Is oil consumption a gauge on engine condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's '05 Sienna used about a quart for two OCIs of 4.5k when I switched from M1 to Valv Synpower. Didn't use any before or since, so I'm not sure usage of some oil means too much. I posted the question a while back and the consensus was that switching oil can increase oil consumption and that it will generally go away, which in fact it did.

I have a '67 Plymouth Valiant with the 225 slant six. The car has a little over 45k original miles. Even after rebuilding the head it uses a quart of oil in about 300 miles. The original carburetor was defective causing rich running. The car also appears to have been used primarily in stop and go service with short trips. The thermostat I replaced was not allowing full operating temperature either. The low tech engine, old lubricants, fuel wash, many cold starts and low operating temps all conspired to cause serious upper cylinder and ring wear. I know that engine wear is causing my oil consumption. Once I install the rebuilt engine I expect to use less than 1 quart in 2-3k miles. Keeping the engine in good tune, making sure it comes up to operating temperature and proper service will keep the new engine healthy much longer than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back