Is Splenda really fat-free?

I have found zero conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners cause any negative health issues, and this has been studied for decades. Same goes for GMOs.

There is a ton of evidence that HFCS and added sugar lead to diabetes, obesity and other negative health issues. Sugary drinks especially really cause blood sugar levels to spike, a glass of OJ has a much higher impact on insulin levels than eating an orange.

That would make sense because a glass of OJ contains 3-4 oranges... ;)
The glycemic load of a glass of OJ is way higher than an orange, because of all the corn sweetener in OJ. The uptake of corn sweetener is way faster than the natural sugars in oranges.

The glycemic load of a glass of OJ is way higher than an orange, because of all the corn sweetener in OJ. The uptake of corn sweetener is way faster than the natural sugars in oranges.
I know what the intent was but being a smart"guy":LOL: sometimes had to point out that 1/3 of a glass of OJ is = average orange.

I'll have to check but does simply orange or florida's natural contain HFCS? I thought not.

Edit: just noticed Florida's natural is now from concentrate.. I havent had that since last year.

Corn sweeteners in orange juice? You’ll have to explain that one to me. Some sort of sketchy “orange drink”, sure. But 100% orange juice sold in the store?

Generally if the sweetness of orange juice is deficient it is improved with ion exchange, not by adding sweetener.

Splenda is a family of sweeteners with the one in yellow box and yellow packets being sucralose.

Sucralose and sugar both mess with your blood sugar levels. If that's a problem then use other sweeteners.

Most artificial sweetener packets have a small amount of real sugars (typically dextrose) to at least give a little bit of physical heft. Not much though. I'm not sure one can still find sweetener tablets where they're tiny and usually not cut with as much sugar.

Corn sweeteners in orange juice? You’ll have to explain that one to me. Some sort of sketchy “orange drink”, sure. But 100% orange juice sold in the store?

Generally if the sweetness of orange juice is deficient it is improved with ion exchange, not by adding sweetener.

Yeah - I've never heard of that allowed in the US. I have been to other countries where I saw OJ that had added sugar. I think I was served OJ with added sugar on an international flight out of the US, but I'm thinking it was picked up outside the US.

There are some controversies over the use of "flavor packets" (made from orange processing byproducts like pulp/peels) in supposedly "not from concentrate" OJ. They apparently get used to balance the flavor and/or sweetness of natural OJ, which obviously is going to vary.

Ok but what if the liquid substance has no sugar; does the body treat it like sugar and make you fat anyway?
I feel you’re being unfairly criticized.
You’re entirely correct, artificial sweeteners can contribute to over eating.
The best possible drink you can have for refreshment is water.

My personal feeling is by using artificial sweeteners you are putting off conditioning yourself to be satisfied eating foods and snacks that are not sweet.

Once you’re used to not eating sweets in products anymore, whether they’re sweetened with sugar or artificial sweetener.
You then find it easier to turn away other sweet products, such as cakes and ice cream, and work yourself towards a life without added sugar of any kind.

I no longer have a desire to eat any type of desserts, loaded with sugar, donuts, ice cream, any type of cake whatsoever.

I’m perfectly happy now with the frozen yogurt bar or cup of no added sugar yogurt.

For the first time in my life, just in the last couple months, I even stopped adding a half teaspoon of sugar to my coffee. No artificial sweeteners no added sugars of any kind. It’s kind of funny it’s almost like human beings as animals corporations train the public to buy their products to fill a craving that they created. I no longer will give into that and I’m actually enjoying it.

Last edited:
The cheap stuff that doesn't say 100% orange juice usually has sweetener(s) and that sweetener is usually high fructose corn syrup because it's cheap.

Even the 100% orange juice has roughly the same amount of sugar per volume as soda.

I just avoid OJ completely.

If I were to drink orange juice I would prefer fresh squeezed. Some of the products available are just horrendous.

Check on some that have extra pulp or proclaim they are pulpy. A lot of that pulp is fake.

I've had friends who were type 1 diabetics and Splenda is what they always used. Didn't raise their blood sugar at all.

On the subject of oj. My fave kind is the concentrate in the can that you mix with water. I but HEB Country Style with tons of pulp.

I've had friends who were type 1 diabetics and Splenda is what they always used. Didn't raise their blood sugar at all.

On the subject of oj. My fave kind is the concentrate in the can that you mix with water. I but HEB Country Style with tons of pulp.
I meant to type "I buy" HEB Country Style with tons of pulp.

The label says "With juicy bits of orange".

I use plant-based Stevia which is better tasting in my opinion. It’s been awhile since I used it, but I think Splenda is also zero calorie. 🤷‍♂️
45904DBF-D8AF-4563-A1C5-D35E657BA1AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Check those bits out. If they all look the same then it’s fake. They call it insoluble fiber.
Man as soon as I read this I went and looked! I stirred it up really well in the pitcher. They're all different shapes and sizes. Definitely pieces of orange. You can see the actual friut pieces. (y)

They took sucrose (table sugar) and replaced three OH- groups with three Cl- groups. The net result is it is not metabolized to make ATP and its contribution to energy intake is zero except for a few calories found in consumer products that are due to the bulk carrier used - usually maltodextrin. Most of it you poop out (it does act as an osmotic in the GI tract in high doses) and some is absorbed and broken down into two metabolites before being peed out.

Back