Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Decided to go with LM due to popularity in the enthusiast community...that's really it.

And don't forget it was because you thought the name and container looked good in your garage. Popular with the enthusiast community, cool container and impressive name. That's the ticket when it comes to oil choice.

Oh and because your doppelgänger/alter ego in this thread agrees with you.

Container/name not really part of it, but recommendations from folks with modified VWs seems like as good a reason as any - you buy a car, double the power, and see that lots of people doing the same thing and the shops that do it recommend a brand, seems logical to me.

Originally Posted by 4WD
There seems to be a pattern of "I'm thinking about buying a cool oil, what do you think."
Then a half dozen folks give sound reasons there are better choices (normally from 3 companies) for way less.
Then they buy it anyway after several pages on this site fill in.

If this wasn't, then what would the point of BITOG be? No more site, when you come to the page you just see "We've figured it out, no need to buy anything but M1/Castrol/Penzoil/Supertech at Walmart with rebates." You could use this argument about cars or anything really. Cars...easy. Buy a Toyota for ultimate reliability with 20 yo tech but variety is the spice of life and some folks actually want cars that aren't appliances and are enjoyable to own and drive even if they have more issues. You get 20 folks telling you don't buy an XYZ brand car b/c they have issues etc. but they do it anyway.

This site is v. informative and I have gleaned lots of info on oils that I wouldn't have otherwise and kidding aside, I appreciate those that are "oil nerds" that provide the content and yes, it's good to hear about what those folks think is the best etc. It's just a data point in a decision process - online forum experts seem to get butthurt if they give an opinion and then someone says thanks but no thanks. It would be different if some of the oils were actually bad for your vehicle or definitively could be shown to cause issues but the fact is, that isn't the case here in this discussion. The minutiae of specs etc. are discussed/debated and opinions shared. LM makes oils that are more money than similar (or better!) oils that can be bought just about anywhere. There is more to this decision (for me) than the specs etc. even though I am interested in them for sure. I like to support the businesses that support the VW enthusiast community with online content, parts, service, and DIYs etc. Buying LM kits form them supports this and I like to decided how to spend my money just like others here could care less about those things and care more about NOACK, HTHS, etc.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Long story … but to the title, yes it is …

You misspelled "over-priced" b/c that's really what it comes down to for several w/r to comparing it to M1 etc

Over here all Liqui-Moly is all about being popular in the more odious ways. Not about research based avantgarde, any seriousness or anything else in the products, but centerfold appeal to notoriously low motives of buying national and related trash. Perhaps milieux from abroad mistake the jamboree for half way knowledgeable collective choice, when watching through some scene-glasses, while the label is actually just nationally popular.

Then of course all that ain't less convincing than revolving around Mobil 1, Redline and Amsoil in their daily array. An orbit or inner circle about as overrated as Liqui Moly.

Decided to go with LM due to popularity in the enthusiast community...that's really it.

What is that community? I really want to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spooled
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by ad244
Hey BITOGers
Ive never seen a oil analysis which really showed an amazing result when using Liquimoly.... Is the stuff overrated especially when you factor in the cost?

Can't most of the same spec's be met with a lot of the Mobil 1 or Castrol offerings?

BUT, you are paying those oversized Made in Germany letters? I mean, don't you feel you get AT LEAST 20hp using that oil?
Yes, Mobi1 and Castrol meet all those requirements and are available in Wal mart.
Liqui Moly is OK oil, but it is average in every aspect. They are more focused on marketing than anything. When Group III oils started to make their ways as "synthetic" Liqui Moly immediately switched to group III and by far was the most aggressive in selling it as something beneficial.

edyvw- I believe you were the first to mention base stocks in this thread on page one.

Again, I agree with you as far as in my opinion, there are choices I would make before choosing Liqui-Moly, even though it appears to be a satisfactory product.

Correct - edyvw talks about base stocks a lot w/r to other parameters early in the posts.

Again, I said forget base stocks, compare oils that have same base stocks. Castrol 0W30/40 are majority Group III, Mobil1 0W40 is combination of base stocks, but has a healthy dose of GrIII, Valvoline 5W40 is GrIII, Motul etc.
Yous till cannot figure out answer besides "i feel cool" about it. And that is fine, I mean I use in my vehicle bunch of "cool" stuff, though I would never by mediocre product for "coolness" sake.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Long story … but to the title, yes it is …

You misspelled "over-priced" b/c that's really what it comes down to for several w/r to comparing it to M1 etc

Nope, M1 is superior product in EVERY aspect.

What is that community? I really want to know.

I take it you are not involved in it then. Do you use social media? The MK7 FB groups are huge with a ton of folks/knowledge base (along with a lot of folks with zero). Use Vortex? Use golfmk7.com forums? Do you spend time with local VW clubs?

I don't believe I've said I buy LM to "feel cool" or ever used the word cool...maybe being sarcastic at some point? I don't buy LM to be cool/look cool/have you think my garage is cool - that's something a few folks here seem to be fixated on w/r to me? I've been clear why I have chosen LM in my car, it's not very exciting b/c it's not based on NOACK or HTHS. It's a popular oil for VWs within the enthusiast community that mod their cars/add power etc. It has the correct approval(s) indicating it meets the requirements necessary and I like the places I spend my money through to get...that's all it really is as hard as that may be to believe. If we all only bought based on logic, we'd all be driving Toyotas. Emotion plays into purchases, even for oil. Enjoy your M1 (I used to in my MKIV Jetta!) and I'll enjoy my too-cool-for-school LM. Both our cars will run forever I'm sure....unless I put an even bigger turbo on it next year then maybe I'll send a piston to Mars!

Opps....doing my DGS in the morning (40k miles and a ton of launches) and went with LM DSG fluid. Kit with the filler tool bits and filter was $140. Just 5L of fluid and a filter next time will be about $70 and I can do FCP for the lifetime replacement. Choices were LM, Motul, Pentosin, or VW. LM was the cheapest by a little.

20200706_195500.jpg

Last edited:
Run what you like.. it meets the necessary specs= check ... Your car runs very good= check. Your pleased with the oils overall = check.

That's all that matters. And I think that's just fine.

I don't care to go to Walmart... So I buy my stuff elsewhere... Even if it cost $1-2 more for oils and filter.

By the way... AAP has Valvoline Castrol and Pennzoil full synthetic oils and a Fram Titanium oil filter for $33.99... that could be cheaper than Walmart because Valvoline Advanced full synthetic oil, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol edge, Mobil 1= not on rollback and a Fram Ultra is $35....

If those oils are on rollback they are $32 =. $21.97 for the oil and $10 for the Fram Ultra. Cheaper by $2 at Wally world... I will pay that $2 to not have to deal with the World Champions at Wally world.

Opps....doing my DGS in the morning (40k miles and a ton of launches) and went with LM DSG fluid. Kit with the filler tool bits and filter was $140. Just 5L of fluid and a filter next time will be about $70 and I can do FCP for the lifetime replacement. Choices were LM, Motul, Pentosin, or VW. LM was the cheapest by a little.

What you guys are basically arguing about is the old Chevy vs Ford thing. Who cares, if you are happy that is all that matters, any of the products will function for the intended purpose.

I'm sneaking up on Haldex and DSG servicing too.

I don't believe I've said I buy LM to "feel cool" or ever used the word cool...maybe being sarcastic at some point? I don't buy LM to be cool/look cool/have you think my garage is cool - that's something a few folks here seem to be fixated on w/r to me? I've been clear why I have chosen LM in my car, it's not very exciting b/c it's not based on NOACK or HTHS. It's a popular oil for VWs within the enthusiast community that mod their cars/add power etc. It has the correct approval(s) indicating it meets the requirements necessary and I like the places I spend my money through to get...that's all it really is as hard as that may be to believe. If we all only bought based on logic, we'd all be driving Toyotas. Emotion plays into purchases, even for oil. Enjoy your M1 (I used to in my MKIV Jetta!) and I'll enjoy my too-cool-for-school LM. Both our cars will run forever I'm sure....unless I put an even bigger turbo on it next year then maybe I'll send a piston to Mars!

Enthusiast community is set definiately more for Motul than Liqui Moly, if Liqui Moly at all. It is pushed by few vendors who make a buck on it. However, what you saying is that if "enthusiast community tomorrow moves to Costco Extra Virgin oil you will too?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

What you guys are basically arguing about is the old Chevy vs Ford thing. Who cares, if you are happy that is all that matters, any of the products will function for the intended purpose.

I'm sneaking up on Haldex and DSG servicing too.

It's my to-do this week. First time for both.

Enthusiast community is set definiately more for Motul than Liqui Moly, if Liqui Moly at all. It is pushed by few vendors who make a buck on it. However, what you saying is that if "enthusiast community tomorrow moves to Costco Extra Virgin oil you will too?

Recent poll on our MK7 wagon page. Extra virgin Costco...yum...

Screenshot_20200707-044914_Facebook.jpg

Liqui Moly has always had a cult following in the VW community. Same goes for Motul, as they both heavily advertise to the VW car communities. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn't make it any more superior than the other brands. It's basically more hip to use liquimoly in your VW car, which is fine, but test numbers don't lie, they are all within margin of each other.

Trust me, owning an Audi and being part of Audizine and Audiworld, yeah it's LM and Motul advertising galore in the hivemind. I just dumped Motul XCess for Penn Plat Euro 100 miles ago, car feels the same. It's no different with Shell/Pennzoil advertising here and "surprisingly" everyone recommends PUP or PP.

In the end, use whatever meets specs and helps you sleep at night. Who cares what anyone else says. If spending that extra $5 for that brand makes you feel good, then you do your thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Liqui Moly has always had a cult following in the VW community. Same goes for Motul, as they both heavily advertise to the VW car communities. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn't make it any more superior than the other brands. It's basically more hip to use liquimoly in your VW car, which is fine, but test numbers don't lie, they are all within margin of each other.

Trust me, owning an Audi and being part of Audizine and Audiworld, yeah it's LM and Motul advertising galore in the hivemind. I just dumped Motul XCess for Penn Plat Euro 100 miles ago, car feels the same. It's no different with Shell/Pennzoil advertising here and "surprisingly" everyone recommends PUP or PP.

In the end, use whatever meets specs and helps you sleep at night. Who cares what anyone else says. If spending that extra $5 for that brand makes you feel good, then you do your thing.

Someone that gets it.

Well, there's actually more to it than America just not getting the message (of some bold "Made in Germany" impacting oiled folks). Most of it can't even get it because of receiving the wrong shows on tv :)

Germany's got next top models too, but Germany also has a handful of propaganda stars regularly appearing on main TV-talk-shows or being interviewed by newspapers on all sorts of cues. Which means: The more advertising and advertising, the more advertising. Moreover even independant from initial advertising, as far as the underlying, rehashed and utilized ideologies rule. Doesn't necessarily sound like "Buy german!!!" all the time. Mostly it's their ordinary narratives of family business, down home and social, remaining retardedly progressive for the sake of xy... Tales from the staff and personal and family life for the sake of Größtmögliche Familienanschlußfähigkeit aller Zeiten.

Two of these people not ever qualified by VI or viscosity retention are Mr. Prost and Mr. Würth, another is the funny Mr. Grupp with the chimp. Liqui Moly alone kind of owns two of them, but not the chimp. So Liqui Moly is coming to our homes on Sunday via TV, on Monday on paper and on Wednesday again to repeat - whenever some known or unknown parties and networkers see fit. Again not by qualification from viscosity class and load carrying capacity or compelling minds. This makes for half of the german popularity and cult of LM. It's not from marketing troops' centerfolds only as one abroad might expect. Or some VW-fans over the counter might be told as anything but insider jokes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back