Is my hydrometer right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 z28 camaro and I just replaced my water pump. I pretty much got all the fluid out of the car includint the block. Well everything went ok and i filled it with peak lifetime 50/50. I put two gallons because thats all i had and it appeared that i needed just a little bit more fluid to run the car. So i put in half a gallon of distilled water till i got some more. I then bought full strength peak lifetime and added a half gallon of that. So i have a 50/50 mixture.

I bled the system out good and used my hydrometer. Its got 5 balls in it and only 2 are floating. The rest arent floating but they aren't sunk completely to the bottom either. It says if 2 balls are floating only protected to +5 degrees F. I've already went down past 0 and it hasn't froze. I was wondering if my hydrometer is right or wrong and if i am safe for now? Worst temp i think ill have this year is -20 F w/ windchill.

So, should i add some more antifreeze or not? Ive used 50/50 water with dexcool and it floated 4 balls previously but that solution was full of dirt so i dumped it.

If you haved any of the 50/50 left, or carefully make some and see how many balls flaot. Those things may not be that accurate, but I wouldn't think they would change how they read.

No 50/50 left, I tried to get every last drop out. But i have 2 gallons 50/50 premixed and 1 gallon 50/50 that i made, btw, i did let it do some full heat cycles 3 or 4 times so id think that its probably alright.

Am i safe to leave it in the cold or not?

Unless you pulled the drain plugs on the sides of the block there was still 1-1.5 gallons of water in the cooling systen even with the waterpump removed.

I'd drain out a gallon and dump in a whole gallon of 100% antifreeze.

I agree with Chris, although I don't think a whole gallon is necessary. I would drain out some and refill with straight antifreeze, though, then see where that gets you. Checking the tester with a known 50/50 solution is a good idea, too. Use a measuring cup to mix it, but wash it VERY well before using it for anything else.

if you didnt flush the block, you can assume the fluid trapped in the block was very likely 50/50 (or "close" enough).

windchill doesnt count for antifreeze. for windchill to be effective you need to have water evaporating (like skin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back