux canister vacuum for 20 years, replaced some parts here and there but it still works great. My MIL for some reason got us a bagless Shark upright, it's OK. The suction is quite good but the head is narrow, the hose isn't flexible at all so if you detach the wand and try to use it you will inevitably pull the body down and crash it into something, and I do not like the bagless style at all. That's a maybe $150-$200 vacuum which I consider cheap. If/when the Electrolux kicks the bucket I will probably buy something "expensive" like a Miele or Sebo or similar. Something you'd get at a vacuum store rather than Walmart etc.

jeff

In the '80's and '90's Dirt Devil made great vacuums at a great price. They had troubles in the '00's and I don't buy them anymore, for reasons similar to your experience.
Brands? All depends on what your needs are.

My grandmother used the same Kirby for maybe 50 years? I bought one used when I moved into my first apartment after high school and I still use it. Your arm gets a bit of a workout but it picks up the dirt really well. I put a new belt in it every couple of years and a new roller brush at one point, but my kids could probably use it long after I'm gone.
My old Kirby is still going strong after almost 30 years. One new roller brush a few broken belts and a new power cord several years ago is all it has required. Still works great.

I don't have carpet. Never will.

But all the videos I see online is that the Sharks are the best and they clean up huge amounts of hair and dirt a Dyson leaves behind.

Back