Is Multi ATF Real ?

There are different chemical makeups and properties of the various AT fluids.
My question is, has any had a negative effect on a transmission it is recommended for?
I have not seen any such studies...

I have used Maxlife in Hondas and Toyotas, as well as the Idemitsu fluids. Sometimes I even use factory fluids!
Our TSX with 211K is currently running Idemitsu Honda equivalent with a touch of Lubegaurd Red.
Dang thing runs like new.

Amsoil had the first synthetic ATF on the market in the 1970's.

Was the product perfect? Well about the same as any ATF. Change fluid in a failing AT and you still have a failing AT.

The differences in fluid types are there, but not nearly as dramatic perceived by most people. And when the differences are significant. Amsoil will have a different product offering. Hence 5 different AT formulations. Bottom line from Amsoil: Run the Amsoil recommended ATF and you simply won't have an ATF issue.

To get this answer just put some Dextron IV into an older vehicle spec'd for Dextron III or IV.
Dexron not Dextron. I’ve done that many times on my old vehicles and it’s been fine, although now I use Maxlife because it’s less expensive. But DEXRON-VI is the proper replacement.

And there was no DEXRON-IV license.

Last edited:
I use AMSOIL's transmission fluid in all our vehicles with no issues. This is in a 2014 Cruze diesel, a 2016 GM 6L80 and a 2019 GM 10L80 with no problems.

I ran it in my 2002 Silverado that in the beginning was dexron III and switched it over the dexron VI and it had over 200k on it when I sold with no issues.

A lubricant suppler/manufacture/company would not be in business long if they put out a product claming to be sutable and it wasn't.

Dexron not Dextron. I’ve done that many times on my old vehicles and it’s been fine, although now I use Maxlife because it’s less expensive. But DEXRON-VI is the proper replacement.

And there was no DEXRON-IV license.
Thank You for caring so much about my spelling!
I'm not speaking to the licensing detail so much as I'm speaking from RWE.

I use Amsoil Signature Series ATF in place of Mercon V. It works exceptionally well.
I will never use anything but.
And, with the extended drain intervals, it's no more expensive than any other ATF.
My little ole' 2 cents worth.

it says it meets Mitsubishi spiii

supposedly anything exept the oem fluid will cause torque converter shudder in some old Mitsubishis. this has been proven by a bunch of folks on other forums. maybe i can convince one of them to be a guinea pig, but I wouldn't trust it.

There are multi-vehicle CVT fluids out there which claim to meet Toyota TC and FE spec. Now, those are two different viscosities.
As stated earlier, the fluid must sit somewhere between and have a 'margin of error' that isn't disclosed.

I have to say I used a lot of Maxlife trans fluid as well as the comparable Castrol fluid in my shop. I will only use it if the OEM spec is listed by Valvoline or Castrol as being ok to use. Hundreds of transmission services and no complaints. I think it works just fine.

Back