is there such a device? TV related

Status
Not open for further replies.
that allows you to split several coax sources (i.e. cable, antenna) into a box and from that box a composite cable to the TV? I have a dish receiver split into the master bedroom to a wall mounted TV. Since there is no box (Dish splits 2 from 1 box)I have coax providing the signal to the TV. Since the TV accepts OTA HD. I would like to run an antenna off the coax to get access to those channels. See my dilemma?

Just so I understand your post correctly, you want to run a coax from the satellite box and a coax from an antenna, and plug them both into a "box." And then run a composite cable from the "box" to the tv. So you have the option of switching between satellite and antenna using a single composite jack on the tv. Correct?

If I'm correct in my last post, then all I can say is do not recommend that setup. You will not get an HD picture from the antenna. Using a composite video connection automatically downgrades the picture to standard definition. You cannot get HD with composite period. I would run a composite cable from the satellite box to the TV (which would be an upgrade over the coax you're using now) and plug the antenna's coax directly into the TV. Done.

I'd find a long HDMI cable for the dish feed and leave the RF open for an antenna.

I wish HDTVs had a couple RF ins, and could remember that channel X likes the north-facing directional, and channel Y prefers the east-facing.

Just run a rotator on the antenna, quik way to get all OTA HD channels
cheers3.gif

I dont think dish network sattelite boxes have a HD OTA decoder in them. You can run a line from your DN sat box to another tv and get the same pic on both tv's. You can split even HD ota signals but each set needs a seperate box to change channels independantly. I think you are trying to get away with both things through one box and distribute them between either type which is not doable. If im picking up what you are putting down. Im pretty good with my tv action. I am currently Picking up some good stuff with my four dish setup. I even have pvr capabilities with all of it. I also got the nice plasma with blue ray and net flix and can view anything on the big tv or the smaller lcd in the wifes sewing room. It is a big pain when one thing is different than the next in terms of connectivity but there is never a grey area, you will either get picture or not.

We have one Dish DVR box that has two remotes. They can show different programming in different rooms, in this case the master bedroom and the living room. The second signal, the master bedroom, or CH.2 if you will is split 5 ways and mirrors whatever the master bedroom is showing. It can only be coax due to the way I have it setup. I'd rather go back to cable myself, but that is neither here nor there. I want the free OTA HD like I do in the living room, which is RCA's from the Dish receiver and an antenna to the RF on the TV itself. Should I just split the coax going to the wall mount tv in the BR with one coax from the dish feed and one from an antenna then? I'd hate to do that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back