Is there REALLY a way to prevent sludge in a 2.7L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a local dealer must love Dodge Intrepid's, because they have lots of them. Currently a 2000 with the 2.7 for $3,xxx. Is there really a way to prevent sludge do you guys think in the 2.7L? I heard if you use a good cleaning oil (Platinum or Untra, etc.) and change it every 3K it might work, but IDK. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
So a local dealer must love Dodge Intrepid's, because they have lots of them. Currently a 2000 with the 2.7 for $3,xxx. Is there really a way to prevent sludge do you guys think in the 2.7L? I heard if you use a good cleaning oil (Platinum or Untra, etc.) and change it every 3K it might work, but IDK. Thanks guys!

Thats about the extent of it, yea. Change PCV valve too.

Its an average car and they probably cant sell it to rental lots, so im not sure if your local dealer "loves" them...

I would think that if you change it frequently and maybe trade a quart for some MMO, it wouldn't have little chance to sludge.. considereing it isn't sludged already,.

Run PP and a good filter, and change the PCV, change oil often. That's all I can really suggest. I see a lot of them around here, puking blue smoke.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Run PP and a good filter, and change the PCV, change oil often. That's all I can really suggest. I see a lot of them around here, puking blue smoke.

Funny, I have never seen one with smoke
confused.gif

The 2.7 was not a only sludge monster it also had the water pump located that when it failed it dumped all the coolant in the oil.
So there are two unacceptable issues with this junk engine. I had one for two years. The Intrepids with the 3.5 engine are far superior.
On mine I cleaned the PCV hoses a couple of times a year. And ran synthetic for 3000 mile oil changes. I changed the coolant and kept a close eye on the water pump weep hole. I was glad to get rid of it. For a while I looked fro a nice 3.5 Intrepid but could not find one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: tig1
Use M1 5-30HM and change oil every 6k.

+1

Nope too long for the sludge monster 2.7.

I know my '04 2.7L has had a few updates from 2000, but running Synblend/Conventional at 3K intervals has left me with a nearly spotless motor with no issues at 127,000 mi. Keeping the oil changed and the coolant fresh has been successful for me.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: tig1
Use M1 5-30HM and change oil every 6k.

+1

Nope too long for the sludge monster 2.7.

5k?

And the poster above me says the good, old fashioned Conventional and 3k rule works good for that car! Maybe it should be adopted as the "known sludger" rule. (3k/conventional ST)
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: beast3300
A great way to prevent sludge in a Chrysler 2.7 is not to own one.

I pretty much agree.

The 3.3 has it all over that engine.Why they stopped using it in the LH cars is a mystery.

Look for a 02 or newer if you have to go with the 2.7L. They had a few updates, such as the waterpump and gasket, along with the Tchain with a different amount of links, updated oil pump with more capacity....

I got rid of my 01 Concorde because the PO drove it miles with coolant in the engine, and dumped gallons of coolent in to the oil.. That inturn made the T chain tensioner fail, and lose timing.. I was going to fix it, but to do it was MORE then the car was worth... I called 6 shops, and 5 of them told me to junk it.. They dont want to turn down bussiness, but the engine are ALOT of money, 1500+ for a used one, up to 3K for a newer one with the updates... then the $110 an hr.. The Timing chain, and WP kit alone was over $1000... And that is just the parts, to install it in a engine that was mixing coolant is not a great idea.. i cant take the gamble..

So if you can pass DO SO, or look for the 3.2L or 3.5L..

I'm not familiar with the 2.7 other than their reputation but I'd think about any engine could be kept fairly free of sludge with a 3-3.5K mi OCI...

Treat it with Kreen or MMO, once or twice a year depending on how many miles you log.

my 01 had 32000 mile when i got it, just got rid of it 2 months ago with 183000 miles, did 3000 mile oil changes with service pro synblend never had first problem

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
Why is this engine so prone to sludging? And what other famous sludge-monster motors are there?

Audi 1.8T from S4 of year 1999 and 2000 (Id imagine the 3k to 5k OCI advice is the same, perhaps 4k at the most)

That and the 2.7 are the first two that "jump out" at me.
I tend to agree with the "be conservative on the OCI" advice, though if you had to go on a long trip id say use a synthetic of appropriate grade before you do and change it when you get back! (Coast to coast would be about 6k miles on an OCI, maybe 7k or more)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back