no image on laptop

my hp laptop is doing something weird. it lost the image on the laptop screen. i can plug in a monitor in and it works. now here is the odd thing. messing with it for while i wiped the drive and it updated to the latest windows update. when it powered up the screen came back. then when i rebooted it went dark again. So this tells me the back light works. i tried this a couple of times and each time the screen came back and lost at reboot .

i changed drivers and other things i could think of. any suggestions on what is wrong and what i can do next?

During the times when it doesn't work, do you get anything at all? Or lose it after it POSTs? Meaning you see the HP logo and whatever else comes up but then disappears when it should be going into Windows?

During the times when it doesn't work, do you get anything at all? Or lose it after it POSTs? Meaning you see the HP logo and whatever else comes up but then disappears when it should be going into Windows?
nope.don't get the hp logo on startup

Shine a flashlight into the screen and see if there is a dark image despite the lack of backlight. If there is an image, you prob have an intermittent backlight failure. If no image, suspect the LCD assembly itself.

Last edited:
Back