Is there a cat food shortage?

funny you say that because I had to run to cvs due to running out before my trip to costco. I got the last bag and paid dearly for it. Unfortunately, the next day a racoon found my hiding place and ate almost all of it.

I keep my cats in. The few times my elderly 19 year old cat gets out she got attacked by a pack of coyotes (mom and pups). She w.as cowering in the grill. They pissed me off making a ruckus on my deck so stupidly went outside with a forest axe in underwear no less and went to town. The pups ran and mama stood her ground and took a good blow as my forest axe was bloody.
My old cat is 28! Born 1993. Very uncommon for one to live this long. He has not had teeth for about 10 years now

He still gets around great and can still put up a fight if another cat gets on his nerves.

HEB and Walmart did not have the kind our cats like. Petco turned into some weird organic only food store with few options. We got a couple cases of wet from Petsmart.

Chris142, perhaps the canned food has MSG and unable to ship to your country? Lol!

*I'm in New Mexico. I've had people tell me they dont ship out of country. It is the wild wild west here too!

And that fancy-schmancy canned food from Petco is $$$$$.
One trip to the vet due to poor quality pet food and you could buy "fancy pet food" for a year.
Cat food has "gone to the dogs" the past couple decades. Must be the GMO thing amoung other stuff.

Even the Merrick I settled on a couple years ago is now cost cutting their ingredients. Dang it!
First no real synthetic oil now garbage pet food.

Big business ruining life one chunk at a time.

Last edited:
We have found the flavor selection is limited with our finicky cats that happen to be "redomesticated" feral kittens of all things. Amazon noted they cat food makers were limiting productions due to aluminum can supply issues.

Yeah, the feral cats we redomesticated with varying success are very finicky with the food they'll eat. Much more than our housecats in the past, I'd have thought it would be the other way around.

My old cat is 28! Born 1993. Very uncommon for one to live this long. He has not had teeth for about 10 years now

He still gets around great and can still put up a fight if another cat gets on his nerves.
That is amazing, myself being a cat owner for over 60 years. We are on #13 if my counting is correct. We did have four at once one time, as "lost" or "???" cats would hang around in the very cold winter and we would take them in. Siamese or Burmese are this biggest characters and orange tabby seem the most well tempered. All boys no girls. - Ken

We had a cat with no teeth and declawed - he showed up like that. Unfortunately he was in rough shape and wasn't with us for very long. He killed more mice than any cat we've had since! No idea how he did it but he'd get one or two a week!

Some shortages around here, depending on brand and store.
Our cats will only eat Purina One or Purina Pro Plan, in only a few select flavors or textures.
I generally get the best price at Menards, so I tend to buy it there
Generally, I'm lucky if there are six cans on the shelf of any flavor/texture they will eat.
If there are twelve cans combined on the shelves of both those brands, it is a good day.
Last time I went in, they had 24 cans of PO Tuna. The cats are now good for 24 days.

I gave my cat Purina Pro Plan beef and carrot recipe and she was licking her bowl so hard that she was scooting it across the floor!!:D She loves it!!

No issues here with cat food - my Target is well stocked.

I did Chewy for quite awhile in the midst of covid and stuck with it for convenience. The $50 minimum to avoid shipping killed that for me once everything opened back up as it was hard for me to hit the $50 even with litter on my autoship, then I saw my usual litter and cat food are cheaper at Target and I get my 5% Redcard discount on top of that.

Was in TSC last weekend picking up some 4Health dry and seen the shelves were full of canned food for cats, they had the little cans plus some bigger cans like the size of soup cans. Also they carry the Greenies treats, my cats love the catnip flavor.

The stray we took in last year - Mariner's Catch is pretty much the only thing she'll eat. It's been a big pain to buy for 3-4 months.

Back