Is there a recommended oil for short tripping

Just use whatever viscosity your manufacturer recommends for your vehicle. Brand really doesn’t matter, as long as it’s API SP. Any affordable name brand oils will do the job great.

With short trips, you should follow the severe duty category maintenance intervals, which generally is a 3-4k mile oil change interval. It’s also a good idea to take the short trip car on longer trips every once in a while to get rid of moisture in the oil. This will extend the life of the oil, and also make the oil do its job more effectively.

My daughter does a lot of short tripping. Is there an oil that is best for that?

1. Avoid short trips. Walk instead whenever possible.
2. IF you NEED to do shorter trips, perform longer trips at least once a week.
3. No special oil required. Better to shorter OCIs, twice a year, 3000 or 4000 mls.

No. Simply drive her car on the highway for 20 minutes, once per week. This will get the engine up to optimum temp, boiling off the water and light ends from the gasoline built up in the oil from the short trips.

20 min won't be sufficient to evaporate water and fuel from a week of short tripping.
Sadly you'd need at least one or two hours to get rid of it.

There is absolutely nothing special about dexos, Gen 1, 2, or 3
D1G3 has limits for low temperature sludge that are almost twice as stringent as API SP, using the same test. It also requires a more modern sludge test from the Mercedes standards that uses a GDI engine, which API SP doesn't require.

Some oils without the certification would also pass these tests, but some wouldn't. An oil with the certification is a safer bet than one without it, if the goal is to prevent sludge and varnish caused by short tripping.

Does ~3500 mi / yr fall into this category? 2024 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD 1.5L I-4 turbo CVT. I have no clue if it is DI, FI, GI, PI or what. Plan on annual oil change based on miles driven. Is there a particular oil markedly better in that application?

Does ~3500 mi / yr fall into this category? 2024 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD 1.5L I-4 turbo CVT. I have no clue if it is DI, FI, GI, PI or what. Plan on annual oil change based on miles driven. Is there a particular oil markedly better in that application?

That's a direct injection engine.

As others here have stated, it depends on how you drive. 3500 miles/year, accumulated in 5 mile chunks, is harder on the engine than driving 75 miles once a week.

My car has the same engine, and I've been changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals, or roughly once per year. I'm starting to realize that this is not often enough, because I live 6 miles from work, and rarely go anywhere else other than local shopping. So I'm switching to every 6 months.

I've noticed that the engine feels more lively when cold with 0W-20, as compared to 5W-30. I figure the thin oil will flow better when cold too. On the other hand, this engine is know to accumulate fuel, so the thin oil will just become thinner yet. I'm conflicted.

Easy option, use something that meets the manufacturer guidelines on oil specification.
Harder option, do tons of research, then obsess and send oul samples for lab analysis. Compare results.
You can pretty much run whatever oil you wanna run that sold in Walmart unless you have one of those special high-end exotic cars, but the most of us on this form shop at Walmart for our oil. Anywhere in the United States in the summertime with any engine, you could get away with 15/40 not in the winter time. The store is flooded with oil and all kinds of marketing hype

My commute is now 4 miles across town to work and back. We do take my Acura on trip or errands on the weekend and that is more of a mix driving habit but I’d still say severe driving habits. What that said, the oil life monitor wanted me to change the oil at 7500 miles and I cut that in half.

That's a direct injection engine.

As others here have stated, it depends on how you drive. 3500 miles/year, accumulated in 5 mile chunks, is harder on the engine than driving 75 miles once a week.

My car has the same engine, and I've been changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals, or roughly once per year. I'm starting to realize that this is not often enough, because I live 6 miles from work, and rarely go anywhere else other than local shopping. So I'm switching to every 6 months.

I've noticed that the engine feels more lively when cold with 0W-20, as compared to 5W-30. I figure the thin oil will flow better when cold too. On the other hand, this engine is know to accumulate fuel, so the thin oil will just become thinner yet. I'm conflicted.
im in the same exact boat , with a 3.1 mile one way to work , 2024 equinox 1.5 ecotec

Not really a "best" short trip oil per se. Just get something solid and inexpensive and change it more often. Maybe for grins, do a UOA to see where her current oil is, and go from there.

Thank goodness my wife's commute has gone from 1.47 miles one way, no highway, to 11.26 one way, with about a 60% highway. We still use it for much longer trips (1 hour+) on the weekends so most water/fuel burns off. I don't plan to change current protocol of M1 ESP 5W-30, every 4500-5K. UOAs has been perfect with this so far.

If you know you are going to fill it with water from short tripping and a 3K OCI has been established then what I would do in this case is put in whatever the least expensive properly rated oil.

I dont think you'll find spending more has any ROI in this case at all.

Just use whatever viscosity your manufacturer recommends for your vehicle. Brand really doesn’t matter, as long as it’s API SP. Any affordable name brand oils will do the job great.

Think we already have established that what the "manufacturer" recommends and what is put in the U.S owners manuals (CAFE spec.) are two completely different things.

Think we already have established that what the "manufacturer" recommends and what is put in the U.S owners manuals (CAFE spec.) are two completely different things.

Very true. For the Honda 1.5T engine, the recommended oil is 0W-20 in the USA, and 5W-30 in some other places of the world. No doubt, the thinner oil is due to CAFE. That said, oil analysis reports typically show excellent results with the thin oil. Just goes to show that under normal conditions, many engines are not particular about what oil is used.

I see no evidence that engines cannot reach 300k miles or more when the recommended oil is used. There are hundred millions of vehicles in the US and Canada that have just used the manufactures recommended viscosity oil (5w20, 0w20, 5w30 and etc) for hundreds of thousands of miles, and they are all still going down the road with no issues.

I’m not saying the owner’s manual recommendations are the best, but at the same time we really haven’t seen oil viscosity related failures (given that the OCI was reasonable) from following the manufacturers oil viscosity recommendations.

Back