coolant to water ratio for 5.9 cummins

coolant concentrate still has a little bit of water in it. if you took the water out of concentrate i guess you could run a 40% ish coolant to water ratio instead of 50% and have the same amount of glycol in the system.
Following that line of thinking, you know that this coolant that’s being discussed is anhydrous?

Following that line of thinking, you know that this coolant that’s being discussed is anhydrous?
i don't know if the coolant discussed is anhydrous. i was just sayin that most off the shelf coolant concentrate still has water in it.

60 /40 won’t cut it in Edmonton. :D
Agreed, IIRC the old Prestone jugs used to recommend up to a 70:30 coolant-to-water mixture for maximum antifreeze protection.

Edit: Just checked the OEM website. Their premixed 50:50 coolant is rated for -37°C. A 70:30 mix (full-strength to water) is good to -64°C. 😳

As a general rule, anti boil will keep increasing up to 100%.

However, anti freeze will diminish past 70%. 100% antifreeze freezes at +14F.

I would say 50/50 is good enough, unless you experience below -34F temps

Agreed, IIRC the old Prestone jugs used to recommend up to a 70:30 coolant-to-water mixture for maximum antifreeze protection.

Edit: Just checked the OEM website. Their premixed 50:50 coolant is rated for -37°C. A 70:30 mix (full-strength to water) is good to -64°C. 😳
Unless I’ve mistaken it all my life, pretty sure it’s in F not C. I’m talking my entire life. Could be one of those moments 😂

I doubt it because 100% is +14 degrees and C would make no sense at all it’s above freezing . 14F is below freezing

Interesting, from memory and over 30 years.

50/50 is good to -34F.

100% freezes higher than 50/50 at +14F.

Never memorized what 70/30 actually was and online there seems to be confusion between C and F and the -64 number 🙂

This only goes to 60%

This is a pretty good chart and it’s been a while since I posted it so maybe it’s time again.

Also it’s important to understand that diols don’t have a well defined melting point so anything you read or see is subjective.

IMG_4627.jpeg

Interesting, from memory and over 30 years.

50/50 is good to -34F.

100% freezes higher than 50/50 at +14F.

Never memorized what 70/30 actually was and online there seems to be confusion between C and F and the -64 number 🙂

This only goes to 60%

Interesting! It appears the best they can do (per the linked chart) is -54°F, which is about -48°C, achieved at 56% (4 parts concentrate to 3 parts water).

Like I mentioned these mixtures do not have a well defined melting point so it's possible that they're basing it on being a pumpable slush. There's also "bursting point" where you'll cause damage.

Hello everybody!

I'm getting ready to change coolant on my 01 cummins. Its about 30k on the current and i try to change it about every 30k miles with cheap green coolant. All my previous coolant changes I purchased 50/50 pre diluted coolant and just poured it in until it was full. A while back I read on this forum about coolant ratio and that it was okay to have 60-70% coolant and 40-30% water. Would it be better to keep engine cooler in hot summer months here in SC?
Also I started towing a dump trailer and use it on the property and realized that my truck is getting hotter when I tow. Thats why I got 190 degree thermostat to change out and hoping to get "better cooling" with high ration of coolant?
I'm thinking about flushing coolant system by following moparman write up and flushing it with water to make sure to get old coolant out of heater core and everywhere. And then start filling it up with coolant concentrate. Its about 3 gallons of coolant, so i would use 2 gallons of concentrate and then fill the rest with water.
Anyone see of any issues with that?
Have you considered using an OAT coolant like ES Compleat OAT? Million mile, life-of-the-engine coolant that removes the need for SCA's altogether and you can purely top off as needed. Fully-formulated and fully-warranted by Fleetguard.

Have you considered using an OAT coolant like ES Compleat OAT? Million mile, life-of-the-engine coolant that removes the need for SCA's altogether and you can purely top off as needed. Fully-formulated and fully-warranted by Fleetguard.
Nope. There is nothing a million mile, except cummins. If I have to I'll run 100% water before I run that. I'll get regular coolant and I'll just change it every 30k.

Nope. There is nothing a million mile, except cummins. If I have to I'll run 100% water before I run that. I'll get regular coolant and I'll just change it every 30k.
There are plenty of over the road trucks running red OAT coolant that have proved it can go a million miles without any issue. It is the superior choice for any diesel coolant application. Not only does it offer better protection it also keeps the cooling system spotless clean.

I think you have it backwards. More water will keep it cooler. Water is a more effective heat transfer medium.
For Cummins I wouldn't go below 60% water/40% Coolant.

Its not clear which coolant you intend to use, i'd be very sure to use the correct coolant for the application.
This!!

There are plenty of over the road trucks running red OAT coolant that have proved it can go a million miles without any issue. It is the superior choice for any diesel coolant application. Not only does it offer better protection it also keeps the cooling system spotless clean.
I'm sure there are and there is a science to back it up. But I guess I'll be old school and stubborn. On daily driver that gets hot and cold multiple times a day I would have hard time trusting it.

Back