Is there really such a thing called "Russian Soup"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I grew up in Hong Kong, the small cafes that served "Western Meal" have the following entries:

1. Fried Chicken legs
2. Pan-fried / Deep fried & breaded Pork Chops with Onion
3. Steaks with black pepper sauce

Usually one of the above over rice/spaghetti with gravy (no pasta sauce).

with one of the following

4. Russian soup
5. Cream of something soup
6. Chinese style soup

and one of the following

6. Soda
7. Milk Tea (English style, but different forumla in each cafe)
8. Coffee

The thing that I remember the most is the Russian soup. It is a soup of tomato, carrot, cabbage, onion, and a touch of spice (chili pepper?) and some trace of beef (small pieces, as rare as trace elements). Is it really something people eat in Russia or did someone just call it that and the name got stuck?

I have eaten this soup in China and Hong Kong. It is indeed served at "western restaurants". It's not like borscht, but it actually isn't bad. It's like a hearty cabbage soup. The steaks suck though.

quote:

The steaks suck though.

lol.gif
Yes, the steaks suck. And the funny thing is people don't realize it until they try the "real thing" in America.
patriot.gif

My dad refused to eat anything western back then, but when he got here, he is hooked and will find all kinds of excuse to "celerbrate" in a steak house.

quote:

Made for trade, the modern city of Shanghai came into being in the second half of the 19th century as a commercial link with the West. British, French, German and American traders settled there, eventually followed by White Russian refugees. They built a metropolis with Asia's first telephones, running water and electric power, a city of drugs, warlords, brothels and legendary riches. And like all expatriates everywhere, they brought their tastes in food with them. To this day, the Shanghainese have an appetite for croissants and French pastry and for Russian borscht (luo song tang, or Russian soup, on menus) although many may well not know their precise origins.

Found it, it is borscht (but may be very Chinese-ized).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back