UHT milk - almost 1 year post best-by date

Living in earthquake, fire, mudslide, and potential zombie outbreak territory, I am generally well prepared. Besides the wall, a goldfish-filled moat, and Cuddles frolicking on a zipline I am also well-stocked with emergency supplies. Rice, beans, jerky, canned food, nuts, powdered egg, powdered milk, and UHT milk. A few hours ago, I inventoried my supplies and I found 4 quarts of aged UHT milk cartons. I was curious and opened one of them. More than 11 months past its best-by date the milk is still okay. The product was stored at 63 degrees F and 50% humidity. The tera pscks look unremarkable without bloating. I'm going to keep the other three quarts and I will open one every six months.

We keep some non refrigerated milk on hand if we run out whatever is in the fridge. Real fun pouring a bowl of cereal and finding out you don't have enough milk. The Dollar Tree sells 1 Qt boxes for $1.25. The date on it when bought is several months out.

A local dairy was involved in initial development and marketing of UHT pasteurized and tetra packed milk products. I understand that they ship huge amounts to the military, particularly when we had more presence in the Middle East.

When I first started buying their flavored milk in the 6 oz. cartons, they typically had about a 4 month expiration date. I have a case of their banana milk that I picked up mid February at their dairy store, and it has a Dec. '24 best by date, so about 10 months "advertised" shelf life.

I don't know if the increased shelf life is a result of improved processing methods, or more research and experience into actual shelf life. But it is impressive either way.

A local dairy was involved in initial development and marketing of UHT pasteurized and tetra packed milk products. I understand that they ship huge amounts to the military, particularly when we had more presence in the Middle East.

When I first started buying their flavored milk in the 6 oz. cartons, they typically had about a 4 month expiration date. I have a case of their banana milk that I picked up mid February at their dairy store, and it has a Dec. '24 best by date, so about 10 months "advertised" shelf life.

I don't know if the increased shelf life is a result of improved processing methods, or more research and experience into actual shelf life. But it is impressive either way.
Tetra Paks have been around for over 70 years. Surely the materials have improved and have resulted in the product remaining aseptic and providing a longer shelf life. A Tetra Pak is made from paperboard, an aluminum coating that serves as oxygen barrier, and a polymer coating that is in contact with the food. The paperboard used to be treated with polyperse wax but has been protected by layers of PE for a long time.

I think I know of the company. Their product is often sold in dollar stores.

32oz_2Percent.progressive.jpg

I don't like the taste though. The high temperatures caramelize the sugars and it has an off taste. However, the biggest manufacturer of aseptic packaged milk is the Italian company Parmalat.

I think I know of the company. Their product is often sold in dollar stores.

32oz_2Percent.progressive.jpg

I don't like the taste though. The high temperatures caramelize the sugars and it has an off taste. However, the biggest manufacturer of aseptic packaged milk is the Italian company Parmalat.
That's the one.

I've never tried their regular milk, but instead have often bought the flavored milks. They are good. I have always suspected that the whole marketing of the flavored milk, is to mask any off flavor from the UHT processing. Of course they sell a lot of it. Here in Utah at least, people like to have it on the shelf for emergency preparedness, as @vavavroom mentioned that he buys it for.

I have also used their whipping cream. I haven't tasted the whipping cream directly from the carton, but have used in making ice cream, I haven't tasted any difference in the ice cream.

Last edited:
That's the one.

I've never tried their regular milk, but instead have often bought the flavored milks. They are good. I have always suspected that the whole marketing of the flavored milk, is to mask any off flavor from the UHT processing. Of course they sell a lot of it. Here in Utah at least, people like to have it on the shelf for emergency preparedness, as @vavavroom

I have also used their whipping cream. I haven't tasted the whipping cream directly from the carton, but have used in making ice cream, I haven't tasted any difference in the ice cream.

The process clearly changes the taste in a way I don't like. And it's common for all sorts of milk processors. I remember it tasted similar to Parmalat UHT milk. I've also seen half and half packs that were UHT treated, and those have a similar caramel taste.

Some refrigerated milk is UHT treated. Horizon has both aseptic packaging stored at room temp, but also regular cartons where there's typically a use-by date months into the future. Their cartons only say "ultra-pasteurized" though, which I understand still requires refrigeration.

horizon-organic-whole-milk.png

The process clearly changes the taste in a way I don't like. And it's common for all sorts of milk processors. I remember it tasted similar to Parmalat UHT milk. I've also seen half and half packs that were UHT treated, and those have a similar caramel taste.

Some refrigerated milk is UHT treated. Horizon has both aseptic packaging stored at room temp, but also regular cartons where there's typically a use-by date months into the future. Their cartons only say "ultra-pasteurized" though, which I understand still requires refrigeration.

horizon-organic-whole-milk.png
Organic milk is usually UHT but it's not labeled as UHT because consumer acceptance is low. Strauss Farms organic milk is an exception. It's never UHT. It's available in the Bay Area.

Back