Is semi-synthetic 10W-40 still a thing?

The OP is located in France. I'll add my two cents. 10w-40 is widely available in US. Walmart and auto parts retailers readily have it available. Almost any grade you want, you can find easily.

In Canada our choices are less abundant. 10w-40 is not easily available at Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire. Same with 20w-50.

If you are comfortable running 10w-40 that's all that matters for you. Based on what I read here, people that use 10w-40 in Bitog try it when they have a motor that leaks or burns a lot of oil and they want to slow down that oil consumption.

The OP is located in France. I'll add my two cents. 10w-40 is widely available in US. Walmart and auto parts retailers readily have it available. Almost any grade you want, you can find easily.

In Canada our choices are less abundant. 10w-40 is not easily available at Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire. Same with 20w-50.

If you are comfortable running 10w-40 that's all that matters for you. Based on what I read here, people that use 10w-40 in Bitog try it when they have a motor that leaks or burns a lot of oil and they want to slow down that oil consumption.
Honestly I neither see a reason for 10w-40 or 20w-50 in modern vehicles unless it has mechanical problems. I'm shocked how much of both of these we sell at the parts store!

Reactions: JC1
Honestly I neither see a reason for 10w-40 or 20w-50 in modern vehicles unless it has mechanical problems. I'm shocked how much of both of these we sell at the parts store!

Joe Average thinks about oils differently.

10W-40 is better than 10W-30 because it's thicker without being thicker.

Don't use 5W-40 instead of 10W-30 because it's thinner.

4 Cylinders work hard and run hot so they need 20W-50.

Bigger is better. 0W-20 is minimum spec oil. It costs so much because it's hard to make it that won't immediately destroy an engine. Use 20W-50 instead. The bigger the better.

OW20 would probably work fine for Myrtle in her muscle car driving back and forth to church every Sunday. But if she were to get on the Autobahn driving WOT for hours on end she'd probably need to bump up the viscosity. From reading various FSM's,owners manuals,and Blackstone's comments on uoa's,this is how I infer picking the proper viscosity. 😁

I never fall for the "thicker is better" and i would probably use a 5W-30 during winter if it was affordable to help with short trips and a cold engine. However i mostly do highway driving at 110/130 km/h around 3000 rpm so the good old W40 makes sense i think. I would be curious to try a W50 just to see if it quiets down the noisy timing chain (the M111 engine is notorious for that) as well as the slight tappet tick when cold.

Did anyone have success quieting down a noisy timing chain with heavier oil ? The M111 engine sounds like a metal bucket full of marbles (they all do).

Until recently I think most European 10W-40 Blends were around 65% GI / 35% GIII Base Oils because GII was seldom used in Europe.

Most quality modern USA made 10W-40 were Group II.

Different ways of accomplishing the same thing. So most USA based members have little experience with 10W-40 blends.

Did anyone have success quieting down a noisy timing chain with heavier oil ? The M111 engine sounds like a metal bucket full of marbles (they all do).
Try an oil wich has MoDTC in it....there is one study here on bitog wich supports that teory...but since we have new forum I have lost all my teacked topics....

I am doing a few researches here and it looks like people are often more successful quieting down a noisy engine switching to lighter oils rather than thicker. I am really tempted to try something else than a W40 for the first time. I read about another user with a 00 MB E430 who made his engine silent by switching from Mobil 1 0W40 to 0W20. Engine ran cooler too and throttle response was improved.

The TC in my G5 seems to be quieter with conventional 10W-30 and a bottle of STP Gold Bottle Synthetic Oil Treatment.

the few a3/b3 (i.e mobil 1 hm) 10w40s sold in america are bargain basement oils at premium prices

Last edited:
the few a3/b3 (i.e mobil 1 hm) 10w40s sold in america are bargain basement oils at premium prices
It's the same price as pretty much every other name brand synthetic on the shelf, if you want bargain basement at a rip off price look at Ravenol TSi 10W40, I don't know why they'd even bother to import that to the US.

Hi guys, I've been browsing this forum for a while and noticed that 10W-40 wasn't a very popular oil here. I also see some negative talk about it from time to time (some say semi-synthetic cause worse leaks than synthetic etc). It looks like it's still one of the most popular viscosities in europe and a best seller for sure.
While a 5L jug synthetic 5W-40 is around 30€, 10W-40 is only around 20€ or 13/15€ when on sale for brands like Total, Elf or Shell. It is really cheap to get and carries ratings that get better with years and almost similar to the synthetics now (API SN, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3...). At this point i almost dont see any reason to use synthetics if the interval is kept relatively short with a mild climate for NA engines.
Why is 10W-40 so popular here ? (besides 5W-40 and 5W-30 mid saps). Is it popular in other parts of the world as well ? Did you guys noticed drawbacks vs synthetics for the aforementioned use ?
I like it because it has a higher HTHS and KV100 than most of the 0w/5w40s, though I'll probably just stick to 15w40s in the warmer months from now on. No reason to use a 0/5W winter rating if it's hot as balls outside. Delo semisynthetic 15w40 is $14 a gallon. Hard to beat that.

Back