Is P0430 specific to converter issues?

Just talked to Lexus mechanic. Since we have no emissions checks in Virginia, he said he would just clear the code and rock ‘n’ roll.

Only cleared about three times a year.

CATACLEAN was not lucky. Codes came back on within first 75 miles. $28 peed away. Coulda seen Top Gun with my
sweety and shared a tub of popcorn and a big Pepsi for that.

Switch bank 1 and bank 2 O2 sensors.
"All" the mechanics told me it was a cat code. They said it had nothing to do with the O2 sensors????

They "all" said to check for gasket leaks at the "Y" and if no leaks, I need to replace the cat.

I used the spark plug antifouler fix on my ‘96 vortex pickup without cats. Works like a charm, no cel’s in over 1000 miles.
The man is onto this cheat. In Texas the licensed inspectors at the licensed inspection stations are instructed to look for anti-foulers and flunk any vehicle it is found on. Some inspectors look, and some inspectors don't look. Once they flunk you the vehicle is tagged in the state's computer and you can't get an inspection passed anywhere else until you have the problem properly corrected.

There are also O2 sensor "extensions" that have a small catalyst in them. These also seem to work.

IMG_5937_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
The man is onto this cheat. In Texas the licensed inspectors at the licensed inspection stations are instructed to look for anti-foulers and flunk any vehicle it is found on. Some inspectors look, and some inspectors don't look. Once they flunk you the vehicle is tagged in the state's computer and you can't get an inspection passed anywhere else until you have the problem properly corrected.
Depending upon how quickly the code returns if the spacer is absent, you could conceivably drive around with the spacer....this would keep CEL off for your personal sanity but still allow drive cycle counts for inspection. Then pull spacer before inspection.

Update on my codes.

I ran 2 cans of Cataclean with 1/4 tank of gas. I was on my third fill up after the Cataclean and the
lights all went away. I ain't kidding. I didn't erase them. I was driving and looked down and the pretty lights were all gone.
I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I even checked my Blue Driver and I don't have any "pending" codes.

My mechanic said it may take a couple of fill ups before I would know if the Cataclean worked. Maybe he is right????

Update on my codes.

I ran 2 cans of Cataclean with 1/4 tank of gas. I was on my third fill up after the Cataclean and the
lights all went away. I ain't kidding. I didn't erase them. I was driving and looked down and the pretty lights were all gone.
I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I even checked my Blue Driver and I don't have any "pending" codes.

My mechanic said it may take a couple of fill ups before I would know if the Cataclean worked. Maybe he is right????
Now that it’s been a few months, how is the catalytic converter situation now?

There are also O2 sensor "extensions" that have a small catalyst in them. These also seem to work.

IMG_5937_1024x1024.jpg
I know a guy who installed one of these on a very high mileage vehicle. His cat plugged so he rodded it out and that turned off his light. Prior to that, he had tried spacers with no luck.

That code means that the cat is not cleaning the exhaust as it should. 90% of the time it's a failed cat. But it can be caused by other problems like a vacuum leak or bad injector.

Yes and I'd recommend making sure everything else is perfect (checking misfire counters, fuel trims and actual o2 sensor data) because it would suck to destroy the new cat prematurely.

Since the cat does not have any electronics in it there has to be a sensor that reports the problem, so there is always a chance that the sensor is reporting false info. Pick the easiest , cheapest one to replace first unless you have away to test the sensor. But I would do as suggested and take a good long drive to get it hot and then clear the code to see if it comes back first.
Yes! When l worked at the tune-up shop{s} in PA circa mid 80's we did emissions, but the program was brand new in PA.
At that time we were certified to do emission testing, but not safety inspections. So a lot of customers would come in for the tune-up and emission test. The boss used to "road test" the cars. I guess he was "balls to the wall" on the road test,
but when he came back they usually passed.

Back