Is laptop getting too hot?

The last couple of weeks, my laptop (6 years old Lenovo Thinkpad E555, Windows 10, updated) has been randomly shutting down. I mean I am working one second and the next, screen goes black, won't awake as if sleeping, I press the power button and I see the bootup screen.

This happened a few minutes ago, and I just ran speccy and it highlighted (red numbers) the temp for my chip, around 140C, as well as for my SSD hard drive, around 55C.

When I put my ear close to where I usually hear the fan, I can hear at least what I think the fan is, running at the lowest volume. But it is absolutely not the loud level that I've heard in the past.

So are these numbers very high--and should my fan be switching to a higher level? Is that why the computer is shutting down?

FWIW, this is rather subjective, but I'm pretty sure I've felt the area where the chip is located, to be much hotter than it is now. It is hot, but not the absolutely hottest that its been. At those times, the fan has been fairly loud.

I'm doing all windows suggested updates, and after a reboot, I'll go to the Lenovo driver site and update all suggested drivers there, as well. I'll report back if that does anything.

I've already decided after purchasing a new keyboard and upgrading new ram in the last couple of years, that I'd do no more repairs on this---instead of replacing a fan, I'd just get a new laptop. So if I CAN keep this rig going for a while longer, I'd like to squeeze another year out of it. But it will have to be with duck tape, not with new hardware. :)

As it was restarting, I felt where the chip is, and it was much hotter than before, and I did hear the fan go on to its loudest level (volume wise). So I dunno, maybe the fan just isn't turning on as quickly as it used to? Taking longer to turn on, allowing the laptop to get too hot?

140 is very hot!

Install a little app called "TPfancontrol."

Most use it to down-regulate high fan noise in ThinkPads. You can use it to see what the fan is doing definitively. Also, you may need to clean the air flow ports depending upon pets/environment/etc.

OK, want me to paste the log into a reply? Got it installed and running.

Install a little app called "TPfancontrol."

Most use it to down-regulate high fan noise in ThinkPads. You can use it to see what the fan is doing definitively. Also, you may need to clean the air flow ports depending upon pets/environment/etc.

well this is interesting. Speccy says that my CPU temp is still above 135C. And the bottom of the laptop sure feels that hot.

But the CPFancontrol utility gives a CPU temp as being only 87C.

You can. Mainly, go in and see if you can control the fan manually - alter the RPMs.

I've had this problem before and I'm trying to remember how I fixed it (it's been a while). New fan, BIOS flash, etc.

1644615542933.png

1644615634268.jpg

Attachments

• 1644615516062.jpg
    1644615516062.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 5
(1) How do I use this utility to engage the fan? All I see is a printout of information.

(2) Am I correct in seeing a temp difference between what speccy is telling me, as well as this fan utility?

Change the mode to "manual" and then you can set the fan speed. See if it responds.

I am not familiar with speccy and don't know how/where it measures it; presumably it would have to use the same available inputs as tpfancontrol. The thinkpad forum and your appropriate model sub-forum is likely the go-to place for someone who knows precisely. I've found it a very valuable place over the years.

This is what I have to set my laptop on, just setting on this was good enough without plugging in the built in fans. This one is no longer available but there are many others to choose from, just an idea. I also like that it tilts it up some.

Have you cleaned the fan out? I have a gaming laptop with a higher end graphics card and it has a dual fan setup, it can get very hot during games that push its limits. I have to clean the fans out every few months just because the amount of dust that builds up in them. It may be trying to engage the fan to a higher RPM but can't because it is too clogged.

The last couple of weeks, my laptop (6 years old Lenovo Thinkpad E555, Windows 10, updated) has been randomly shutting down. I mean I am working one second and the next, screen goes black, won't awake as if sleeping, I press the power button and I see the bootup screen.

This happened a few minutes ago, and I just ran speccy and it highlighted (red numbers) the temp for my chip, around 140C, as well as for my SSD hard drive, around 55C.

When I put my ear close to where I usually hear the fan, I can hear at least what I think the fan is, running at the lowest volume. But it is absolutely not the loud level that I've heard in the past.

So are these numbers very high--and should my fan be switching to a higher level? Is that why the computer is shutting down?

FWIW, this is rather subjective, but I'm pretty sure I've felt the area where the chip is located, to be much hotter than it is now. It is hot, but not the absolutely hottest that its been. At those times, the fan has been fairly loud.

I'm doing all windows suggested updates, and after a reboot, I'll go to the Lenovo driver site and update all suggested drivers there, as well. I'll report back if that does anything.

I've already decided after purchasing a new keyboard and upgrading new ram in the last couple of years, that I'd do no more repairs on this---instead of replacing a fan, I'd just get a new laptop. So if I CAN keep this rig going for a while longer, I'd like to squeeze another year out of it. But it will have to be with duck tape, not with new hardware. :)
Time to break out the new one.

Have you cleaned the fan out? I have a gaming laptop with a higher end graphics card and it has a dual fan setup, it can get very hot during games that push its limits. I have to clean the fans out every few months just because the amount of dust that builds up in them. It may be trying to engage the fan to a higher RPM but can't because it is too clogged.
Yes, I'd open it up if possible and hit it with compressed air.

This.

It's incredibly common for the heatsink that the fan blows on to get completely caked-over with dust, so the fan is working its little heart out but isn't moving any air. You'll hear it screaming but no hot air is coming out of the vent. If you've got a compressor some air in the can you can blow it out using short bursts to not over-speed the fan, or, if you want to be extra careful, stop the fan from spinning with something while you do this.

Clean it out was my first thought also. Dust accumulates.

Second thought: what is it sitting on? Cooling is not 100% accomplished by the fan. If you're using it on a soft surface like bedsheets, or on your lap, then heat cannot radiate out.

Its sitting on an old cooling pad without this pads fan being engaged, it doesn't work. But pad itself provides a nice gap between laptop and desk.
Clean it out was my first thought also. Dust accumulates.

Second thought: what is it sitting on? Cooling is not 100% accomplished by the fan. If you're using it on a soft surface like bedsheets, or on your lap, then heat cannot radiate out.

Back