Is Mobil 1 the new "red headed step-child"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first came to this forum, Valvoline All Climate was being "torn a new one" ever other day or so. Now, it seems that there is more negative said about Mobil 1 synthetic due to this iron issue. Is this issue with iron levels more dependant on the engine, or is it more common in any vehicle running M1?

Quote:

When I first came to this forum, Valvoline All Climate was being "torn a new one" ever other day or so. Now, it seems that there is more negative said about Mobil 1 synthetic due to this iron issue. Is this issue with iron levels more dependant on the engine, or is it more common in any vehicle running M1?

Did anyone lighten up on Valvoline?
laugh.gif
This forum is a funny place with a few shepards and a ton of sheep. There is some great empirical data on here but there can be just as much emotion.... If I worked for an oil company I'd be on here everyday talking about the good feelings I get from "X" oil. Next thing you know everyone will realize it's the oil they have been searching for all their life.

I by no means claim to be one of the informed ones. I've fallen for this and that just like anyone.
laugh.gif
But it's still funny to watch it happen. I know we have UOAs and the like but sometimes I wonder how much can be gathered from all but the most catastrophically obvious ones by anyone other than a "Terry" quality poster.

Are we all just sitting around more or less doing this?
CarnactheMagnificent.jpg
laugh.gif

This topic has been discussed a dozen times. No need for Thread #13 on this subject. Please use the search feature here for recent news & poster opinions/reactions on Mobil-1.

I use Mobil 1 in both my cars and run 10,000 and 15,000 intervals. 10,000 mile iron is 11, 15,000 mile iron is 29. I think this is reasonable. The high iron may be cleaning going on in some engines.

Quote:

I use Mobil 1 in both my cars and run 10,000 and 15,000 intervals. 10,000 mile iron is 11, 15,000 mile iron is 29. I think this is reasonable. The high iron may be cleaning going on in some engines.

Yep. Redline gets a pass for high lead from a lot of people b/c they think it's cleaning...
grin.gif

Quote:

Mobil 1 is an excellent oil..
beer2.gif

Quote:

Did anyone lighten up on Valvoline?
laugh.gif
This forum is a funny place with a few shepards and a ton of sheep. There is some great empirical data on here but there can be just as much emotion.... If I worked for an oil company I'd be on here everyday talking about the good feelings I get from "X" oil. Next thing you know everyone will realize it's the oil they have been searching for all their life.

I by no means claim to be one of the informed ones. I've fallen for this and that just like anyone.
laugh.gif
But it's still funny to watch it happen. I know we have UOAs and the like but sometimes I wonder how much can be gathered from all but the most catastrophically obvious ones by anyone other than a "Terry" quality poster.

Are we all just sitting around more or less doing this?

Well said!
cheers.gif

M1 is the 800 pound gorilla of synthetics... i am using it in my 07 focus...they probably know a lot more about oil than anybody on this board...a billion dollars can buy a lot of engineering and testing..people ripthe for their profits , but i like their gas and motor oil...they also work closely with the major auto companies, so i would say they what is best for your engine

Quote:

M1 is the 800 pound gorilla of synthetics... i am using it in my 07 focus...they probably know a lot more about oil than anybody on this board...a billion dollars can buy a lot of engineering and testing..people ripthe for their profits , but i like their gas and motor oil...they also work closely with the major auto companies, so i would say they what is best for your engine

While Mobil 1 will do just fine in most engines, along with conventional oils, I had a very poor UOA come back using it in my Mazdaspeed 3. How an oil performs in known "harsh" conditions better determines the quality of the oil in my opinion. I am currently running Pennzoil Platinum and will see how it compares.

Quote:

a billion dollars can buy a lot of engineering and testing..

From what it sounds like, M1 isn't putting a lot of that money into engineering an exceptional product. They are riding the "Brand Name" wave right now with an oil that COULD be a lot better than it is.

Quote:

While Mobil 1 will do just fine in most engines, along with conventional oils, I had a very poor UOA come back using it in my Mazdaspeed 3. How an oil performs in known "harsh" conditions better determines the quality of the oil in my opinion. I am currently running Pennzoil Platinum and will see how it compares.

Bad UOA...heck blame the oil immediately!
laugh.gif

Quote:

From what it sounds like, M1 isn't putting a lot of that money into engineering an exceptional product. They are riding the "Brand Name" wave right now with an oil that COULD be a lot better than it is.

Is that right? Where did you hear the sounds?

I think Terry himself has made backhanded comments concerning M1, high iron readings and valve trains. It is nevertheless still a top quality motor oil.

But the problem some have with it is that Mobil contended for years that its PAO was the only genuine synthetic base, and priced it accordingly.

It is still priced "accordingly", but may not be a pricey PAO anymore. And it is no longer Mobil, but ExxonMobil, that is running the M1 wagon. For those breaking ranks with it, it is more a betrayal of induced trust and violation of value than any inherent performance shortcoming.

This horse has been beaten like a cat. We've killed it nine times by now.

Terry's great but I don't always agree with him and this is one of those cases. I can't help it. I must have a mental defect to be a BITOG member and think that I'm allowed to differ.
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Bad UOA...heck blame the oil immediately!
laugh.gif

Notice that I simply said I had a bad UOA using Mobil 1 and will see how Pennzoil Platinum does. If everthing looks similar on the next UOA with the exception of reduced wear then break in would be a likely cause and the engine is simply killing quality oils. If the next UOA comes back much better across the board then I would say that the PP is superior to Mobil 1 in this application.

I ran Mobil 1 in my Tundra and it seems to be fine, but I didn't do a UOA. It did stay clear while in the Mazda is turns black so the applications are very different.

Don't read too much into what people post.
wink.gif

Quote:

This topic has been discussed a dozen times. No need for Thread #13 on this subject. Please use the search feature here for recent news & poster opinions/reactions on Mobil-1.

Unless it's just recently been changed, I find the search feature all but useless.
frown.gif

I do not think it is but that is just my opinon. I would not and do not hesitate to use M1 or M1EP! THe only reason I have PP,VSP,VP,RTS etc... is due to price and price alone. I simply can not pass up good deals on oil! I have yet to get a bad UOA from M1 products.

I agree..this web site has gone to ---- with regard to the search function and the edit function. You now have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do either of those two.
why did they (whoever they are) make it so difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back