Is progress leaving anyone behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: novadude
One thing I don't get about millenials, as the car doesn't seem to represent to them what it did to me when I was growing up: FREEDOM.

Darn right. A car isn't freedom, it's just another debt. Want to go somewhere? A bus or a plane ticket is a lot cheaper than a car.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

The most important thing to recognize in this thread is that you're also in the hospital; God Speed sir and I hope YOU get home soon also!

I'm out of Intensive Care after 20 days and I'm going home this week end. My recent postings represent my effort to "stay busy".

I'm leaving with the "dad" who is being discharged to home Hospice care. I think his understanding of his condition was a deciding factor in gifting the car to his kid. I'm arranging for the car to go to a collector that is over the mood about this car. He's paying a more than fair price for the car and giving the kid his wife's 2 year old Camry separate from the Chevy II deal, and upgrading her to a Lexus. The father is good with all this, the collector's wife is really happy and the kid has got what he describes as the perfect car. I gave him the number of a local independent mechanic and told him to go there and do everything the guy says down to the last detail.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I was working at 15 years old unloading produce trucks at 6:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

You lazy ..... MR. Nice!

make it 3-4 AM during week, then do the 1-1.5 hour commute to high-school.

and in mid-school i did walk uphill and downhill in rain/snow/heat/slush/mud/no sidewalks.

OneEyeJack, DON"T YOU NOT DARE LEAVE US, SIR!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I was working at 15 years old unloading produce trucks at 6:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

You lazy ..... MR. Nice!

make it 3-4 AM during week, then do the 1-1.5 hour commute to high-school.

and in mid-school i did walk uphill and downhill in rain/snow/heat/slush/mud/no sidewalks.

Worry not. I'll take your advice. I'm not ready to use my 84 Civic wagon DD as a coffin, yet (lol).

This times A MILLION!! How are you doing Jack,is everything ok?

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Originally Posted By: novadude
One thing I don't get about millenials, as the car doesn't seem to represent to them what it did to me when I was growing up: FREEDOM.

Darn right. A car isn't freedom, it's just another debt. Want to go somewhere? A bus or a plane ticket is a lot cheaper than a car.

I think millenials see freedom in a differant way. To 'us' a car represented 'freedom'. To them it is a Ball and chain requiring periodic attention and expence and a place to park.

Their idea of freedom is to be unencumbered with no ties.

This is not just limited to cars but to Work, relationships, geographic location and more.

In a way I see their point, obligations can be a pain in the neck!

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm still kicking. Been fighting some health problems and just spent 20 days in intensive care. I'm too busy to be sick so I'm on the way home. First I helped the dad and son get home. On the way we stopped at a outdoor furniture store and got dad a lounge chair, small table and an umbrella for his deck. Sunlight is good but since doctors and the drug companies can't charge for it you seldom hear how good it is.

Tomorrow the collector picks up the Chevy II and drops off his wife's Camry (see previous post). So what did we do. We took out the Chevy II for an hour drive. I drove, dad sat up front and the kid in the back. When we got back I couldn't get dad out right away. There were tears streaming down his face and his son gave him a hug. Soon after we got back in the house and I helped them get everything setup. I then went to a local restaurant and got them dinner, then went home to my wife. It was a very emotional journey home from the hospital.

For all those that criticized the father or son they're too busy right now learning how to say good by. And I'm all in, done.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I'm still kicking. Been fighting some health problems and just spent 20 days in intensive care. I'm too busy to be sick so I'm on the way home. First I helped the dad and son get home. On the way we stopped at a outdoor furniture store and got dad a lounge chair, small table and an umbrella for his deck. Sunlight is good but since doctors and the drug companies can't charge for it you seldom hear how good it is.

Tomorrow the collector picks up the Chevy II and drops off his wife's Camry (see previous post). So what did we do. We took out the Chevy II for an hour drive. I drove, dad sat up front and the kid in the back. When we got back I couldn't get dad out right away. There were tears streaming down his face and his son gave him a hug. Soon after we got back in the house and I helped them get everything setup. I then went to a local restaurant and got them dinner, then went home to my wife. It was a very emotional journey home from the hospital.

For all those that criticized the father or son they're too busy right now learning how to say good by. And I'm all in, done.

It sounds like you made an amazing friend!! I hope and pray he will somehow be ok. I remember the night my sister called me and said she signed hospice papers on our dad. I had no idea what hospice meant,I'd never heard that term before. I immediately looked it up and I felt my world suddenly come to an end. He was gone three weeks later. I will always keep you and your new amazing friend in my prayers. You seem like a really wonderful person!

Millenials always seem to expect the latest and greatest things without thinking about the consequences or the resources needed to acquire those things.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

It sounds like you made an amazing friend!! I hope and pray he will somehow be ok. I remember the night my sister called me and said she signed hospice papers on our dad. I had no idea what hospice meant,I'd never heard that term before. I immediately looked it up and I felt my world suddenly come to an end. He was gone three weeks later. I will always keep you and your new amazing friend in my prayers. You seem like a really wonderful person!

You may have discovered what an amazing group of people there are in Hospice care. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I feel like this past week I've met a good friend and he'll be gone before we can explore our friendship. I can only hope I've helped him out. Now it's like he and his son are finally getting the chance to experience the best of life after losing the wife/mother about 10 years ago to a drunk driver. Late is better than never. On top of that the Hospice lady is here and she's a saint.

As for me, I'm just finished with a hot shower, a bowl of potato soup and a crash into a bed of clean sheets with the care of my wife, that's never left my side through my struggle. All I can say right now about life is, the best is yet to come. Goodnight, all.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Millenials always seem to expect the latest and greatest things without thinking about the consequences or the resources needed to acquire those things.

Sounds like every generation in human history.

I may be a complete dank, but man there is a lot going on here. After reading it all it kinda sounds like a load. 20 days in ICU, but you had the freedom to sit in the solarium where you overheard this conversation, then wheeled yourself outside to see the car where a dozen people were gathered around. You mention his dad, then you meet his dad who now is suddenly going downhill fast. The kid is a stellar whiz at everything. Dad went to hospice, but you helped father and son get home, and on the way home you stopped to buy them some outdoor furniture. You arranged for a collector to buy the car, and the collector's wife is really happy. They cried, you helped them set up their furniture, went out to get them dinner, then finally you went home to crash. All after finally being released from 20 days in ICU. You're either an amazing person, or a great raconteur. I'm personally leaning toward the latter.

^^^^

I can't see a reason why he would embellish anything. Why would he? What is there to gain? I give him the benefit of the doubt, and also add that some people are just good people. "Oneeyejack" sounds like one of those people to me.

I feel like a bit of an [censored] for jumping on "ungrateful, entitled" junior... but there always seems to be more to the story. A young man that lost his Mother, and is about to lose his Father... that is rough.

I'll just end with wishing all involved the best.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I may be a complete dank, but man there is a lot going on here. After reading it all it kinda sounds like a load. 20 days in ICU, but you had the freedom to sit in the solarium where you overheard this conversation, then wheeled yourself outside to see the car where a dozen people were gathered around. You mention his dad, then you meet his dad who now is suddenly going downhill fast. The kid is a stellar whiz at everything. Dad went to hospice, but you helped father and son get home, and on the way home you stopped to buy them some outdoor furniture. You arranged for a collector to buy the car, and the collector's wife is really happy. They cried, you helped them set up their furniture, went out to get them dinner, then finally you went home to crash. All after finally being released from 20 days in ICU. You're either an amazing person, or a great raconteur. I'm personally leaning toward the latter.

The drugs in ICU are very powerful.

Actually, I believe him. A touching story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back