Is SuperTech an Off-Brand Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I would like to know if anyone knows if "SuperTech" at WalMart is actualy another brand, or close to it

Also, what they think of it?

I just picked up a 5-Gal. Jug -very- Cheap

It says "High Performance Formula." Blue Jug

Is there anything i should know about SuperTech, Good or Bad? And do i need to go adding anything into it?

If it helps.. 96 Thunderbird, 4.6
210,000 Miles

If you have the aggressive grip built into the opener and it's a >1 inch wide mouth its XOM. The cheaper looking cap is WPP.

I'm using ST in a brand new SUV as I have to change oil every 3750 miles to stay in warranty. No sense in going expensive if I have to change that much and at $9.50 for a 5 quart walmart jug it sounds like it will fit the bill.

Your SUV is a Subaru Forester XT?
Anyway, of course Supertech is an off-brand product.
However, there have been many good UOAs on here using Supertech oil, so I'd have no problem using it for shortish drains, as I have in the past.
Name brand syn is cheaper on clearance or with MIR, however.

Originally Posted By: KC_admin
I'm using ST in a brand new SUV as I have to change oil every 3750 miles to stay in warranty. No sense in going expensive if I have to change that much and at $9.50 for a 5 quart walmart jug it sounds like it will fit the bill.

The most sense I've read on here in a while.

The latest UOA's on the ST oil reveals a very nice add pack. IIRC, it looked very close to Chevron Supreme.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

The most sense I've read on here in a while.
Anyone call SOA to see if they will extend the OCI if you use a A3-B3/B4 LL "real" syn? 3800mi is silly-short interval for a premium oil. CAUTION: I wouldnt get a GF4 anywhere NEAR that engine.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
3800mi is silly-short interval for a premium oil.

SuperTech is considered a "premium" oil? I drive (or rather my wife drives) a 2010 Nissan Xterra and the manual calls for a 5W-30 SM oil with the "starburst" certification. ST seems to cover all those requirements and I have not seen anyone on BITOG condemn it so I decided why not use it.

I did the first oil change last weekend and got the factory fill out and put 5 qts of leftover MC5000 and an OEM filter that I had in my stash but have a jug of ST waiting to go in there next time. The factory fill oil was strange. It poured like water and had a purplish look about it.

The factory fill oil was strange. It poured like water and had a purplish look about it.

Wonder if it was the Nissan Ester oil?

I saw that data sheet comparing oils.
Supertech was above average - pretty good.
Also consider Motorcraft if you need a 5-20 jug - it is excellent and cheap.

Don't assume just because Warren makes it somehow it's an inferior product. Warren makes a very fine product. In fact, they are the supplier of all the oil for the police dept here in Memphis. And trust me, those cars are driven HARD ! 5w30 dino.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Just what manufacture calls for 3750 mile oil changes.Thats in the dark ages.

My wife's 06 Nissan Pathfinder calls for 3,750 OCI.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I use the Super Tech for all Auto-RX runs.

I heard you are not supposed to use AutoRx in Aluminum Engines. Seems that would be almost All Engines!

Do you have an Aluminum Head? If you have a Subaru Forester, i Guarantee you Do..

SuperTech sounds Dirt Cheap and also Quality. Maybe a great Oil for use all the time

yep, worked great in my vehicles for 3-4k OCIs, I'd generally alternate between the cheap ST and PYB-primarily "just for kicks" give the engine something new :)

Though WPP does distribute the oil in my locale, I find it interesting that the QS quarts and "ST" Synthetic quarts are both "clear" or translucnet
wink.gif

Something has me thinking they are/may be related.....BUT the QS bottle didn't have the WPP marking.....:p But the bottles are like the exact same design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back