Is P0430 specific to converter issues?

I got this code on my 09 Lexus IS350. A Lexus service advisor told me not to waste my time with an 02 sensor. He said this code was specific to the converter. Just checking with you as I’m checking up on him. LOL

Is this code specific for a bad converter?

Yes. It means bank 2 catalytic is no good, in cars that have more than one converter.

P0420 and/or P0430 alone basically always mean you need a cat.

I've seen this code before, my old Subaru threw it a few times. It comes from an O2 sensor that is downstream from the cat converter. So it could be a problem with the O2 sensor or the cat converter. Or maybe an exhaust leak.
With the Subaru, I cleared the codes and it didn't come back. Maybe it got cleared by some freeway driving letting it get to full operating temperature.

Since the cat does not have any electronics in it there has to be a sensor that reports the problem, so there is always a chance that the sensor is reporting false info. Pick the easiest , cheapest one to replace first unless you have away to test the sensor. But I would do as suggested and take a good long drive to get it hot and then clear the code to see if it comes back first.

You'd want to see some live data to see how the downstream O2 sensor behaves in comparison to the upstream one before making a determination.

P0420 is bank 1 P0430 is bank 2. Any other codes?
Yes. C1201 and C1241 show up periodically but only with the P0430.

Got the P0430 in sept and oct 21, march 22 and June 22

I’ve been erasing them since last September

Last edited:
Following for cataclean experience and results, good luck :)
YEAH>>>>>Luck is a very interesting phenomenon.

Sorta like I felt lucky when getting those steroid shots in both knees. The only thing that changed was my blood glucose level.
I was lucky I didn't pass out on the way home from the Dr's office.

Before you dump anything in your tank: how is the car driven on a daily basis? I've cured many a Cat Efficiency code by simply taking said vehicle on a test drive and giving it the beans. Lots of low gear, long pull acceleration runs followed by a coast down in the same gear.

Cats work best when they're hot. Not meltdown hot, but hot. Cars that are driven gently tend to not produce exhaust gasses hot enough to truly "light off" the converters. My suggestion? Find a stretch of road and make a couple wide open passes from 0-70 or so, downshifting as you slow down.

Before you dump anything in your tank: how is the car driven on a daily basis? I've cured many a Cat Efficiency code by simply taking said vehicle on a test drive and giving it the beans. Lots of low gear, long pull acceleration runs followed by a coast down in the same gear.

Cats work best when they're hot. Not meltdown hot, but hot. Cars that are driven gently tend to not produce exhaust gasses hot enough to truly "light off" the converters. My suggestion? Find a stretch of road and make a couple wide open passes from 0-70 or so, downshifting as you slow down.

I would definitely try this first if it's a gently driven car - most cars I've seen with catalytic converter issues and torque converter shudders came from people that seem to drive with just the edge of their big toe on the pedal lol.

Back