Is progress leaving anyone behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a college and I"m around the "millennials" every day. Their lack of manners, dignity, respect for others, etc., that they show to the staff and faculty every day is just breathtaking to me.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I work at a college and I"m around the "millennials" every day. Their lack of manners, dignity, respect for others, etc., that they show to the staff and faculty every day is just breathtaking to me.

Ed

I blame the parents; they almost certainly tolerated that behavior at home.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

This exactly. Let's face it, the only people worst than millenials are the parents/role models who brought them up that way.
This thought makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, so they turn to blaming these kids' generation instead, easier on the mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The father restored the car while the son was away in a private school for exceptional students. The mother died several years before the boy left for school. The father was not taking time away from home to restore the car.

There's something else here. The father is losing ground very fast and as of this morning will be sent home and admitted to Hospice care. The kid put off starting his scholarship to stay home and take care of him.

The only problem between them is that the kid is not a car person and the father lives and breathes cars. The kid has no interest in anything except computers. What a great combination.

So the kid:

1. Is sacrificing starting his education to help his Dad.

2. Is doing exceptionally well with his education.

Starting to sound like the grumpy old men have this kid pegged wrong.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: MCompact

This exactly. Let's face it, the only people worst than millenials are the parents/role models who brought them up that way.
This thought makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, so they turn to blaming these kids' generation instead, easier on the mind.

I'll give you a clue which "great" generation was responsible for a lot of millenials.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The father restored the car while the son was away in a private school for exceptional students. The mother died several years before the boy left for school. The father was not taking time away from home to restore the car.

There's something else here. The father is losing ground very fast and as of this morning will be sent home and admitted to Hospice care. The kid put off starting his scholarship to stay home and take care of him.

The only problem between them is that the kid is not a car person and the father lives and breathes cars. The kid has no interest in anything except computers. What a great combination.

So the kid:

1. Is sacrificing starting his education to help his Dad.

2. Is doing exceptionally well with his education.

Starting to sound like the grumpy old men have this kid pegged wrong.

No. I know a ton of kids just like him. Sits at home playing computer and video games all day. Never had a job. Has a bunch of participation trophies on his book case. Could have gotten the drivers license at 15, but waited until he was 23 because mom died and stopped driving him around. Plans on going to college for "video game design". Spends 125K dollars on school, only to find out it was a complete waste and hardly any "video game" companies hire. They hire 1 out of every 50 that graduate the program. Sits at home, in mommies basement, complaining about anything and everything. Throws a temper tantrum when dinner isn't delivered at 6PM sharp.

My dad wasn't around when I was growing up. It affected me DEARLY. I WILL be in my sons life, and he WILL grow up understanding that nothing is free and there is no free lunch. He will buy his first car. And his first bike. And any games or electronics he wants. Wife and I make a solid 6 figure income and could easily provide such things for him, but I flat out refuse to buy them for him. If he wants something, he needs to EARN it, and learn the VALUE of the hard work it took to attain such items. Period.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My dad wasn't around when I was growing up. It affected me DEARLY. I WILL be in my sons life, and he WILL grow up understanding that nothing is free and there is no free lunch. He will buy his first car. And his first bike. And any games or electronics he wants. Wife and I make a solid 6 figure income and could easily provide such things for him, but I flat out refuse to buy them for him. If he wants something, he needs to EARN it, and learn the VALUE of the hard work it took to attain such items. Period.

Really? His first bike? I didn't know toddlers could work legally in the US.

No. I know a ton of kids just like him. Sits at home playing computer and video games all day. Never had a job. Has a bunch of participation trophies on his book case. Could have gotten the drivers license at 15, but waited until he was 23 because mom died and stopped driving him around. Plans on going to college for "video game design". Spends 125K dollars on school, only to find out it was a complete waste and hardly any "video game" companies hire. They hire 1 out of every 50 that graduate the program. Sits at home, in mommies basement, complaining about anything and everything. Throws a temper tantrum when dinner isn't delivered at 6PM sharp.

I think you missed this part from OneEyeJack... In his defense he's starts school with a full ride scholarship and plans to be a computer cyber security expert. He already makes a good living as a part time contractor doing real time data access programs in C++ that he taught himself in high school, for a company that process communications. He is taking a year off between high school and college and he's good enough that they are actually letting him touch production code, that's a big deal.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Really? His first bike? I didn't know toddlers could work legally in the US.

Yep, his first bike. His meals too. Toilet paper? Go mow the lawn and EARN it. Or go poop in the woods for free.

Originally Posted By: expat
The thing is, 'we' look at that car with nostalgia. The kid sees it for what it is, and what it does/doesn't do.

The kid sees cars as an appliance, which today is what many cars are becomming.He does not see the car as a sorce of recreation, he can see no joy in doing something like 'burning rubber' (which you have to admit is a bit of a strange pastime)

As an appliance, that car (today) is VERY outdated!

Think of it like being given a 20 year old computer! He may even feel awkward and embarrassed that he has been given something he really dosent want.

The father should have known better. I mean, He did not build that car overnight. He should have realised earlier on the kid had no interest in it.

One thing I don't get about millenials, as the car doesn't seem to represent to them what it did to me when I was growing up: FREEDOM.

How many of the over ~40 yr old crowd here got their license the day after their 16th birthday and spent most of their teen years just cruising around with no particular place to go (cue Chuck Berry song
wink.gif
). I'm guessing a lot.

I turn 45 this year, and I think that pastime more-or-less died after the gen-x generation.

I was working at 15 years old unloading produce trucks at 6:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I know lots of successful people and their teen children / young adult kids are very lazy. But that's 90% the parents fault for allowing the kids to be momma's boys and sit around.

Every generation marches to its own drum. I don't understand the love affair most individuals today have with their cell phone. I watch young people in restaurants and they can't take their eye off their phone for over thirty seconds. Constantly checking that phone. What in the *@#$^&#**&% are they doing? Do they have to report their latest experience every thirty seconds? What is that almost insatiable need to be connected to every person they know 24/7? Tap tap taping away on those little screens I'll have to admit that this 80 year old [censored] has been left behind by progress.My doctor spends more time entering data into his laptop than he does actually talking to me. Somebody with a better perspective fill me in. And maybe you can also tell me why my TV screen is pink every other time I turn it on. Spectrum can't. A new name and new trucks but no idea why TV starts up with a pink screen. Ah yes, the PINK SCREEN OF Death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

For me, I't take the Chevy II and never look back.

The kid is in college. If he's smart, he'll focus on his education and make that a priority. If he has student loan debt, the father would be smart to sell the car and help pay it off.

It's clear the kid isn't interested in vintage cars; not everyone has an interest in old Chevrolets.

The first part I cannot disagree strongly enough with!!! It's completely ludicrous to expect a parent to pay for their kids college education, let alone sell off possessions!!!! I feel that's part of "The problem" these days... parents are doing more and more for each successive generation. Now it's not uncommon for parents to work 2 jobs to pay for not only their own things- like the house and car, insurance and so on, but also a nice savings account for little Timmy and a fund for his college education. I mean seriously?! WHAT? When is little Timmy going to learn the value (both monetary and the work it takes to get it) of the things that he is getting. I mean- what's a hundred bucks to him? He'll never know if it's just handed to him. Make him do yard work, mow yards, scoop snow, bale hay... SOMETHING! Once he understands that money doesn't grow on trees, he'll be a lot farther ahead in life and much more appreciative of it.

YOU, POP_RIVET, of all people should understand that concept. I remember you saying your father didn't approve of your choice in life paths/careers- and that you had to fund your own way. He wanted you to be a farmer like him and you moved on to learn programming and start a business.

The second part however, we are in agreement. By the time Jr was moving on to whatever fancy school the O/P was talking about, the father should have seen that the boy was no car person and not bothered making the car into a gift.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Originally Posted By: expat
The thing is, 'we' look at that car with nostalgia. The kid sees it for what it is, and what it does/doesn't do.

The kid sees cars as an appliance, which today is what many cars are becomming.He does not see the car as a sorce of recreation, he can see no joy in doing something like 'burning rubber' (which you have to admit is a bit of a strange pastime)

As an appliance, that car (today) is VERY outdated!

Think of it like being given a 20 year old computer! He may even feel awkward and embarrassed that he has been given something he really dosent want.

The father should have known better. I mean, He did not build that car overnight. He should have realised earlier on the kid had no interest in it.

One thing I don't get about millenials, as the car doesn't seem to represent to them what it did to me when I was growing up: FREEDOM.

How many of the over ~40 yr old crowd here got their license the day after their 16th birthday and spent most of their teen years just cruising around with no particular place to go (cue Chuck Berry song
wink.gif
). I'm guessing a lot.

I turn 45 this year, and I think that pastime more-or-less died after the gen-x generation.

Exactly novadude! I'm 48. Got my learner's permit at 15. I had a few 18 year old friends,so one of them would go with me and (when my parents would let me borrow one of their cars) we'd just drive all over the place. Like you said,car keys = freedom and good times!!

I think the gifted car was part of a father and son "bonding" gift from dad. One day when his parents are long gone and he's all alone,he'll think back long and hard about the way he treated his dad.

It all has to do with parenting as well as societal influences.

I'm a millennial (26), but I differ from most my age. I work hard, I do things on my own, I put others first, and have an analytical/engineering mindset. With that said, I know many who are the complete opposite of me and feel the world owes them something. My parents didn't raise me that way.

I work in a school and see this all the time. It saddens me to think what the next generation will be like. I've had teachers tell me that parents call in to yell at the teacher for not being considerate of their child's struggles, when in fact the student has no disabilities at all, they simply lack motivation. My parents would have never done that, in fact if a teacher said I was doing poorly, they would look into what I was doing wrong.

I've been talking with the father some more tonight. The car was his first car and the father is the patient here at the hospital with me. I see his motivation. He's going down hill pretty quickly. He will never go back to work and he's hoping to just be able to make it home.

The kid thinks of a car as a kind of a thing one must have but doesn't want it to rub off on him. I think he knows a car needs some kind of service and he knows how to fill up the fuel tank but that's about as far as it goes. In his defense he's starts school with a full ride scholarship and plans to be a computer cyber security expert. He already makes a good living as a part time contractor doing real time data access programs in C++ that he taught himself in high school, for a company that process communications. He is taking a year off between high school and college and he's good enough that they are actually letting him touch production code, that's a big deal. That's where I met him.

It's kind of funny. We are exact opposites in life and yet we work together quite well even though I don't like him much. His father and I now get along like we've been friends all our lives.

The most important thing to recognize in this thread is that you're also in the hospital; God Speed sir and I hope YOU get home soon also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back