Is progress leaving anyone behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do a hot take and seems like Dad got his son a gift Dad wanted, instead of communicating and understanding what his son likes and doesn't like.

The story said the Dad works in a shop, so cars isn't something out of the blue. I'm sure that he must have talked about cars with his son at least a few times in their relationship. From those conversations it should be obvious that the son is NOT interested in cars at all.

It's only really ungrateful if the son specifically asked for the thing, or asked for something similar like a '65 chevy but got a '64, or why is it blue I wanted red-like you see in the spoiled super sweet16 reality shows

I put majority of this crossed wires and miscommunication on dad, especially the part about spending 3 years doing it. [censored]? The kid didn't ask him to spend 3 years on that-especially time alone. That's all on dad. Why invest so much time on a "surprise" instead of spending that time with the recipient himself?

For example, spent 3 hours after work doing something on the car project. Instead, take the kid to a baseball game-or to the comic book store or fishing, or whatever it is the kid is interested in.

sure guys aren't great on communication, but you can't blame the kid for this. On the same token, I don't think the kid or the dad is unique with this kind of relationship and they can open up communications in other ways. Whatever it is, don't spend another 3 years working independently on secret gifts, obviously that isn't working.

Last edited:
The Son is an ungrateful, entitled little punk. I see that with a lot of kids these days. They are incapable of walking to School. They absolutely must have the latest Smartphone..

All these kiddies are in for a rude awakening when they hit the real world.

for my kid I would want a car that had air bags and seat/lap belts.
that cars is Dads dream, maybe not the best 4 the kid, car probably has zero built in crash protection and will crumble up in a wreck.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
that cars is Dads dream, maybe not the best 4 the kid, car probably has zero built in crash protection and will crumble up in a wreck.

All of that is quite true, but there are ways to be a little more grateful, of course. We've all gotten gifts that weren't exactly to our taste. That's not a time to make a scene though, unless one is a toddler.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

For me, I't take the Chevy II and never look back.

The kid is in college. If he's smart, he'll focus on his education and make that a priority. If he has student loan debt, the father would be smart to sell the car and help pay it off.

It's clear the kid isn't interested in vintage cars; not everyone has an interest in old Chevrolets. Dealing with all the issues of a vintage car while trying to focus on an education isn't exactly a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Kid is a milienal
Probly thinks its ok to use the ladys restroom too.

LOL!
lol.gif

And from California.

I've been talking with the father some more tonight. The car was his first car and the father is the patient here at the hospital with me. I see his motivation. He's going down hill pretty quickly. He will never go back to work and he's hoping to just be able to make it home.

That there would make me want to have the car even more. Every time I'd drive it,it'd remind me of him and feel like a part of him was there with me.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Have to split the blame here:

1. Kid is an ingrate, for sure. Free car? ****

2. Father should know better than to give someone who is not a classic car guy a classic car.

More or less what I was going to say.

Yeah, the kid might have a thing or two to learn about respecting when people go out on a limb for him and give gifts that express their passions.

At the same time, if you express your passion with someone with someone who doesn't share it, you should fully expect to be disappointed. And if all you can think is that they should be grateful, you're not just seeking respect; you're saying you're entitled to their feelings. Luckily, there's not a lot of evidence that the father in this story felt that way. Sounds like he's just looking to feel cared-for and remembered -- maybe that's something else the kid should learn something about. But apparently some in this thread would feel that way, if they were in his shoes...

We don't know what the kid's actual reaction was, just OP's description of it.

Truth is, a 60s vintage car is just about the worst gift you could ever give to a kid starting college. High maintenance, poor economy, poor safety, magnet for vandalism. What's the kid supposed to do with it? Pay to store it until he graduates?

The money it cost to restore it would have been a better gift. Or maybe spend three years of time with the kid, instead.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Kid sounds like a spoiled brat, granted, but that's entirely the father's fault.
He gives in one more time and goes buy that kid a car.
Obviously this dad doesn't believe his kid should work or sweat in any way and save money to buy a car, and that's the result.

Regardless of whatever restoration hobby he may be in, he's doing the kid a disservice.

^^^ This ^^^

Probably the only child.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Kid is a milienal
Probly thinks its ok to use the ladys restroom too.
you got that cheese right,,,,

Me and a buddy of mine rode from San Diego to Tennessee in the summer of 66 after Viet Nam in his, did a fine job in getting us home....in his Chevy 2.

I want to know what kind of friends this guy has who make fun of a car like that? Back in high school we had a guy with a fully restored beetle. Everybody in school wanted that car. even the Hummer and corvette driving spoiled brats thought the old beetle was cool.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I want to know what kind of friends this guy has who make fun of a car like that? Back in high school we had a guy with a fully restored beetle. Everybody in school wanted that car. even the Hummer and corvette driving spoiled brats thought the old beetle was cool.

That's what happened with my son's first car; I fixed up a 1975 BMW 2002 for him:

That car always drew attention away from the newer machines.

The father restored the car while the son was away in a private school for exceptional students. The mother died several years before the boy left for school. The father was not taking time away from home to restore the car.

There's something else here. The father is losing ground very fast and as of this morning will be sent home and admitted to Hospice care. The kid put off starting his scholarship to stay home and take care of him.

The only problem between them is that the kid is not a car person and the father lives and breathes cars. The kid has no interest in anything except computers. What a great combination.

The father restored the car while the son was away in a private school for exceptional students. The mother died several years before the boy left for school. The father was not taking time away from home to restore the car.

There's something else here. The father is losing ground very fast and as of this morning will be sent home and admitted to Hospice care. The kid put off starting his scholarship to stay home and take care of him.

The only problem between them is that the kid is not a car person and the father lives and breathes cars. The kid has no interest in anything except computers. What a great combination.

My son isn't as rabid a car enthusiast as I am, but he still likes them and enjoys going to races, HPDEs, etc. It's a great blessing when a child shares your interests on his/her own- and vice versa.

The thing is, 'we' look at that car with nostalgia. The kid sees it for what it is, and what it does/doesn't do.

The kid sees cars as an appliance, which today is what many cars are becomming.He does not see the car as a sorce of recreation, he can see no joy in doing something like 'burning rubber' (which you have to admit is a bit of a strange pastime)

As an appliance, that car (today) is VERY outdated!

Think of it like being given a 20 year old computer! He may even feel awkward and embarrassed that he has been given something he really dosent want.

The father should have known better. I mean, He did not build that car overnight. He should have realised earlier on the kid had no interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back