Hunter's stew

Nothing like a hot stew on a cold day. Not that the mid-50s is especially cold but there's this wet and chilly fog that keeps lingering for a few hours before the sun burns it off. You can put anything in a hunter's stew. Game meat is especially good. Got some deer or boar? Rabbit, elk? Put it in there. Chop onions and fry with butter until caramelized. Add sliced mushrooms, or whole ones if small, leeks, carrots, golden potatoes, celery, beets, parsnip, ripe tomatoes, and chili peppers. Simmer in a strong broth fortified with red wine and good vinegar. Spices go in a spice ball. Things like peppercorns, bay leaves, juniper berries, mustard seeds, allspice. Lots of sweet paprika. Add sour cream and chopped parsley. Thicken with either a brown roux or crumble a few spiced speculoos cookies and stir them. You can find those at Trader Joe's.

The meat and and most of the veggies simmering in broth

Spice ball can be seen, tomatoes have been added

Sour cream has been added. The thcikener still needs to be added.

That's my quick and easy thickener, finely crumbled and stirred in until smooth

Parsley added and served

that is mouthwatering great looking stew! for soup & stew thickener i use plain instant oatmeal. for spices try some curry powder or mixed italian seasoning. for sweetening add some raisins or a chopped up apple. for meat add chopped up kielbasa.

Last edited:
There's also grated turmeric root in there, hence the yellow hue. If game meat is used, cranberries go in the pot also.

I’ve heard of hunters stew but would never eat it. I don’t eat soup or stew unless it’s wonton soup or chicken noodle or clam chowder or potato those are the only soups I’ll eat. Too much stuff in that one lol.

I’ve heard of hunters stew but would never eat it. I don’t eat soup or stew unless it’s wonton soup or chicken noodle or clam chowder or potato those are the only soups I’ll eat. Too much stuff in that one lol.
Well, you have discovered the culinary delight that the McRib represents so you don't need a stew. And you certainly know what you're getting with that one! :LOL:

Back