Is Jump Starting Still A Viable Practice?

With all of the advanced electronics on today's vehicles, is it still safe to jump start a dead battery from another running vehicle? Are different techniques or precautions needed? Is it possible to fry a computer or other delicate electronics jump starting? I ask because someone at a Jeep forum I visit suggested it will damage your electronics.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know there are all sorts of horror stories out there. However, I've jump started all sorts of vehicles at the airport over the last 30 years. Pilots and passengers often leave their high end vehicles for weeks or months at a time. It is common to find them stone dead or nearly so. I simply hook up my jumper cables, then start my car or truck and let it run for 5 mins, which helps charge the dead battery. Then crank the dead vehicle, which almost always starts.

Not once have I had a disaster.

Just looked at the owner's manual for a 2022 Honda and it includes instructions for jump-starting. Only out of the ordinary thing it mentions is some of the warning lights for VSA, TPMS, etc may remain on - but is normal - and to just drive faster than 12 mph (pretty much same thing that happens when you add air to a tire after the TPMS lights).

I’m not afraid of jump starting another vehicle. I’m afraid of dealing with someone who needs a jump start. I used to pick up hitchhikers, I used to offer jumps, now I just keep going.

I'm personally not worried about it and wouldn't hesitate to jump a stranded vehicle or any of my own. Since a dead battery is not an uncommon occurrence, manufacturers would be foolish not to make the vehicle electronics robust enough to handle a jump start. I'm of the opinion that even if it's not 100% clean power coming from the donor vehicle, the battery should still act as a filter to absorb any transients / voltage spikes that might occur when first hooking up the cables or during the jump start sequence.

I’m sorry. Off track. I never had a problem using my cars to jump others. I do ensure that stranded motorists i come across need a call to 911 for police assistance. That’s as far as I go now

The jumping vehicles alternator will be outputting the same 14.2VDC as the one one the car with the dead battery. The risk is much greater for the vehicle doing the jumping than the one getting it.
I jumped a guy one time, cables were mine but I hooked up my end then let him hook his car up...he started by putting my hot onto his ground. I didn't suffer any permanent damage other than partially melted clamps on the cables.

I received some advice a long time ago from a very seasoned and respected mechanic who told me to turn on the rear defroster if equipped or maybe seat heater if equipped, just a reasonable load item to direct any possible surge away from the ECM or PCM. Has always worked for me

If you want control of the situation, and are lucky enough to be the party with the running car, take the keys from the dead car and hold them. Tell the victim that you're hooking up all the cables, but they're allowed to call "stop" if they don't like what they're seeing.

Then start your car, let things charge up, and hand the keys over when you're ready for the victim to try.

There are two sorts of victims out there, legitimate ones who either left a light on or just discovered their battery expired. And ghetto trash who "know it all" and who'll be in their car hitting the key seconds after you make the connection. You'll be lucky if the latter don't "test" your battery and alternator by sparking the clips together.

As far as damaging electronics, if the recipient car has, say, an arced connection to a battery post that causes high resistance, this also eliminates or reduces that battery's ability to filter power. If a donor comes along with an already running car and starts scraping the jumper leads against painted metal, sparks flying, for a "better connection" I can see that causing issues.

in today's day & age I would not offer a jump to or ask for a jump from a stranger. reasonable chance you will end up being accused of damaging their car. not worth it. everyone has a cell phone they can call auto service, 911, family member, etc.

this is also why I stopped helping people with car repairs/home repairs. you will forever be blamed for anything that goes wrong in the future no matter how unrelated it may be to the service you performed. I replaced a friends brake pads once. he bought the pads, cheapest ones at the discount auto store. many years later his wife took the car back to me because the brakes were squeaking. the pads were still fine but were glazed and a bit grooved, so I sanded them and rotated them, added more anti-squeal grease. she was upset that I didn't put new pads on at my expense, I told her it wasn't necessary and they were way out of warranty anyway. several years later she brought the car back again demanding I fix the recurring squeak. I said no, and that was the end of that friendship.

I will not jump anybody else's vehicle. I had to jump my Silverado from my wife's Hyundai because I left my travel trailer plugged in with the trailer batteries turned off-so it drained the truck- battery. It was so dead It took awhile to juice it up.

Someday I’ll buy a set of jumper cables and move to Maine. As long as I’m in New Jersey it’s call 911 and keep on keeping on.
Where I live, if you call 911 for a dead battery, that will yield nothing but a really PO-ed 911 operator and a stern warning not to do it again.

The only failure I've seen from jump starting a vehicle were with my sister's car that her idiot neighbor hooked up backwards. I don't see how it should be any different than a regular start if done correctly. 12 volts ish at the right polarity should be transparent to systems in a car.

Back