Is there a downside to DELO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that Chevron DELO is designed for use in diesel engines, and its additive package is optimized for that environment. Is there ANY downside to using it in a gasoline engine?

If one is burning enough oil for an HDEO to kill the cat, PCMO would kill it almost as quickly. I say no downside other than that its a little thick for winter use.

Gas mileage, but it like to mix it to thin it out some.

75% Delo SAE 30 and 25% 5w20 Havoline (Honda)

50/50 mix Delo & Havoline Syn (corvette)

"Any downside to using Delo?"

It comes in a blue jug???
dunno.gif

Just kidding!

Use it, just not in an ohc engine in the winter.

"75% Delo SAE 30 and 25% 5w20 Havoline (Honda)"

In all due respect LT4 what is your reasoning in duing this?

The reason I ask is that one of my 1st posts here was on using SAE mono grades in a daily driver. Molekule specifically advised me not to us SAE 30 and stay with the multigrade 5W30, 10W30 etc.

I'm sure if he could get Delo 10w-30 for $.25c a quart, he'd use that. SAE 30 is a good oil, just not for cold.

I am blending Delo also. I just ran a 50/50 of Delo 30 and Havoline 5-20. I blended to get better cold flow. I started the car many times when the temp was as low as 15. The car started normally, and the idiot light was out as fast as with 5-30. Mileage was UP slightly during a long highway trip. I ran the blend 3400 miles, with no makeup oil and have no worries about using it again. I changed it to a 50/50 blend of Chevron 5-30 and Delo. I will not hesitate to run it straight in the summer, after scoring 60 gallons at .99 per on closeout at AZ.

quote:

In all due respect LT4 what is your reasoning in doing this?

Hello Outrun,

The Honda has a Cam seal and oil pan gasket leak.....and I need to add 1 quart every 2000 miles. So in 4000 miles, 2 of the 3 quarts of Delo are gone. Gas mileage did NOT drop. I would not use 100% Delo SAE 30 in a Honda Civic.

Delo was on sale for 99 cents a gallon and I needed a low cost oil for the next year until I get my wife a new RSX or Civic.

For the Vette, I really dont worry about gas MPG, just a stout add pack.
smile.gif

[ March 01, 2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: LT4 Vette ]

I too am curious to the original poster's question... but there's not a lot of good info coming across. We all know that DELO has a very high additive package in terms of Calcium, ZDDP, and Phosphorous... but what about other additives? Does it use the same ISO-SYN base oil that's used in Chevron's standard dino lineup? Are there any other hidden additives that are included that could be damaging to an OHC, standard gasoline, fuel-injected vehicle?

Delo 15W40 is very thick oil. It is thicker at 40C than Delo 30W oil.

Delo 15W40
40C 125
100C 15.1
10C 790 (calculated)

Delo 30W
40C 105
100C 12.1
10C 727 (calculated)

So, unless you are operating at freezing temps, the Delo 30w will be thinner at every temperature. The 15W40 oil is out of the viscosity range for most cars. I don't think it is a good choice unless you thin it by blending.

I'd love to hear from our Castrol rep on his thoughts for using diesel oils in gasoline engines.

Without giving anything away regarding Castrol's products, I would think we'd be able to get some additional insight into the why's and why-not's of diesel oil additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back