Is there a cat food shortage?

been spotty here, when some comes in, a few folks come in and snap it all up.
similar to TP, paper towels, and cleaners in general last year. a few people Hoard, shelves look bare, next guy goes OMG! NO (insert product)! I need to buy a bunch when the next batch comes in! lather rinse repeat.

also, cat/dog foods are made with the unusable bits (not fit for HUMAN consumption) from meat processors, who were shut down for a while, interrupting the supply chain, then as the various links in said chain come back on line, products going a-b-c-etc there are delays, and on top of all that, there's a shortage of truck drivers at the moment. (more delays at each step of the process.)
ain't life fun.

Our DG was almost out of dry food. Only one bag of our cat's favorite and it was big. Now we have 8 lbs of food for one cat.

It's been on and off here. I had to go to another store to find some. After the cat food it was litter. And it's starting here again. Last time I went to buy some cat food they only had the stuff that no cat will eat. Maybe it's a California thing. I haven't heard of other parts of the country having a problem.

Friskies had a major revamp of their soft cat food turning it into “ designer cat food” . If you have a chance look at the labels. There is lots around. I found it totally loaded with artificial colouring and thought the marketing was silly.

I changed to “ Presidents Choice” that is probably marketed under other names as well. Slightly less around but can be had. If it stinks like cat food, cats love it. You don’t have to have eleven colours.

Last edited:
That's how it is at HEB. Almost no canned cat food. I buy all my cat's food at either Petco or Petsmart (Purina One Pro Plan).

Had not noticed a problem in most stores, but some lower-end places such as Dollar General do have empty shelves. It does seem as if more canned cat food is being sold. The large cans have been hard to find for years, and most stores carry only the smaller tuna-sized cans. I have an old toothless catster too.

The shelves here are bare. No canned cat food to be found. My old toothless cat can't eat dry food anymore. We went to 3 stores and found 4 cans.
We’ve never had a shortage here, but I’ve heard of other areas having them.

Can you buy what you need online?

The shelves here are bare. No canned cat food to be found. My old toothless cat can't eat dry food anymore. We went to 3 stores and found 4 cans.
Canned tuna can be had very cheaply till the shelves are stocked back up. I have heard of people hoarding pet food for their critters.

We have found the flavor selection is limited with our finicky cats that happen to be "redomesticated" feral kittens of all things. Amazon noted they cat food makers were limiting productions due to aluminum can supply issues.

Around here if the 'lost cat' signs are accurate, Coyotes and Mountain lions seem to be finding plenty of house cats to eat.
I keep my cats in. The few times my elderly 19 year old cat gets out she got attacked by a pack of coyotes (mom and pups). She w.as cowering in the grill. They pissed me off making a ruckus on my deck so stupidly went outside with a forest axe in underwear no less and went to town. The pups ran and mama stood her ground and took a good blow as my forest axe was bloody.

It was spotty here for awhile but seems to have made a 90% comeback. What was really hard to find until lately was cat litter. I got to wondering if the lack of toilet paper was causing some people to “improvise”…

Back