Is there a list of oil thickness relative to the weight of the oil?

Looking for information.

Some of the posts I have read here talk about a brand of oil being “thick for a 5W30”, or “Thin for a 5w30”
is there a list of oils that tend to be on the thick or thin side of the specs for their weight?
It might be helpful to have that as a reference. Thanks

Each grade has a range of viscosity.

Don't know of a list per say. You would have to look at each oil to see it's Viscosity @ 100C. 5W30 is rated 9.3 Is this what you were wanting?

Don't know of a list per say. You would have to look at each oil to see it's Viscosity @ 100C. 5W30 is rated 9.3 Is this what you were wanting?
Yes that is helpful. So I can compare the viscosity @ 100C for the weight and that will tell me which side of the spec the particular oil is.
I will do some googling of specs on oils I have used or am thinkI got of using.

thanks for the info!

Each grade has a range of viscosity.

Thanks for that. I’m always learning something on this forum. 👍🏻

Looking for information.

Some of the posts I have read here talk about a brand of oil being “thick for a 5W30”, or “Thin for a 5w30”
is there a list of oils that tend to be on the thick or thin side of the specs for their weight?
It might be helpful to have that as a reference. Thanks
Typically the context is with regards to oils with and without certain euro certs. EURO oils are in part categorized by HTHS rather than weight. Oils which fall under ACEA A3/B4 or C3 (ex, Mercedes Benz 229.50/.51, BMW LL01/LL04, Porsche A40, etc) and are 30w weight will typically be closer to upper limit of the viscosity range for 30w because the HTHS requirement is 3.5 or higher. Of course the flip side of that is that the 40w oils with the same euro certs are usually towards the bottom of the viscosity range for 40w oils. Then of course for example there is ACEA A5//B5 and A7/B7 which represent a HTHS between 2.9 -3.5 and these will be towards the middle and bottom of the 30w viscosity range.

2021 ACEA Test Sequences

Last edited:
Typically the context is with regards to oils with and without certain euro certs. EURO oils are in part categorized by HTHS rather than weight. Oils which fall under ACEA A3/B4 or C3 (ex, Mercedes Benz 229.50/.51, BMW LL01/LL04, Porsche A40, etc) and are 30w weight will typically be closer to upper limit of the viscosity range for 30w because the HTHS requirement is 3.5 or higher. Of course the flip side of that is that the 40w oils with the same euro certs are usually towards the bottom of the viscosity range for 40w oils. Then of course for example there is ACEA A5//B5 and A7/B7 which specify a HTHS between 2.9 -3.5 and these will be towards the middle and bottom of the 30w viscosity range.

2021 ACEA Test Sequences
Which brings up the point that HT/HS is a much better indicative property of performance than viscosity.

Mobil 1 hm 5w-30 on the thick side.
Penzoil 5w-30 on the thin side. Seams like all others keep getting thiner with the newer specs

There was a thread here few weeks ago about a list of viscosities of 5w30 and 0w20 oils. Search a bit and you'll find it.

Which brings up the point that HT/HS is a much better indicative property of performance than viscosity.
Yep which lends weight to the concept of "shopping certs" rather than placing too much emphasis on weight outside of extreme operating environments like race/track, towing, etc).

ACEA A3/B4 or CK-4 (3.5+ HTHS) are going to be on the higher side.

Sticking with GF-6A 5W-30:

Quaker State Full Synthetic
11.6 @ 100C

Mobil 1 High Mileage
11.9 @ 100C

Mobil 1 EP HM
11.8 @ 100C

Last edited:
Yes that is helpful. So I can compare the viscosity @ 100C for the weight and that will tell me which side of the spec the particular oil is.
I will do some googling of specs on oils I have used or am thinkI got of using.

thanks for the info!
Yep ... doing that, you can build your own list of oils that fall on the light or heavy side of their viscosity rating.

Back