Is laptop getting too hot?

Well at least I was able to copy all my files, so if it bites the dust soon at least I'm covered.

OK my next step will be a teardown and compressed air, with a pencil to keep the fan from spinning.

OK, tore it down and blasted compressed air all over the fan.

There were a couple of casualties. Two screws that did not make it back into the laptop, and are still on my desk. That's not that big a deal---but I broke a clip holding one of my 8 gig sticks of RAM, so now I'm back to stock 8 gigs of ram, which doesn't appear to make that much of a difference. And now the fan utility has me at 48C instead of 70-80 like it did before. Speccy has me at 94-97C, instead of the 140C that it was measuring. So whichever one is right, cleaning out the fan sure seems to have made a big difference.

I also found out that my dog does not like compressed air. I know this because I shot it more than once at her.

Well hopefully this is it. I'll just ride this out another year and then get a new laptop. Thanks for helping me take it a year longer. Will save a bit of cash in the long run.

Uh oh, just happened again. I rebooted and the fan utility has the temp at 54C. So perhaps cleaning out the fan problem made it better, but didn't eliminate it?

Well this is several years old, perhaps this is just a sign I need to get a new one. I don't think I want to tear it down again.

Pete, I think I'm giving up DIY on this baby.

Sounds like you know chips, have an opinion on it?

Have you ever changed the battery? I had to change the internal LiON batteries on all our laptops (4) within the last 12 months, and am about to change the battery in our 5 year old Samsung tablet. Old, dying batteries can cause strange things to happen.

I spent several hours tearing it down yesterday. It has run for several hours this morning, but then shut down again randomly. I think I'm done tearing it down. At this point I just want to get a new one. If the problem keeps up I will.

Uh oh, just happened again. I rebooted and the fan utility has the temp at 54C. So perhaps cleaning out the fan problem made it better, but didn't eliminate it?

Well this is several years old, perhaps this is just a sign I need to get a new one. I don't think I want to tear it down again.
54C is definitely not too hot, so while you've solved the dust problem, it seems something else is in play here. Can you make up the UBCD and run Memtest? Wonder if that stick is flaky? You could swap it with the other one.

When I put my ear close to where I usually hear the fan, I can hear at least what I think the fan is, running at the lowest volume. But it is absolutely not the loud level that I've heard in the past.
the fan motor is broken (any noises?) or system for some reason is not giving proper speed signal to it.
laptop fans are specific, unlikely to buy new. maybe if you find a organ donor laptop.

I know I’m a little late but I would recommend a thermal paste change on the CPU if you feel like tearing it apart again lol Overtime it dries out it becomes hard and then it doesn’t transfer the heat from the CPU to the heatsink correctly even with a clean fan. I always upgrade the thermal paste on every laptop I touch because that is the number one issue I see with older laptops that run hot. This is always what I use http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm and seen temps drop sometimes 30-40 plus depending if the fan was also clogged.

I did this on the i7 MacBook also changed out the thermal paste and it’s at 125 Fahrenheit while browsing the Internet with webpages open (bitog of course!!) will go up to 155f watching a 4K YouTube video or 183f rendering videos with Med fan.

OK that will be my next step.

54C is definitely not too hot, so while you've solved the dust problem, it seems something else is in play here. Can you make up the UBCD and run Memtest? Wonder if that stick is flaky? You could swap it with the other one.

Interesting. Its stayed on all day after shutting down earlier this morning. And the temp has, according to the fan utility, been in the 50sC.

OK maybe the problem is solved. I don't know.... I'll wait for a few days before declaring that it has or hasn't been resolved. But tearing it down and shooting air into the fan sure has brought the temps down, thats for sure.

If you haven’t, it may be time for some new thermal paste. It dries out over time and if the heat sink or motherboard were to shift a little (or a big enough expansion/contraction from heating and cooling) and “break the seal” so to speak it will cause thermal issues. I’ve pulled apart old (3-5 years old on average) Dell micro desktops and the thermal paste on them just crumbles to dust. Just be careful cleaning the old stuff off the CPU, in laptops they’re pretty much all have exposed dies.

Edit - just read 09 GLS’s post saying the same thing… my bad!

I probably should have re-applied the thermal compound--I did see the CPU during the tear down, but I'm not digging back inside this for anything at this point.

I had a cheapo dell laptop that was overheating. I brought the CPU into a computer store, the guy sold me a $10 tube of thermal compound and he looked at the glue that was OEM on that chip and thought they had done a horrible job. After I re-applied it, there was a definite decrease in operating temps.

If you haven’t, it may be time for some new thermal paste. It dries out over time and if the heat sink or motherboard were to shift a little (or a big enough expansion/contraction from heating and cooling) and “break the seal” so to speak it will cause thermal issues. I’ve pulled apart old (3-5 years old on average) Dell micro desktops and the thermal paste on them just crumbles to dust. Just be careful cleaning the old stuff off the CPU, in laptops they’re pretty much all have exposed dies.

Edit - just read 09 GLS’s post saying the same thing… my bad!

Well 8 gigs is barely doable, but I was going so slow I started shopping for a new laptop.

I just inserted the second 8 gig stick that didn't fit into the slot properly. At least now, Windows detects all 16 gigs and I haven't electrocuted myself or fried the laptop. As long as I can go with 16, I'll keep this another year. If not, I go shopping. :)

Back