That might make you gag...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sauerbraten. A fear-inducing compound word and dish in the English-speaking world. Fear not, my sauerbraten is different than the slop you may have encountered locally. Sauerbraten is supposed to be mildy sweet and sour, not sour.

The meat, a big, ideally organic, pork rump (cheeky!) or beef (make sure it's not mad beef!) butt or shoulder piece , is quickly browned in a hot fying pan in some butter and sugar, just to get some caramelization going. Then the meat goes in a pot and the marinade is added. The marinade consists of stock and a variety of ingredients: vinegar, red wine, carots, clery root, onion, parsely, peppercorn, cloves, juniper berries, thyme, marjoram, pepper. You can throw a piece of fresh pineapple in there to accelerate the marinating and tenderizing process.

After a few days, the meat is cooked in the marinade for a couple hours until the meat is very soft and almost coming apart. The meat is removed at this point, and the marinade is finished as a sauce: pour the marinade through a sieve, add water and more red wine and vinegar (to taste). Add spices, stock, and finally some sour cream. The sauce is thickened with a "sauce cake," which is a very simple gingerbread made specifically for this dish. I got pictures -- but you knew that.
wink.gif

Cut up the meat and serve with sauce and rice, mashed, baked or boiled potatoes. Lingonberries should be served on the side, cranberries work too, but are comparatively bland and not authentic. As you can see in my picture, I had neither berries.
frown.gif

sauerbraten_s1417.jpg

Those of you who think photographed food looks gross are right. Food photographers use all sorts of tricks when making food look appetizing, from using glycerine for gloss to adding food dyes for more appetizing colors. I use only the real food in all its brown nastiness. Trust me, my stuff tastes better than it looks.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I'll be at your house at 7:00.

I love sauerbraten (done correctly). There was a great place in the valley called the Matterhorn Chef that made great sauerbraten. They served it with spatzle though. I was sad that they closed down last year.

mmmmm...brown gravy
sabber.gif

What a horrid pattern upon that plate.

And, those "r's"

Chokes me up.

What has society come to?

parsely?

The chow looks perfectly good. I am one sick pooch who actually likes good German food.

One thing I learned - I didn't know you could make Sauerbraten from pork. Not sure why I thought it should be beef only. I'm hungry!

Laminar Lou, Spätzle are Swabian -- I'm not a fan of anything Swabian. It's personal.
wink.gif

obbop, I was thinking I should probably arrange all those horrid bits in the shape of an unhappy face.
tongue.gif

Pablo, yeah, parsely. Don't you know I can't spell after cooking with red wine? When I began cooking I had a full 1.5 liter bottle merlot. Now I'm all out.

Moribundman,

Thank you very much for brining sweet memories back, one of my favorite dish apart from bludwurst and steak tartare, used to pick it up every week from the local buthcer in Staten Island, Karl Ehmer where Hans would dutifully keep it for me along with head cheese and bludwurst. After coming back to India, all I can do is dream about all this.

Gurkha, you are braver than I am.
cheers.gif

I never have and never would eat Blutwurst (blood sausage), headcheese, or any raw meet like steak Tartare. *faints*

What can I say, probably was a German in my past life or a vampire, take your pick, my body craves for blood and raw meat, the taste lingers in my mouth till today.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back