Is there a decent can opener out there?

Seriously...I have spent between pennies to more than I care to admit on a can opener. I like to have one of each style - the pinch style that doesn't cut the top and the style that cuts the lid for easy draining. I finally found a pinch style that works, but I am yet to find a cut style that is decent and lives more than a year or two.

So...best can opener?

Last edited:
I use Oxo Good Grips, in their two styles of cutting (standard inside rim cut & smooth edge cut. Previously I used Swingaway but felt their quality in terms of sharpness went down.

I am used to Ikea can opener but the edges are harmful. Every cheapo can opener I have seen has the same issue. Got Oxo Smooth Edge a couple of months ago and its really good one. It takes time to get used to it but once you get used to it, no worries. No fear of getting cuts.

We really enjoy this one:

Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch

The Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but it looks like a few duds have slipped through in the past. Ours has given us no problems in nearly two years. We just hold the lid slightly askew for draining.

My Swing-A-Way is approaching its 3rd decade. Through the dishwasher every so often for that heat cycle sterilization. Can't think of anything better. Kinda like a good woman, she'll do just fine.

OMG...The Swing Away Oil Filter Cutter...WDWToTS? (Why Didn't We Think of That Sooner)
you mean cutting filters open with a can opener....that's they way i always did it...(purpose bought dollar store can opener, not ruining the kitchen one)
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTSSSS of cranking. LOTS.

Another vote for the Swingaway. We ruined our first one by too much washing (it rusted under the grips). The replacement has been doing fine for 20 or 30 years. There's no reason to buy anything else.

Just use your oil filter cut open tool

Many don't open too many cans. How many cans do you open a year? A lifetime for one user might be a few weeks for a canned product junkie.

Go pro:

We all need an 'Unconquerable' can opener.

Have you tried a Kaufgut, Nogent, Westmark, KuhnRikon.... those Europeansmake good can openers/blades/stuff and overly complex cars

Jim-Harbaugh-Michigan-coach-does-can-opener-dive-into-pool-while-wearing-khakis.jpg

We really enjoy this one:

Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch

The Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but it looks like a few duds have slipped through in the past. Ours has given us no problems in nearly two years. We just hold the lid slightly askew for draining.

Same one I have. Works great. Also, always have a manual for those just in case times.

We were going through grocery store can openers about once a year until I ordered a Swingaway off ebay. Works well and going strong after several years.

Back