Is tech making our youth dumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A computer gamer is seen exactly same as a drunk ,drug addict.test it for fun.say you are a gamer .be specific .not gambler ,gamer.

I don't think tech is reducing the intelligence of our youth, I think it's allowing them to solve more complex problems.

I don't know. I'm not exactly seeing a plethora of well-adjusted geniuses in my own age group (I'm 49).

It's pretty much expected for one generation to rag on the younger generations.

"They listen to that dad-blame rock 'n roll music..."

I feel being glued to tech gadgets,video games,TV,and being isolated indoors will harm their "street smarts" and ability to gain normal social skills,which are very important once you become a grown-up and enter the real world.

I see so many extremely intelligent book-smart people that can't interact normally with mixed company,and I see so many college educated people that just have no social skills and no real world problem solving skills.

I, too, have thought about this with a 10 year old daughter. Made the "mistake" of getting her a tablet for christmas. All she'll want to do is play mindcraft. Now, in that games' defense, there is a lot of thought process involved. She can be lazy. She gets good grades in school, wayyyyy better than I ever did, so I can't really complain. But what if everything went dark? Not a prepper, but it could happen. Would she survive without me? Answer is #ell no. No way she could. That worries me, but I don't think it's about intelligence more than I feel it's experience not being passed down from me. I'm talking about things I did as a youth....fishing, building forts and [censored], learning how to change oil, cutting grass, etc. etc....you get the picture. I think whoever early said no sense in teaching how to kill a bison with a spear really summed it up. Is she getting as much out of building stuff on Mindcraft as I did building forts? I'd think yes, but in a different way. I mean, look at new musicians....lots of computer controlled voice enhancers and musical data interfaces that really doesn't require a skilled musician, but one good at programming. All the measures and tempo's are built into the software.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
not "dumber" but lazy, less respectful and more disengaged in the world around them.

Yes, this is more like it. And lets not forget that there have always been lazy idiots in every generation as well...

But if you look at the enabler that tech is from an academic and technical standpoint - the efficiency and level of detail that things can be studied and analyzed because of the technical improvements, they are pretty amazing.

But as usual, anyone who is not motivated will fall behind. Now you just have much more connected, yet unmotivated, idiots.

There's nothing really wrong with being lazy though, at least not by itself. It's just what you do with that trait that matters.

For the lazy and unambitious, being lazy means sitting around, guzzling Mountain Dew, eating Doritos, and pwning n00bs in Call of Duty.

For the lazy and ambitious, being lazy means trying to find more efficient wasy to complete productive tasks so you can spend more of your time sitting around, guzzling Mountain Dew, eating Doritos, and pwning n00bs in Call of Duty.

In that light, being lazy can be an asset.

As someone who has been a professional programmer for a living... some in the old school might regard me as lazy because I have zero interest in learning how to use punchcards to build programs. I can get far more bang for my buck in terms of time spent using a modern integrated development environment.

I have to agree on comment of dumber.

As a whole I don't feel folks my age are any smarter just more experienced(hopefully). I personally believe people make statements about others "intelligence" to feel better about themselves.

They are the future of the nation so they need to have the skills necessary to compete with the rest of the world. With the way things are today, there may not be a world for anything but bacteria and viruses.

They are the future of the nation so they need to have the skills necessary to compete with the rest of the world. With the way things are going today, there may not be a world for anything but bacteria and viruses.

As a parent ( I speak to all the parents ), we do not think tech make our kids dumber, they just born and grown up with technology , tech is part of there life and also our too. Old generation die and new generation rise.

Is tech making our youth dumber? In my opinion, no technology is not making kids dumber. I think you could possibly argue that tech is making some kids smarter, it's all in how you use technology. I do however think that technology might be causing kids to have less patience and shorter attention spans.

I do think that there are a number of other things that could be making some kids dumber. One example would be these extremely vain "reality" tv stars and other "celebrities" that kids look up to and idolize. I know there have always been celebrities who haven't been the best role models, but technology and social media makes it much easier for kids to stay up to date on what their favorite celebrities are up to, and thus easier to mimic their behavior.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Is tech making our youth dumber? In my opinion, no technology is not making kids dumber. I think you could possibly argue that tech is making some kids smarter, it's all in how you use technology. I do however think that technology might be causing kids to have less patience and shorter attention spans.

I do think that there are a number of other things that could be making some kids dumber. One example would be these extremely vain "reality" tv stars and other "celebrities" that kids look up to and idolize. I know there have always been celebrities who haven't been the best role models, but technology and social media makes it much easier for kids to stay up to date on what their favorite celebrities are up to.

I agree with the part in bold of your statement. Adults are not immune either.

The dumbing down of America is exactly what the global elite want. The global elite owns the media and use it as a valuable tool to keep the population well entertained so that the sheeple don't start thinking too much. They don't want you thinking about stuff and eventually figuring out their master plan to enslave you.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The dumbing down of America is exactly what the global elite want. The global elite owns the media and use it as a valuable tool to keep the population well entertained so that the sheeple don't start thinking too much. They don't want you thinking about stuff and eventually figuring out their master plan to enslave you.

electrolyteskelly_fullpic.jpg

Even though technology has given us the power to be more high tech, there is always negativity about it. People are getting lazier and dependent on technology.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: wsar10
not "dumber" but lazy, less respectful and more disengaged in the world around them.

Yes, this is more like it. And lets not forget that there have always been lazy idiots in every generation as well...

But if you look at the enabler that tech is from an academic and technical standpoint - the efficiency and level of detail that things can be studied and analyzed because of the technical improvements, they are pretty amazing.

But as usual, anyone who is not motivated will fall behind. Now you just have much more connected, yet unmotivated, idiots.

This. My kids range from late twenties to early thirties and are the last generation of real thinking, productive kids IMO. Those younger seem to think that they are entitled to something just because they breathe.

My Wife saw this in her pediatric practice across 16 years in the public school system. Parents now want to drop off the kid at school and be done with it, and if there's a problem why didn't YOU fix it? Then there's the outrageous behavior in public of little ones these days.

Productive doesn't mean just moving dirt or sweating, but it does mean generating value for society...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back