Is synthetic oil worse for engines that get fewer miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about my '00 Silverado 5.3 w/ 23k miles on the odo.

It gets 1yr OCI's unless the OLM lights up.

I was using dino Val or Pennz w/ Fram filter, now on M1 10-30 API SL w/ Bosch Premium filter.

How well will the M1 10-30 SL work on a Vortec iron block with Aluminum heads with an average of 4-7k miles a year with 1yr OCI's?

I thought M1 would be better than dino!

Thanks, MGBV8!
cheers.gif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Synthetic oils do not stick to metal parts like a dino oil will. They use a tackifier to solve the problem but it can only be of limited benefit. Using a synthetic oil in an engine that sits would be like starting it every time with a fresh oil change in that there is no lube until the system pressurizes. Overnite, not a problem but generally you will find that synethics will have elevated wear metals in the winter time and it is due to corrosion that appears as wear metals, primarily iron.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This quote tells me this guy is no expert. Starting an engine that has sat for more than a month or two is way worse that starting after and oil change. How long does an average oilchange take. An hour at the most? There is still lots of oil still clinging to potential wear areas. Plus the filter is nearly full if you include that in your oilchanging pratices.
An engine that has sat for a few months has very little oil left up high. Plus the filter will be drained back depending on what angle its mounted at. I pulled my last motor out and let it set on a stand for 6 months. I left it for a while with the drain plug out and noticed that it drained pretty steady for a month or two and then pretty much quit. I was suprise at the amount of oil that continued to drip out after the first week or so. Anytime I let an engine I care about sit over the winter over, I pull the dist and preoil it. Also pour a little oil in the spark plug holes. I'm kinda anal tho

quote:

TallPaul:
.... Low mileage and synthetics do not mix as the synthetics are more prone to corrosion than a dino in an engine that sits. Wear metals in a low mileage, sitting environment will be higher with a synthetic. ....

There are three major synthetic base stock families: polyalphaolefin, diester, and ester. The three act differently in some significant aspects. The formulation of a motor oil with any of them, or some combination, will have as much to do with wear metals in a low mileage environment as the base stocks.

So the statement doesn't seem to have much basis.

ExxonMobil, for example, formulates the 10W-40 and 20W-50 motorcycle oils with additives designed to combat corrosion and increase polarity (keeping an oil film on parts for long periods) specifically in recognition that in much of the country motorcycles spend long periods simply sitting.

I'd use either one of them over any mineral oil in a low mileage car if the viscosities were appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back