Is there no more Chevron Super Syn 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using Mobil 1 0W-40 in my '96 2.8 12v Audi engine. At 124k miles the engine seems to be running fine with this oil, but I want to explore some other options.

One oil I'm interested in is Chevron Supreme Super Syn 5W-40, which falls in the viscosity range that Audi suggest when using an energy conserving synthetic. However, I just went to the Chevron site and 5W-40 isn't listed anymore.
shocked.gif

However, I see Chevron Supreme Synthetic 15W-50, which meets API SJ and ACEA A3 and B3.

Here are my questions:

1. Is Chevron Super Syn 5W-40 gone?

2. Is Chevron Super Syn 15W-50 labeled as "energy conserving"?

3. Has anybody used Mobil 1 0W-40 and either of those two Chevron oils in the Audi 2.8 12v engine, and if so, any thoughts on it?

4. How does Mobil 1 15W-50 compare to Chevron 15W-50?

I know that's a full plate, sorry...
wink.gif

Whoops, I should have said "Chevron Supreme Syn"!

Super, Supreme, Ultra-Duper, whatever...
grin.gif

Is there an "edit" function?
dunno.gif

In my years as a Chevron Distribuitor there has never been a Supreme Super Syn........ The Current Synthetics are:
Supreme 100% Synthetic 5w30, 10w30, and 5w40 (SL/CF)with official approval of BMW, M-B, Porsche, & VW. (aimed at the Gasoline engine market)- the 15w50 was discontinued about a year ago. (murphy's law applies, it was what I sold the most of)
Delo 400 Synthetic 0w30(SJ/CG-4)and 5w40 (SJ/CI-4) (aimed at the Diesel engine market)

They normally keep Delo and Supreme separate, although there are Delo products that are also SL for gasoline. DELO means Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil.

[ June 05, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: widman ]

quote:

Originally posted by GregH:
DOes anyone know if the Synthetic Delo 400 is PAO's or Group lll. Just curious.
Greg H

Greg, the answer to your question is an unqualified, "YES"!
grin.gif
The material safety data sheet for Delo 400 Synthetic lists:

CAS68037014: 1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER, HDROGENATED
SYNTHETIC HYDROCARBON BASE OIL

and

CAS151006609: 1-DECENE/1-DODECENE, CO-POLYMER, HYDROGENATED SYNTHETIC BASE OIL

(These are both Group-IV PAO lube base stocks.)

-OR-

ISOSYN BASE OILS

(These are Group-III severely hydrocracked isomerized lube base stocks.)

It's anyone's guess by why or by whom the decision is made to blend one batch with Group-IVs or Group-IIIs. I'd bet, though, that Chevron is transitioning to all Group-III lube base stocks for their synthetics as production of that group increases. The company's been one of the most ardent advocates of isomerized synthetic lube base stocks. Chevron was also touting Group-IIIs as legitimately entitled to the "synthetic" moniker before the arbitration decision in the Mobil vs. Castrol case.

[ June 05, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back